Mobil 1 EP HM vs Amsoil signature series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was time to do an oil change on my 1990 Chevrolet C1500 350 V8 which is in mint condition btw. Originally put in an order for Amsoil ss 5w30 but 5 qts came out to be a little over $77 by the time shipping and tax was added...and this is preferred customer pricing too. Later in the day I went to Walmart and saw they had M1 EP HM for only $26 for the 5 qt jug. M1 says it’s good for 20k miles, Amsoil is good for 25k Miles...which really doesn’t matter to me since this is a show truck that’s rarely driven and is changed every year regardless. Both companies say it’s good for 1 year. I promptly cancelled the Amsoil order and bought the Mobil 1 EP. I simply cannot justify the nearly $50 difference for only 5k miles extra drain mileage for the Amsoil, especially on a truck that’s only driven to classic car shows and occasional pleasure driving. Am I missing something?? Is Amsoil REALLY that much better than Mobil 1’s top tier oil?? I attached both recipients so you can see the price difference yourselves.

Attachments

• 030C80EF-F45A-4488-AA26-ECBF14B4748B.jpeg
    030C80EF-F45A-4488-AA26-ECBF14B4748B.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 54
  • FED892ED-3D42-4C7E-922D-1B8E0BE3BBED.jpeg
    FED892ED-3D42-4C7E-922D-1B8E0BE3BBED.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 53
Cool truck, I remember them as a kid. Any specific reason why you went HM with the Mobil 1? Is it needed? Just wondering.

Why would you want to run suck a high end oil in a truck that sits in the garage most of its life. Pour some supertech synthetic in there and be happy. Amsoil is oil. Good oil but it does break down like other oils just slower. Quite a few youtube videos say Pennzoil ultra platinum is eye to eye with Amsoil SS in all tests. Its currently $25 at walmart.com.

I doesn't sound like you think the Amsoil is worth it, and I would have to agree.

Cool truck, I remember them as a kid. Any specific reason why you went HM with the Mobil 1? Is it needed? Just wondering.
It’s a flat tappet engine and the hm oils have more anti wear additives I’ve heard

It’s a flat tappet engine and the hm oils have more anti wear additives I’ve heard
When did Chevy 350 get roller cam?

ANSWER. GM first began installing roller cams in some Chevrolet small-block, V8-equipped cars in 1987. But OE roller-cam installations in trucks didn't occur until 1995.

And I thought all small block Chevy's got roller cams in 1987

Nope, if it's modern ILSAC oil it's gonna be limited all the same. If you truly need higher zinc try Valvoline VR1 or Mobil1 15W-50, but that being said a stock 350 truck motor probably isn't high revving or have high enough valve lift on stiff enough springs to require high ZDDP, and will likely run just fine on any modern spec oil.

Once again, Amsoil still has their free shipping on orders over $49 for preferred members. Use code CC07225SH. That should lower your bill by $10 plus the tax on the $10.

You've heard? From whom did you hear? Did you check spec sheets, do or see a Virgin Oil Analysis? In any case, Amsoil is way, way more than you need to spend.

And then of course:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back