Mobil 1 EP 0w20 Tested - 210,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
210k miles on a dyno....GTFO

Ive used M1 for over 350k miles and none of my engines ever looked that clean.

Marketing at its best!

Last edited:
Buster,
Thanks for the post. I have seen an engine torn down(water ingested and broke a rod) that ran only on M1 with 185K. It looked like new with no measureable wear in the engine. My friend rebuilt the Ford V6 with a new rod and it continued to run fine until the trans finally gave out. 10K OCIs. I know others with 300-400kK with the same kind of results with 10-20K OCIs. None ever did a UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGB7

Marketing at its best!

Between me and my son we put 358K on a Ford V6 with 10-14K OCIs with M1 10-30. When sold the oil always drained very clean, engine appeared clean through the oil fill hole, and never used more oil between changes than when new.

Originally Posted By: KGB7

Marketing at its best!

Mine do.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I guess EP is the equivalent of the regular M1 of the past.

Not really. I have used M1 since 1978 and todays M1 oils(reg M1 included) are equal to and perhaps better than any I have ever used from XM.

"Real world" = the wheels are turning, not a -10F startup and a 2 mile drive to Cumby's to pick up a 1/2 gallon of milk and some donuts and then back home again.

To preempt the usual judgmental comments, one can fill in whole foods, water and bamboo sprouts into the above example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"Real world" = the wheels are turning, not a -10F startup and a 2 mile drive to Cumby's to pick up a 1/2 gallon of milk and some donuts and then back home again.

Going to agree with this. And using an accord/camry, two engines notoriously easy on oil. Though I doubt anything new would fail in a test like this running any synthetic oil. I'd much rather see some UOA's from these intervals.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If Polaris ever gets it done, I have a 10K M1 5W30 EP & Fram Ultra UOA from my xB-with MANY SHORT TRIPS on it!

The Focus gets most of the miles around town. A lot of starts and stops.

Originally Posted By: Shark

Going to agree with this. And using an accord/camry, two engines notoriously easy on oil. Though I doubt anything new would fail in a test like this running any synthetic oil. I'd much rather see some UOA's from these intervals.

It's not about "failed". It's how well does this oil perform. Actually these test include many situtions other than just a constant RPM. Lots of idle, slow speeds, high speeds, WTO. Also some of these test are run with the sump 1-3 Qts low(depending on the engine) for 100-200K at 15-25K OCIs.

Last edited:
kschachn's 300,000 mile Sienna under valve pics show that even 5K OCI with M1 doesn't guarantee a spotless drivetrain, that perhaps a forgiving engine might play a role, also.

That is "real world" as it gets and indicates that the M1 spotless suit of armor consistently claimed can get a dent in it

kschachn's 300,000 mile Sienna under valve pics show that even 5K OCI with M1 doesn't guarantee a spotless drivetrain, that perhaps a forgiving engine might play a role, also.

That is "real world" as it gets and indicates that the M1 spotless suit of armor consistently claimed can get a dent in it

Exactly. I posted pictures of my 00 Century which was religiously serviced with 3K OCI's and Dino oil for a little over 80K miles when I acquired it. The thru the fill hole pictures were nothing to write home about. We often hear comments like 5K oci's for dino and 10K oci's for synthetic oil as being Gospel for all applications under all conditions. Bottom line is blanket statements don't always apply. FTR- I use Mobil 1 oil in two of my vehicles, so this is no attack against them, or any of our members.

I think Mobil oil is great but if you used their EP oil for 15k miles and something went wrong, would they deny you warranty coverage if that mileage was in excess of manufacturer recommendation?

Originally Posted By: tig1

It's not about "failed". It's how well does this oil perform. Actually these test include many situtions other than just a constant RPM. Lots of idle, slow speeds, high speeds, WTO. Also some of these test are run with the sump 1-3 Qts low(depending on the engine) for 100-200K at 15-25K OCIs.

I must have missed where Mobil made an effort to clarify that.

I want to know the wear #'s on the bearings vs new. It seems both Mobil and Amsoil want to boast the longevity of their oil while not providing current data that proves a wear advantage due to the use of the respective brands products.

Amsoil did a Taxi test in Las Vegas and somehow didn't feel the wear#'s on the Main bearings were important. Their deal was the oil was used for 900 hours without sludging. Well, that's nice, but where are the wear #'s.

Marketing at it best. Facts lacking for both. Lot's of DUDU being spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back