Mobil 1 EP 5w-30. Awesome oil.

I have to omit I have not been a Mobil 1 fan. But, after reading up on this extended version oil (from this website) I decided to buy 3 jugs awhile back. I was going to use this oil after my Castrol Edge/Magnetic supply was depleted. Well...in went this oil into my daughter's 2007 Rav 4 V6 (187k mi.) just 3 days ago. I have to say w/o a doubt the engine is way smoother. Noticeable difference that even my daughter noticed. The "extended" drain will probably be 1 yr. in duration w/around 7k miles. When Mobil offers a rebate, I will take advantage. BTW....Napa has the oil on "sale" for $28.98 and you'll receive a free hat and Mobil has a mail in offer for a free backpack. (While supplies last.) Very impressive oil. I have quite a lot of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for the Nissan. I would really be curious how the Mobil 1 EP compares w/the PUP. (As well as Ravenol DXG.)

Engine smoothness can be factual and a placebo. But regardless happy that you’re happy and enjoying your choice! That’s the beauty about capitalism, choices galore!

I used PPU and M1 EP 5w30 in the 370z. Both oils did a good job, however, I must admit myself the EP ran a BIT quieter and smoother. But again. It could be in my head.

Pick one the car likes and stick with it. Synth oils are very good today and you really can't go wrong. Maintenance is 1000 times more important than brand of oil, but you do you.

I have to omit I have not been a Mobil 1 fan. But, after reading up on this extended version oil (from this website) I decided to buy 3 jugs awhile back. I was going to use this oil after my Castrol Edge/Magnetic supply was depleted. Well...in went this oil into my daughter's 2007 Rav 4 V6 (187k mi.) just 3 days ago. I have to say w/o a doubt the engine is way smoother. Noticeable difference that even my daughter noticed. The "extended" drain will probably be 1 yr. in duration w/around 7k miles. When Mobil offers a rebate, I will take advantage. BTW....Napa has the oil on "sale" for $28.98 and you'll receive a free hat and Mobil has a mail in offer for a free backpack. (While supplies last.) Very impressive oil. I have quite a lot of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for the Nissan. I would really be curious how the Mobil 1 EP compares w/the PUP. (As well as Ravenol DXG.)
It is excellent oil. However, Mobil1 is not known as smoothest oil.

Almost the same experience, but I only have anecdotal input on my end:

I ran an OCI of PP 5W-30 in my mother's short tripped '13 Impala GDI 3500. This is after coming from a steady diet of Dexos approved Mobil-1 EP.

The car, my ear, my butt nor my mum knew the difference. Mobil appeared to run a little smoother with the hood up, but not really much different in this application/engine. Nothing I could measure in any way.

In this case, I would simply buy between the two based on what was on clearance or had a rebate for. Both oils for me at least; were indistinct from one another.

The car, my ear, my butt nor my mum knew the difference. Mobil appeared to run a little smoother with the hood up, but not really much different in this application/engine. Nothing I could measure in any way.
In what ways did you measure and how (what methodology) did you compare the two oils?

In what ways did you measure and how (what methodology) did you compare the two oils?
As I said... the only if mild difference I noticed was open hood smoothness. Not at all scientific or qualified. For all I know, the difference may have been a tank of different fuel?

This car has soft, squishy engine mounts. It didn't seem to rock and wobble the engine as much with a pan full of Mobil-1 compared to Penzoil Platinum.

🤷‍♂️

As I said... the only if mild difference I noticed was open hood smoothness. Not at all scientific or qualified. For all I know, the difference may have been a tank of different fuel?

This car has soft, squishy engine mounts. It didn't seem to rock and wobble the engine as much with a pan full of Mobil-1 compared to Penzoil Platinum.

🤷‍♂️
I've actually heard vice versa from others.

Since we bought the 07 Rav 4 w/143k miles, I've only used Castrol 5w-30 oils. Now @ 187K I went w/the Mobil 1 EP oil. In this context, I've found the EP oil to make the engine run and idle much smoother. How it compares w/Pennzoil Ultra or other oils I don't know. It will be interesting after two more oil changes when I use up my EP and I switch oil or perhaps continue to use the Mobil oil? (I have to use up some of my 6 jugs of Chevron Supreme SP I just bought when it was $10 a 5 qt. jug @ WW.) The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has been fantastic in our Nissan MR20 DD engine! (Not using the "recommended" CAFE 0w-20. The PUP and PU are very light 5w-30 oils and I have found them to work so much better in this engine.)

Any time I change oil there is a feeling car sounds quiet, some of it might be because oil is new. Its placebo effect.

Back