Mobil 1 EP and GM 4718M ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 does NOT list 5W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil as meeting the "GM Corvette Spec" (GM 4718M) anywhere on the bottle or on the website.

I emailed Mobil 1 about this and they replied that it DOES meet the GM 4718M, and that I can use it.

BUT, I am cautious, why wouldn't they list this on the bottle or website?

Could it be that the "extra additives" detract from it meeting this spec? Your opinions wanted.

the two GM specs mean something because GM manages the spec lists, unlike some other mfg specs (Ford's for instance) that any oil can say they meet just by printing it on the bottle. if you are concerned about it, contact, General Motors Engine Oil Chairman, at the Joslyn Road facility, Pontiac, MI.

if Good Mother doesn't say it's on the list, it ain't on the list.

I just noticed that also, because my Caddy SRX also came from the factory with M1. I assumed the EP being an upgraded version of M1 had to spec GM4718.

They are trying to differentiate the product line. M1 10w30 also meets GM 4718M but they took it off the bottle to avoid confusion.

Mobil likes to strictly recommend what is called for in your owners manual.

Originally Posted By: buster
They are trying to differentiate the product line. M1 10w30 also meets GM 4718M but they took it off the bottle to avoid confusion.

Mobil likes to strictly recommend what is called for in your owners manual.

I noticed that this past week when I stocked up on 5W/30 and 10W/30 regular M1 for my oil changes. The 5W had the 4718M spec I needed written on the bottle, but the 10W didn't. That's pretty stupid to me not to list that your oil passes a certain requirement.

You're 'Vette is 10 years old.

Use whatever you want in it - you don't have a warranty you can void by not using a 4718M oil. After seeing Patman's results using GC 0W-30 in his 1998 'Vette, I'd say that oil is just about perfect for Corvette's.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Mobil 1 does NOT list 5W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil as meeting the "GM Corvette Spec" (GM 4718M) anywhere on the bottle or on the website.

While GM4718M spec did originally start with the Corvette in 1992 with the LT-1 engine but it's no longer just for Corvettes. It's across the board now for many models.

Last edited:
Well, if GM has to test every oil themselves for it to meet a spec, that may be the issue. Mobil 1 EP is fairly new and GM is fairly bankrupt. They may not be worried about testing every single oil that comes out to see if it meets spec and maybe just a select few from each oil company. I may be completely off base.

Good answers guys, your responses make sense. I am currently running Castrol Edge in my Corvette, to see if I can reduce high lead (wear) readings from Mobil 1.

BUT, I may try M1 EP next.

Is it possible that the engines in your car, GM V8s, produce high wear metals? I noticed the oil study in the link below showed high wear numbers for both Amsoil and M1 oils and the test was done on a GM V8. Maybe not the same engine as yours, but a cousin to it. My Ford V8 has very low wear numbers with M1, so is the problem your designed engine?

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

The M1 link can be found there as well.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Is it possible that the engines in your car, GM V8s, produce high wear metals? I noticed the oil study in the link below showed high wear numbers for both Amsoil and M1 oils and the test was done on a GM V8. Maybe not the same engine as yours, but a cousin to it. My Ford V8 has very low wear numbers with M1, so is the problem your designed engine?

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

The M1 link can be found there as well.

Here is a UOA on one of those GM designed V8s...

c7485512copy2xm.jpg

Thanks Bill for finding that. I still noticed the averages are still a little high compared to other types of engines, but this engine did well on Chevron dino.

Also this morning I e-mailed Mobil tech and they responded right back on the m1 5-30EP meeting the GM4718m SPEC. They said it does meet the spec.

EP does meet both GM specs. They do not list it on the bottles since GM does not recommend 15,000 mile oil change intervals on any of their cars. It is a liability issue if they guarantee 15,000 mile interval and GM states change oil according to your owner's manual recommendation - whether by time, mileage or oil life monitor. 5w30 & 10w30 EP are the most roboust Mobil 1 in their weight class followed by High Mileage 10w30 Mobil 1 then 5W30 Truck & SUV Mobil 1 then regular Mobil 1. Yes, Mobil 1 5w40 Truck & Diesel is very roboust because of their zinc & phosphorus content is not limited by the EPA GF-4 rating. Also, the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil have twice the phosphorus and zinc as the GF-4 limits for great wear protection and they do not have friction modifiers.

Logical points about Mobil not wanting to muddy the waters with GM, considering their supply relationship with GM and the potential conflict 15000 miles would introduce with their oil life monitor. Unlike Castrol, who now admits in writing on the Edge website that Syntec does not and essentially never met GM4718M, Mobil already has 3 Mobil 1 viscosities that are already approved and on the list.

Just to let you know, someone says that he recently saw that on the bottle of M1 10w30, the 4718m specs was gone and I'm kinda glad with my personal experience. (not a big experience but still)

On my 2005 cadillac cts, it required the 4718m specs. It always had Mi 5w30 and was glad of the results. It used to drink 1qt per 4-6k miles dependinf of my driving style.

Couldn't find 5w30 so I took M1 10w30. The engine started to drink 1qt per 600 miles-1k miles. On short drive, it wouldn't take a drop. As soon as I was on the highway for more than 1 hour, it started to drink the oil. I switched to PP 5w30 and now I'm at 1qt per 3000-3500 miles.

Its just my personal experience with my car and my type of driving. Maybe I will try the EP 5w30 on my next oil change.

-Mark.

Originally Posted By: joflewbyu2
EP does meet both GM specs. They do not list it on the bottles since GM does not recommend 15,000 mile oil change intervals on any of their cars. It is a liability issue if they guarantee 15,000 mile interval and GM states change oil according to your owner's manual recommendation - whether by time, mileage or oil life monitor. 5w30 & 10w30 EP are the most roboust Mobil 1 in their weight class followed by High Mileage 10w30 Mobil 1 then 5W30 Truck & SUV Mobil 1 then regular Mobil 1. Yes, Mobil 1 5w40 Truck & Diesel is very roboust because of their zinc & phosphorus content is not limited by the EPA GF-4 rating. Also, the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil have twice the phosphorus and zinc as the GF-4 limits for great wear protection and they do not have friction modifiers.

Who is this guy and how does he come off sounding so authoritative?

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: joflewbyu2

Who is this guy and how does he come off sounding so authoritative?

He's joflewbyu2 thats who!
LOL.gif
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back