Mobil 1 EP HM 0W20 VOA

Here we go, guys. Pretty much identical to the non-high mileage version. Slightly higher viscosity, but probably within margin of error. It is the thickest (by a slim margin) 0W20 SP oil I've seen, just edging Amsoil's cSt of 8.52. The TBN is 6.9, the non-high mileage version came in at 7.0.

M1EPHM0W20.jpg

Thanks for the VOA.

Heard this is subpar oil because it has 30-40% pao as opposed to 60-70 in the non hm version and i can kinda somewhat agree but group 3 base stocks are real good these days.

How long are you planning on using it in your vehicle.

I doubt that the HM oil is subpar, it is just used for a different purpose. The difference in PAO content may be a blend of GIII, ester and/or AN. GIII reduces cost to balance ester and AN treatment costs. Esters and AN will add to the detergency of the oil. PAO is relatively poor in this area.

Thanks for the VOA.

Heard this is subpar oil because it has 30-40% pao as opposed to 60-70 in the non hm version and i can kinda somewhat agree but group 3 base stocks are real good these days.

How long are you planning on using it in your vehicle.
No more than a year, which should come out to ~5000 miles.

a 20K rated oil "subpar" lol.
Never said it was subpar but that it was considered that by some who compare it to the non hm version with more pao and i kind of get the sentiment but i don't really care about pao since group 3's are extremely good and mobil knows what they're doing with their formulations.

The P/Zn levels do seem abnormally low. I thought the API SP standard has some minimums?
Or is this another example of a Blackstone issue?
Yeah the p/zn levels are pretty low and i too thought sp had higher minimums to meet the standard. i guess i wasn't the only one who thought blackstone is at fault.

The P/Zn levels do seem abnormally low. I thought the API SP standard has some minimums?
Yeah the p/zn levels are pretty low and i too thought sp had higher minimums to meet the standard. i guess i wasn't the only one who thought blackstone is at fault.
There was a lot of discussion about this when I posted the non-HM version VOA. It's not Blackstone. There are VOAs of the same oil from other labs that show the same low levels of Ph and Zn. There is even a video sponsored by Mobil 1 where someone posted where M1 did a VOA of their own 0W20 oil and the Ph/Zn levels were similarly low. The guy in the video used Blackstone as a 2nd source and the results were similarly low, but still higher than Mobil 1's results.

The one annoying thing I have noticed about Blackstone over the years is they invariably use the phrase TBN looks strong whether it is an old school diesel oil of 15 or some newer emissions oil at 5… A phrase such as while tbn of 6.2 is relatively lower-it is consistent with a low saps formulation and if often bolstered with additives that help retention… Wr have observed this in used oil analysis of oils using this type of formulation….
I just think Blackstone has this cut and paste phrase TBN looks strong that seems meaningless because they use it whether an oil is model-hot, or more homely…

The one annoying thing I have noticed about Blackstone over the years is they invariably use the phrase TBN looks strong whether it is an old school diesel oil of 15 or some newer emissions oil at 5… A phrase such as while tbn of 6.2 is relatively lower-it is consistent with a low saps formulation and if often bolstered with additives that help retention… Wr have observed this in used oil analysis of oils using this type of formulation….
I just think Blackstone has this cut and paste phrase TBN looks strong that seems meaningless because they use it whether an oil is model-hot, or more homely…
I have to agree with you there.

That is pathetic.

Phosphorus is well below API minimums. How are they able to put an API starburst on that?

Starting B is
TBN is only 6.9... :cautious:

Moly is
Getting stingy, aren't they?

That is pathetic.

Phosphorus is well below API minimums. How are they able to put an API starburst on that?

Starting B is
TBN is only 6.9... :cautious:

Moly is
Getting stingy, aren't they?
One has to wonder. No explanation for it.

As a comparison:

Valvoline EP

moly 303
B 127
P 746
Zn 875

Polymer esters are a type of synthetic oil that is made by reacting an ester with a polyol. They are often used as lubricants because they have good thermal stability and low volatility. PAO metallocenes are a type of synthetic oil made from polyalphaolefins (PAOs) and metallocene catalysts. They are known for their good thermal stability and low volatility, as well as their excellent shear stability. OSPs (overbased sulfonates) are a type of detergent that is used to enhance the anti-wear and minimum film properties of lubricating oils. They are made by reacting a base oil with an excess of sulfuric acid, and then neutralizing the acid with a metal oxide or hydroxide. OSPs are effective at reducing the levels of zinc dialkyldithiophosphates (ZDDPs) in lubricating oils while maintaining good anti-wear and minimum film properties.

Same here. How do they get away with such low amounts? Are the cars only supposed to last 100k miles, if that?? Maybe timing belts instead of chains.
Edit: I just read Molakules post.

Back