Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, 6000 miles, 2021 Honda CRV, 12k miles, 1.5 Turbo GDI

2021 Honda CRV with the 1.5 Turbo GDiI, 6000 miles on the oil, 12000 miles on the vehicle.

76A5F628-681F-498D-B7F7-F9DAA091D21D.jpeg

This is sample from drain pan at second oil change on the vehicle, done myself both times with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20, Honda A02 (Fram) filter.

College students car, sees short trips in hot and cold Georgia weather, and some 200 mile long trips home.

Was concerned about the fuel dilution issue so I decided to get oil tested. Oil dipstick seemed like level had gone up a bit but the dipstick design is hard to read. I change oil this time at 30 pct oil life remaining per Maint Minder.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Love to hear everyones thoughts.

If you are concerned about fuel dilution, do yourself a favour and use a different lab that uses GC. I ran the same oil in our 5.7L HEMI and it came back at 8.0cSt with 0.7% fuel. Looking at your viscosity and flash point, you are a LOT higher than that, probably around 5%.

Still breaking in. Silicon and metals will come down. I have found that keeping oil changes <5000 mi will keep the viscosity in spec. Your 200 mile trips have helped to keep viscosity in spec with a longer oil change interval. I've switched to 30 grade oil (0W30, 5W30) to make sure the viscosity stays at least in the 20 grade range when fuel dilution is factored in. If you want to stay with a 20 grade oil, shorten the oil changes to <5000 miles. If you get cold winters, this will make a big difference over the long haul.

Shows that the changeover was a while ago, be interesting to know when the OP bought his oil, because my recent run still had moly at around 80ppm.

Great question, the fill for this oil was Dec 2021, and a look at my Walmart purchase history says I bought some M1 EP in Feb 2021 so that was probably the jug that went in. I tend to keep an oil change at least on hand for every vehicle. I have to admit I have like 2 changes on hand now after the M1 shortage this spring (Could have been due to the EP product changeover).

If you are concerned about fuel dilution, do yourself a favour and use a different lab that uses GC. I ran the same oil in our 5.7L HEMI and it came back at 8.0cSt with 0.7% fuel. Looking at your viscosity and flash point, you are a LOT higher than that, probably around 5%.
Do you have a suggestion for a lab you like? I am in southeast US. This was sent to Blackstone.

Still breaking in. Silicon and metals will come down. I have found that keeping oil changes
Thanks, that make sense. It also has gotten daily 25 mile one way commute driving just about every day this summer, rather than mostly short college campus trips with occasional long trips. It will be interesting to see how this fall/winter impacts the fuel dilution. Vehicle is in Georgia most of the time so not too cold winters.

I will lean towards the 5000 mile OCI as I see what the fuel dilution does. I have thought about the 5w30. I will try to stick with 0w20 while we are in the warranty period if the viscosity doesnt get too bad. Will be fun to watch.

Looking forward to get some tests done on some of the Honda V6s I own, some old, some newish.

Those Honda GTDI engines are known for fuel dilution. I have the 2.0t and run premium fuel and 5w30ESP. If you insist on 0w20 I would dump it at the 3000 mile mark.

Thanks, that make sense. It also has gotten daily 25 mile one way commute driving just about every day this summer, rather than mostly short college campus trips with occasional long trips. It will be interesting to see how this fall/winter impacts the fuel dilution. Vehicle is in Georgia most of the time so not too cold winters.

I will lean towards the 5000 mile OCI as I see what the fuel dilution does. I have thought about the 5w30. I will try to stick with 0w20 while we are in the warranty period if the viscosity doesnt get too bad. Will be fun to watch.

Looking forward to get some tests done on some of the Honda V6s I own, some old, some newish.
To give you an idea of worst case scenario regarding fuel dilution, look at the UOA from 3/19/22 here:
That was my '18 CRV after a brutal winter in a small town with lots of short trips. That oil that thinned down to 5.84 was M1 EP 0W20. This winter we are trying M1 5W30 (regular synthetic, not EP) since I already bought the oil. Moving forward, I'm looking at Euro oils based on some conversation further down in the thread above.

My wife had a 19 crv with the same engine. At the 20K mark the oil started to rise on the dipstick. I measured what came out and gained 1.5 qrts over. The fuel dilution was that bad. She got rid of it for a 19 Pilot for other reasons.

Yes, use Oil Analyzers or Polaris. You can buy the Oil Analyzers kits from the Amsoil website, which makes then very convenient.
I am in process of doing that now. I have a box of those prepaid sample kits from Amsoil and all I need now is to put some more
miles on the car and mail off the samples. I plan some tests with Castrol + Mobil1 since those are easy oils to find or even order
for decent prices.

Yes, use Oil Analyzers or Polaris. You can buy the Oil Analyzers kits from the Amsoil website, which makes then very convenient.
I use Polaris Labs at work and for person use. I found even if you add to the comment section you are looking for fuel dilution #s they use the low quality fuel test in your common run of the test. You have to call them and ask for an "oil analysis interpretation" and then force then to re run the more advance test that will give you the accurate fuel dilution #'s. I have had to do this every time I send them oil. Just a heads up to everyone who sends them oil for fuel dilution figures, that are at the top of the list for their car/truck.

I use Polaris Labs at work and for person use. I found even if you add to the comment section you are looking for fuel dilution #s they use the low quality fuel test in your common run of the test. You have to call them and ask for an "oil analysis interpretation" and then force then to re run the more advance test that will give you the accurate fuel dilution #'s. I have had to do this every time I send them oil. Just a heads up to everyone who sends them oil for fuel dilution figures, that are at the top of the list for their car/truck.
Hmmmm, both mine came with GC fuel right out of the gate, but they were OAI kits ordered through the AMSOIL website.

Can’t say the fuel is hurting much. The wear #s are low for just a second ever oil change on an engine still breaking in.
I would just use 5w30 and keep doing everything else the same but thats just me and the oil so far looks like is doing it’s job

Back