Mobil 1 EP prices up at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the price of crude does affect the price of motor oil...after a suitable delay. Motor oil prices will come down if crude stays below $80/barrel. The deals are coming, patience.

I thought REAL synthetic oils aren't made from petroleum? Amsoil, at least in the 90's, said theirs was derived from ethanol.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I thought REAL synthetic oils aren't made from petroleum? Amsoil, at least in the 90's, said theirs was derived from ethanol.

AMSOIL buys base oils from Mobil (among others) and yes, Group IV and many Group V products still come out of the refinery. Even though they are synthesized, the building blocks still come out of the distillation tower.

A knowledgeable member posted on this a few days ago in another thread.

Also, the product used is ethylene, not ethanol.

You maybe are confusing ethanol with ethylene?

Ethylene is a by-product of fluid catalytic cracking and an on-purpose product of steam cracking petroleum. Ethylene can also be produced on-purpose by dehydrogenation of ethane recovered from natural gas production.

The only lubricants I can think of that are produced from any alcohol are the GTL bases in which natural gas is converted to methanol as an intermediate step to producing GTL fuels & lubricants.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

Ethylene is a by-product of fluid catalytic cracking and an on-purpose product of steam cracking petroleum. Ethylene can also be produced on-purpose by dehydrogenation of ethane recovered from natural gas production.

The only lubricants I can think of that are produced from any alcohol are the GTL bases in which natural gas is converted to methanol as an intermediate step to producing GTL fuels & lubricants.

DBMaster: This is the guy I was talking about. He posted rather extensively on this topic in another thread (where the various bases come from). It was very educational
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Droopy
As much as I don't agree with Wal-Mart and how they treat/pay their employees, I'll save money where I can.

That is a highly charged statement as far as I'm concerned. If we care enough about stopping WM from doing things we don't like we would have to go elsewhere, be prepared to pay more, and make sure we did what we could to communicate this to WM management.

They are counting on the fact the Americans (people, in general) vote with their wallets.

I'm not being critical of you. It's just something I've realized for a good while. Very few put their money where their mouths are.

Regardless of how they treat their own, they are providing much cheaper products than anyone else to 316+ million Americans. The economic benefits are in favor of everyone who has to purchase goods to survive, which is the majority of us. If walmart employees feel mistreated, they aren't forced to work there. I know several people employed at Walmart and most of them like it. They don't always like how busy it is but they aren't unsatisfied with Walmart. I love walmart and i love their prices. They have certainly helped me economically by saving me hundreds if not thousands of dollars in merchandise in my life time.

My complaint with Walmart is how they pay their employees. I used to work there and I had a situation they had no idea on how to handle. I'm sure they've changed their ways since then. What irks me is some of their full time employees get paid so little they actually are eligable for public assistance. It's not just Walmart it's other companies as well. In my book if Costco can pay a living wage with awesome benefits, so can other companies. Just my 2 cents and sorry to get off topic.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

DBMaster: This is the guy I was talking about. He posted rather extensively on this topic in another thread (where the various bases come from). It was very educational
thumbsup2.gif

I agree, Nyogtha has definitely introduced some insightful information.

I recall now that the Amsoil sales leader who made the video (on VHS, if that tells you anything about the time period) said their oil was derived from corn. Ethanol was not mentioned. Either way, you guys have given me some good info here.

Originally Posted By: Droopy
My complaint with Walmart is how they pay their employees. I used to work there and I had a situation they had no idea on how to handle. I'm sure they've changed their ways since then. What irks me is some of their full time employees get paid so little they actually are eligable for public assistance. It's not just Walmart it's other companies as well. In my book if Costco can pay a living wage with awesome benefits, so can other companies. Just my 2 cents and sorry to get off topic.

The free market doesn't care how they pay their employees. Work for them, gain some experience, then leave for a better job. If that's the only job you can get, then it's better than nothing and be thankful for it. These minimum wage demands cost people jobs, speed outsourcing and automation.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

thumbsup2.gif

I agree, Nyogtha has definitely introduced some insightful information.

Well, thanks! There's nothing special in my posts other than the honest facts. Glad to see there are those who appreciate that as an evidently fresh perspective here.

I worked in the petroleum industry from 1986 until I retired in 2012 due to health issues precluding my continuing to work.

I worked my way through school and landing jobs in marine transport gave me the funding and background to complete my college education. I've worked in refineries, chemical plants, and storage terminals all along the Gulf Coast from Brownsville, TX to Garyville, Louisiana, as well as in the Midwest.

I have first-hand experience from both a blue collar perspective as well as a white collar perspective with just about every process used to refine petroleum, process natural gas, and some petrochemical / chemical plant processes.

I'm happy to share what I know and glad to see there are those who appreciate that (although like any community, there are already some who take issue with me doing so).

I plan to stick around and keep contributing to discussions here.

Last edited:
Too bad, I was just about to buy some for an oil change. M1 EP + Fram Ultra is my preferred setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back