Mobil 1 EP Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of the bad reports on these like the Purolators? I got a good deal on several earlier today and the same model can be used for all three of my cars, so thought I would give them a try.

Don't think I've heard of any tears on the Mobil 1 filters. I look forward to seeing the filter internals at the end of your OCI.

Will do. They will be going on all three cars, so I will have several pics to share...in the weeks ahead.

M1 filters cause cold start rattle on my V6 Camry...as do Royal Purple filters,

I use a longer than stock M1 on my V8 4Runner (M1-209). The oil gets darker but never appears to get dirty. These 4.7L Toyota V8's are very good engines. About 10 years ago I cut a couple of them up to look inside. They just looked like nearly new filters covered in darker than new engine oil. I plan on continuing to use this filter and I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for it.

What's the efficiency rating of the M1 filters? Mobil has absolutely zero on their website about the efficiency. Is it another 50% @ 20 micron full synthetic like the WIX XP?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What's the efficiency rating of the M1 filters? Mobil has absolutely zero on their website about the efficiency. Is it another 50% @ 20 micron full synthetic like the WIX XP?

The K&N used to be almost identical and Motorking knew they were "mid 90s" efficiency when they were made in the USA so my educated guess is approximately 95% @20 microns but holding capacity is pretty good too.

Sorry I didn't have facts but it's surely better than the Wix XP initial efficiency.

I've used M-1 for years without a problem. I only cut one open once (so far), and it was quite intact and doing well after 4k miles.

I'll be cutting one open late next month with 8k miles. We'll see.

Search for Advance Auto Parts coupons, and you can buy them in bulk online, with in-store pickup, and get them for about $9 instead of $12. When I say "bulk", I bought 4 for me and 4 for my wife in order to qualify for the discount.

I should also mention that I've done UOAs with M-1 filters, and the insolubles came back as negligible in all cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Search for Advance Auto Parts coupons, and you can buy them in bulk online, with in-store pickup, and get them for about $9 instead of $12. When I say "bulk", I bought 4 for me and 4 for my wife in order to qualify for the discount.

Yep, I ordered mine from there for right at $8 each and free shipping to my house.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The M1 filters are always pristine when cut open, nice straight thick pleats.

They did with my Jeep as well. Other family vehicles don't seem to mind them. Good filters otherwise.

I have used them nearly exclusively in both my Toyota 1MZ-FE and 1NZ-FE. No startup noise or anything, and after a combined 500,000+ miles no abnormal consumption either. So they must be doing their job.

Other filters are just as good I'm sure, but these seem like well made filters. I got a bunch when Farm & Fleet had them on sale for $4.99, and then a bunch more when about a week later they were on sale again for $3.99.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I have used them nearly exclusively in both my Toyota 1MZ-FE and 1NZ-FE. No startup noise or anything, and after a combined 500,000+ miles no abnormal consumption either. So they must be doing their job.

Good to hear--thanks!

And if you get weird noise, then try something different.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Good to hear--thanks!

I've used them on my wife's v-8 Explorer and my Contour with the 2.0L Zetec, never any known problems. In fact the one currently on my Contour will have been in service for 24 months and ~8500 miles come the end of Oct. I'm planning on changing the PP that's in there and running Formula Shell for ~5000 miles, using the same filter, until October 2015. The car is only operated late April till late Oct and mainly highway. It's basically used for vacation travel.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back