Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 D1 G2, 3520miles, 2022 GMC Sierra 6.2L, 2 Labs

Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 Dexos 1 Gen 2
3520 miles on oil
6020 miles on 2022 GMC Sierra 6.2L
Both samples filled from same container and shipped on 30 Nov 2022
Blackstone (Fort Wayne) report 19 Dec 2022
OAI (Indianapolis) report 30 Dec 2022

OAI was a pre-paid USPS first class, no tracking # and my post office said the zip code on the mailer was not a valid address. OAI said that the sample was received by them 28 Dec. I compiled the reports for easier comparison.

1678061907000.jpg

Interesting side by side comparison. Kind of like a second opinion. It's disappointing BS didn't accurately report the fuel dilution. Thanks

Fuel dilution reported by OAI is at least 4x that reported by BS - possibly more. BS fuel dilution is a meaningless number.
Yes, that’s consistent with reports that I’ve seen from blackstone compared with OAI.

Its kinda hard to believe fuel dilution should be that high on a 6.2 gm. Must of had alot of short trips?
Have you seen a lot of dilution with the L87? This is my daily, which has 2-3miles stop and go, then 17miles @ 70mph straightest highway one way, 5 days a week. In and around town on the weekends. Out of 9500 miles currently, 300 and change eng hours, 15.6mpg, 30.5mph average per the computer.

Last edited:
Interesting side by side comparison. Kind of like a second opinion. It's disappointing BS didn't accurately report the fuel dilution. Thanks
As in most of the comparisons I’ve seen, 2-4 times the percentage that blackstone reports is close to actual measured fuel dilution.

2.1% dilution isn't bad. But viscosity and TBN are also pretty different. Not by a lot but not what I would consider margin of error. I haven't tested my 2021's 6.2 but it would probably be around the same or slightly higher. Thinking about doing the first uoa after break in as there isn't a big reason to do it early when metals haven't stabilized. But as for BS their fuel dilution numbers are whack.

I look forward to see what you’re experiencing.

2.1% dilution isn't bad. But viscosity and TBN are also pretty different. Not by a lot but not what I would consider margin of error. I haven't tested my 2021's 6.2 but it would probably be around the same or slightly higher. Thinking about doing the first uoa after break in as there isn't a big reason to do it early when metals haven't stabilized. But as for BS their fuel dilution numbers are

Last edited:
2.1% dilution isn't bad. But viscosity and TBN are also pretty different. Not by a lot but not what I would consider margin of error. I haven't tested my 2021's 6.2 but it would probably be around the same or slightly higher. Thinking about doing the first uoa after break in as there isn't a big reason to do it early when metals haven't stabilized. But as for BS their fuel dilution numbers are whack.
Care to share your analysis?
Debating an XW-30 for the dilution. I’m 0w because I’m at least an 8hr cold soak to negative F start(-26F is the coldest I’ve seen)

Its kinda hard to believe fuel dilution should be that high on a 6.2 gm. Must of had alot of short trips?
Have you seen a lot of dilution with the L87? This is my daily, which has 2-3miles stop and go, then 17miles @ 70mph straightest highway one way, 5 days a week. In and around town on the weekends. Out of 9500 miles currently, 300 and change eng hours, 15.6mpg, 30.5mph average per the computer.
I didn't realize you where from North Dakota, That explains the dilution as we had a cold winter. We realize we can't control Mother Nature, but, well we can only dream. If it was me I would stick with 0w20 and change at 3500 miles in the winter, especially under warranty. I have a Jeep that I use the 0w20 Mobil1 AFE in the winter, when it gets -30 to -40 below it starts and warms up alittle faster than EP, (IMO) as it doen't have a block heater. In the summer I run 0w20 EP with 7500 mile changes, in winter it gets AFE with 3500 mile changes. Them 6.2 GM's are sweet engines.

Care to share your analysis?

Debating an XW-30 for the dilution. I’m 0w because I’m at least an 8hr cold soak to negative F start(-26F is the coldest I’ve seen)
As stated I haven't done an analysis on my 2021's 6.2 yet because I'm going to wait for it to finish breaking in because metals are continuing to decrease still but 2.1% honestly isn't that bad i mean it could be worse. I've seen uoas on here with the oil being like 4 or 5 cst with the amount of dilution it has which Is well over 5%. I wouldn't worry about dilution on your engine, it's minimal.

Back