Mobil 1 EP 5w-30. Awesome oil.

I was thinking of running it in my lexus is350 but its been on a steady pup and pp oci since I've owned it..... so wont be switching for that unless it starts burning oil again. However on my brothers vette I will be using the 5w30 EP due to it being more shear stable and such.

I was thinking of running it in my lexus is350 but its been on a steady pup and pp oci since I've owned it..... so wont be switching for that unless it starts burning oil again. However on my brothers vette I will be using the 5w30 EP due to it being more shear stable and such.
EP or ESP? ESP is what’s listed for current vettes if I recall correctly. Has HTHS of 3.5.

ESP is better than the EP but it’s not made for extended drain intervals.
Then how is it better? Many people who have Vettes (or any other vehichle) want an extended drain oil. In those cases, the ESP is not better than EP. Might be better to state that ESP is the better oil for a regular OCI. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
There are number of people that want best protection instead of extended drain. I am not looking to exceed manufacture recommended OCI for my cars, so I would be more interested in oil that protects better rather than having extended OCI of 20k miles.

There are number of people that want best protection instead of extended drain. I am not looking to exceed manufacture recommended OCI for my cars, so I would be more interested in oil that protects better rather than having extended OCI of 20k miles.
I don't exceed my manufacturer's recommended OCI. My owners manual calls for a 10,000 mile OCI. I want the best Mobil product for that extended drain OCI. ESP is not the better oil in that case, EP is.

If your manufacturer calls for less of an OCI and that is what you are sticking with, then great. In that case, if you want to use the best Mobile product for your application, ESP might be the best for you. Looks like we agree.

10k OCI is not extended, its OEM recommended interval.
It is an OEM extended drain interval. Just because it is OEM doesn't mean it isn't extended drain. It is extended beyond the normal OCI's of 5,000....OEM recommended or not.

ESP is better than the EP but it’s not made for extended drain intervals. It’s the best OTC oil XOM makes to date for consumer use.
Some time ago I asked if ESP was good for extended drain intervals:

The answer was, essentially, that it is.
It is approved for use in some markets up to 18k miles, and 10k in North America.

The discussion is interesting on several points, and like so much here on BITOG, opinions and facts come from all points of view.

Any time I change oil there is a feeling car sounds quiet, some of it might be because oil is new. Its placebo effect.
Some oils run smoother than others and it's down to more than just KV100 rating.
But you have to give a new sump some time for the detergent pack to do a changeover.
You put anything in behind Magnatec or Formula Shell and it will be smoother for a bit. Then it will eventually clean up and get "grabby", then after 600miles and some hard running - it will smooth out again.
Then there is: fueling and ignition and CC cleanliness and ring sticking to consider that lends to overall smoothness and proper cylinder balance.
It's not placebo effect all the time - or even MOST of the time - unless you are easily HYPNOTISED .

Last edited:
I’ve been going back and forth between mobil1 ep and PUP 5w-30 for past 100k miles, and sorry, cant tell what sounds quieter. I tried, but cant. Maybe depends on the car?

I’ve been going back and forth between mobil1 ep and PUP 5w-30 for past 100k miles, and sorry, cant tell what sounds quieter. I tried, but cant. Maybe depends on the car?
Just curious, why do you continue to switch brands?

I’ve filled PUP 5w-30 in the past for several intervals in my turbo 2.0 L Ford ST and found oil on the bottom of my oil pan. When I switched to Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 0w-40, the leak disappeared and the pan remained dry throughout the intervals. I’m sure PUP is excellent but I personally believe it’s too thin.

Back