Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 / 4,200 mi / 02 PT Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just my second sample for my car. First report was stellar, and now it's not so hot. This oil was in the car since September, it went through a tough winter of short commutes, and shortly before the sample was taken, I drove to Stamford, CT and back; cruise control at 70mph constantly. Air filter is a 2yo AEM Dryflow and the oil filter was a Mobil 1. First sample was PP 5W-30. Thanks for the input, guys!
oilreport_2_forum.jpg

road salt?mist from cars in front of you ?is it possible? other than that it looks like used oil .The short commutes/startup wear may be seen in the iron count.

Last edited:
Time and time again high Iron with Mobil 1 , this is a 15,000 mile oil run only 4,200 miles with poor results. Switch too any other brand name synthetic and you will get better results. Valvoline Synpower is $4.00 a quart at Walmart run that and I bet your Iron numbers come down.

Do you guys think that the high sodium and shearing may indicate coolant coming from somewhere?

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Time and time again high Iron with Mobil 1 , this is a 15,000 mile oil run only 4,200 miles with poor results. Switch too any other brand name synthetic and you will get better results. Valvoline Synpower is $4.00 a quart at Walmart run that and I bet your Iron numbers come down.

Will Valvoline bring down the sodium?

Originally Posted By: tig1

crackmeup2.gif

Time and time again high Iron with Mobil 1 ....

With some engines.

Toyotas, in particular, seem to love it.

Time and time again high Iron with Mobil 1 , this is a 15,000 mile oil run only 4,200 miles with poor results. Switch too any other brand name synthetic and you will get better results.

Skip the synthetic completely, and switch to a good quality dino. Change it in April and October (to avoid that middle of the winter change). Your mileage seems to be about 5k every six months so this should work out perfect. If you take a road trip, one extra change a year won't kill you.

Check out this UOA on the same engine with Pennzoil YB. Great results on more miles than the Mobil. I am not sure that the Mobil is responsible for the sodium, but you need to try something else to be sure IMO. Who knows, maybe XOM had another formula change and went back to sodium as a cleaner. To my knowledge, Valvoline still uses it in MaxLife, so it may just be an additive.

Unless you plan to run a yearly OCI, you are wasting money on synthetic in this application. Plus I'm not sure a yearly OCI would be a good idea with the winters you get in Michigan.

Originally Posted By: tig1

No love for MC5K?
frown.gif

Time and time again high Iron with Mobil 1 , this is a 15,000 mile oil run only 4,200 miles with poor results.

"but if it is factory fill for porsche...."
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: prax
No love for MC5K?
frown.gif

MC5K would be another GREAT choice for this application, IMO. The PYB example was only because of the other UOA's similar mileage on the same engine. From the recent UOA's, there is no sodium added to MC5K either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gib
What was the previous oil used in this car? I'm curious where that sodium came from. It's definitely not in the M1.

PP 5W-30...it seemed to love it.

Originally Posted By: ctc
The only thing I find alarming is the short OCI....

I like to keep the engine spotless, and 2x/year change with synthetic I've bought on sale is hardly a big expense.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Why did you change from PP? Seems your car loved it. I'd go back to it.

Eh, some sales were too good to pass up. I have about six more oil changes in my stash; two of which are PP. After my stash is used up, I will go back to it as my regular oil.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
Originally Posted By: gib
What was the previous oil used in this car? I'm curious where that sodium came from. It's definitely not in the M1.

PP 5W-30...it seemed to love it.

Huh. PP doesn't use sodium either, so seeing it spike up on this UOA raises a question mark. It's definitely something to watch next UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back