Mobil 1 EP 5w30 vs. Mobil Delvac LE 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here, so would firstly like to say hello! I've been an avid reader of BOB for a while, and greatly appreciate being able to learn from the wisdom and experience of so many knowledgeable users!

One of my current vehicles is a 2001 V6 Toyota 4Runner with about 150k on it. For years I've used Mobil 1 EP 5w30, but recently read about Mobil Delvac LE 5w30. The general consensus on this forum seems to be that the commercial Delvac products are superior lubricants compared to the consumer grade Mobil 1 products. If this is true, then would I be correct to assume that switching to Delvac 5w30 would be beneficial?

Thank you!

IIRC, LE 5w-30 is a targeted lubricant designed to protect diesel engines with complex emissions system.

EP is specifically for gassers. I would stick with the EP.

Hi,
donvalley - Welcome to BITOG

As a user of both products my comments are relevant I expect

The Delvac range is a Commercial line of products tracing their heritage back many decades. They are top of the tree in general terms and are cost effective when used as intended. As Commercial products they target Commercial users and typically have OEM Approvals and of course specific API and ACEA qualifications

In your case I would stay with M1 EP 5w-30

Stay with M-1 5w30EP....I would be interested in how long your OCI's are....what filter your using....and have you had a analysis done.

Reason: My son owns a 04' 4Runner, but runs conventional with 5000 mile OCI.

Thank you for all the feedback - will stick with M1 EP as recommended for use in the 4Runner.

Part of the reason for considering the switch to the Delvac LE was its higher HTHS vs. 3.0 for the EP, which I thought would be beneficial. But, as suggested, perhaps the M1 EP provides adequate performance for my application.

I try to maintain a consistent OCI of about 4000 miles, and use either a stock Toyota oil filter or an M1. From what I've read, either of those filters seem to be among the preferred choices. I've not yet had an oil analysis done, but am seriously considering it.

Do you really need higher HTHS?

If you want to do 4000-mile OCI, i would choose regular m1 5w30, or 0W30 AFE.

I was under the impression that a higher HTHS value was better, in that it can provide better wear protection....but I'm admittedly pretty new to all this stuff and so could be mistaken. From what I've learned on BITOG, I guess what's "best" depends on the application. And based on the feedback I've received from people far more knowledgeable about these matters than me, seems as though M1 with an HTHS of 3.0 is the way to go for my vehicle.

A 4000 mile OCI seems pretty low for an EP oil...but figured the added protection afforded by the EP package might be beneficial in minimizing wear as compared to regular M1. Just trying to get the engine to last as long as I can, I guess!
smile.gif

If you want your engine to last as long as you can, i would use 0w oil in winter, especially if it sits outside.

You might need higher HTHS value if you beat your car, like track racing or autocross. Otherwise your car will never notice the difference.

4000 miles with EP is absurd to say the least. Top shelf synthetics last exceptionally long in service and running short intervals is nonsense.
Ep stands for extended performance,as in more miles b
The ep line is guaranteed by mobil for 15000 miles,the standard line for 10000 miles. I suggest using them as directed.

Originally Posted By: donvalley
Thanks....but use 0w30 even though the Manual specifies 5w30? Is M1 AFE as good as M1 EP?

I have used M1 0-20AFE for years at 10K OCIs. Both engines are very clean, sound great, and show no signs of engine wear.

Thank you everyone for your advice - I greatly appreciate all the help! As suggested, I'll extend the OCI with M1 EP and run AFE 0W during the winter months.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 5w30
11, 61.7, 172, 3.1, -42

Mobil 1 5w30EP
10.6, 59.8, 169, 3.0, -40

Mobil 1 5w30HM
11.7, 69.2, 165, 3.3, -39

Mobil 0w30
10.9, 62.9, 166, 3.0, -50

I wouldn't even use the EP. Mobil1 5w30 looks good enough and cheaper. 0w30 for Canadian winter is good too but can be used year round

Thank you everyone for your advice - I greatly appreciate all the help! As suggested, I'll extend the OCI with M1 EP and run AFE 0W during the winter months.
smile.gif

I would use the same oil year round. Switching oils from summer to winter is very old school.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Mobil 1 5w30
11, 61.7, 172, 3.1, -42

Mobil 1 5w30EP
10.6, 59.8, 169, 3.0, -40

Mobil 1 5w30HM
11.7, 69.2, 165, 3.3, -39

Mobil 0w30
10.9, 62.9, 166, 3.0, -50

I wouldn't even use the EP. Mobil1 5w30 looks good enough and cheaper. 0w30 for Canadian winter is good too but can be used year round

Thanks for the specs comparison. What I found particularly interesting is that the 0W30 oil has a higher viscosity at 40 degrees than the M1 and EP. I would have expected the opposite.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
4000 miles with EP is absurd to say the least.
.....................................................................................
I suggest using them as directed.

I would suggest using them as directed by the vehicle manufacturer not the oil manufacturer despite the warranty offering available.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the feedback - will stick with M1 EP as recommended for use in the 4Runner.

Part of the reason for considering the switch to the Delvac LE was its higher HTHS vs. 3.0 for the EP, which I thought would be beneficial. But, as suggested, perhaps the M1 EP provides adequate performance for my application.

I try to maintain a consistent OCI of about 4000 miles, and use either a stock Toyota oil filter or an M1. From what I've read, either of those filters seem to be among the preferred choices. I've not yet had an oil analysis done, but am seriously considering it.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
4000 miles with EP is absurd to say the least. Top shelf synthetics last exceptionally long in service and running short intervals is nonsense.
Ep stands for extended performance,as in more miles b
The ep line is guaranteed by mobil for 15000 miles,the standard line for 10000 miles. I suggest using them as directed.

Agree....that 4000 OCI on a synthetic is a waste of $$$ and good resources. Using a 4000 OCI, just switch to a conventional oil such as Pennzoil YB. Its a good oil and will easily do 4 to 5,000 OCI.The EP is designed for up to 15,000 mile OCI, so IMO, you should be able to do a minimum of 9 to 10,000 OCI

If you insist on a shorter OCI (not 4000 please), just use the regular M-1 5w30. You should easily be able to do 7 to 8,000. Save some $$$ and time.

You also might consider a Fram ULTRA filter which is guaranteed for 15,000 and one of the best filters available. You can use it over two oil changes (i.e. 7,500 X 2 = 15,000).

All these oils and filters can be bought a WalMart at very reasonable prices.

I would only add one thing, and that's about cost. I suspect you, being in Canada, would be able to find the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 at a much better price than Mobil 1 EP (i.e. less than half), although you'd have to buy plenty of it. That being said, the ILSAC rated M1 EP 5w-30 is the proper choice for your vehicle. Don't be shy about extending your OCIs using M1 EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back