@ 210 ºF 79.5
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.2
Bike KTM
Model 250 SXF
30 hours on bike
6 hours on oil
Do you think I could extend OCI's to 10 hours? The bike currently has a autoclutch installed.

6hrs? if you were traveling at 75mph for 6hrs non stop it would only be 450 miles. why such a short interval?
the sample looks good to me

sunruh's our local dirt bike expert, so I'll be interested to see his opinion.

jkhawaii, this KTM is a very highly strung motorcycle and, like most of the similar kinds of bikes, has very, very short maintenance intervals measured in hours.

I change the oil after 3 races and filter after 18 hours. In 6 hours I will cover around 130 miles. I have read that these small engines really shear the oil and was wondering if I could extend the OCI's. I will probably go 10 hours on the next.

Air filtration is very important on this bike.
Make certain you pratice good filter maintenance and keep it cleaned and properly oiled.
Good idea to have at least two filters and switch them about twice as often as your OCI.

I like to put them in a ziploc after oiling and hang them up, so the excess oil will drip out before installation. An excessively oily filter can mimick rich carb circuits.

I would not extend my changes on this engine. Especially with the higher heat that the auto-clutch creates.
I know at least one of the clutch companies (Rekluse) are recommending ShellRT 15-40.
If it were me, I'd stick with the syn.

scrambler,
from this chart -> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

you can see that after 6 hours you have a nice, middle 40 wt oil.

WHY would you want to add 66% more abuse before changing it?
could it be because you paid a lot for M1 and got no more time out of it than 6 hours?
not to worry, amsoil doesn't want you going over 5 hours on their oil and it costs more.

iron of 11 is a little high.
copper of 6 is as well.

flashpoint is good.

as jaybird said, you need to change your air filter a LOT more often. yes, change it every time you change the oil. period.

i would not recommend going to 10 hours per oil change. but this is not my bike either. the choice is yours. you could run 10 and send it in for another analysis. that would be interesting to see how far it continues to shear down. i'd guess low 40's.

not a horrid report, but not great either.

my recommendation would be switch to a oil that costs half as much and change it twice as often.

THANKS! for posting!!!

Thanks for the input. I change the air filter every two hours with No Toil.
You are correct that I probably shouldn't extend the OCI's. KTM recommends OCI's every 15 hours. Sunruh, what have you found to be the best oil for these (250F's) bikes?

I seem to remember someone saying once that this Mobil 1 wasn't all everyone thought it was...

15 hours is too long, I'm looking for an oil that I can run 10 hrs for the trail tour I'm riding this summer so I don't have to carry 5 quarts of oil with me...

scrambler,
ktm might recommend a oci at 15, but is that the best?
honda says 15 for their crf250r as well, which just so happens to be the same time intervault as their piston change schedule too!!! and we all know how well those valves hold up.

the best oil is NEW oil. if you want a brand or wt, go spend some time reading uoa's on here from simular bikes.

kzoo, easy. depending on temps (but you say summer) either SRT or VR1.

The bike calls for a 50 weight. The VR1 you are referring to is the Valvoline racing 20w50 correct? Have you used this in a wet clutch enviornment?
I also believe that the 15 hour OCI's that KTM calls for is way to long. Although, I would like to have a 50 weight that would last 10 hours.

IVM,
i have yet to receive any oil from any of the people that claimed to be sending me some.
however, if you look at the 2 uoa's from kzoo and his 04yz250f, you will see results that are probably better than what i would end up posting. mostly because when i do a test, it is from a multi hour long race and that is what thrashes the oil the fastest. not to slight kzoo any. he thrashed it pretty good!

scrambler,
you really need 3qts.
1 fill for doing a flush job on whatever you currently have in the bike. run that for a while. dump it. then pour in the same and this will be the sample you send off after thrashing it good.

No slight taken, 100 degree Texas racing is much different than September Michigan trail riding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back