Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W40, Miles 5290, Veh 102308, 2018 Lincoln Navigator L UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2018 Lincoln Navigator L
Engine: 3.5 Liter Ecoboost 2nd generation 450 horsepower
Miles on oil: 5290
Miles on vehicle: 102308
Oil: Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40

Note: I know this is a dual-use HDEO. Posted it here because it was used in a gas engine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Reactions: a5m
Wow - does that Navigator ever stay still!! Over 100K miles on a 2018.

My 2017 F-150 with the 3.5 Eco just hit 20K miles. Good news of the readings -- Ecoboost engines have a great track record.

Well, I dont want to stray off topic but in the interests of full transperancy.

The 10 speed went at 74000 miles and the engines chain, camshaft and phasers replaced at 84000 miles as it had developed the cold start rattle. In total, the truck was out for 3 months. Fortunately all covered under the 150k warranty.

The reason for my experimentation with 5W40 is because I want to use the best oil available at Walmart. I got this particular oil mailorder from Summit Racing. I figured lets use 5W40 and it may not develop the rattle again.

One of my suspicions is the engine was either shearing or diluting the 5W30 oil down to 5W20 territory. As you can see here it pushed the oil down into 5W30 territory.

Im experimenting with the following oils:

- Castrol 5W40 available at your local Walmart oil shelf
- AmazonBasics 5W40 HDEO and Euro
- Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40...already got the UOA on this one and came out great
- and this one Delvac 5W40.

I must tell you that you should probably sell your truck before it hits 70000 otherwise you going to be sinking a lot of cash into it if not under warranty.

My truck is used for Livery work around the NYC area and so its certainly severe service.

If you want to keep that truck I can suggest the following:

- Get a catch can...easy to install but only after warranty expires. Google it and when you read what it does then you will agree its needed. The Ford guy on youtube suggests it but only after warranty expires.

- Use 5W40 oil but dont tell the dealership and they wont ask or if they ask lie. Any 5W40 is better than any 5W30. The Castrol 5W40 at Walmart is easily better than even the topline Amsoil SS 5W30. Thicker is better.

- Have the trans flushed at 25000 miles...costs $300 at dealer. Then again every 50k miles...if the trans lasts that long.

- Change oil on or before 5000 miles and this is to prevent sludge formation. Dont go by the maintenance meter. I would even saying every 4000 miles. The oil itself is not the issue but keeping the system clean and free of contamination.

- If you not comfortable going hdeo route then go to Walmart get Castrol 5W40. Same price as all the other oils. Send in an analysis to Blackstone and you will see how it outperforms your 5W30.

Last edited:
Its not that Ford products are bad...the first 3 model years of any vehicle are usually bad. 1st year especially. From experience I highly suggest to avoid.

IMO the ESP oils are the best oils Mobil is making. Good choice. I use it from the Mobil 1 line up. Oh and I agree about avoiding the first two or three years of a new model, let the early adopters sort the problems out.

Just throwing this out there.. but since you are looking for a 5w40 from walmart...

Delo XSP 5w40 - $19/gal.

Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CK-4, API SN or API SN PLUS service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grade is recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is excellent for use in engines developed to meet 2010 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbocharging, direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power density, intercooling, full electronic management of fuel and emissions system

If you use an HDEO than I would suggest that, on the bottle, it says it can be used with gas engines and it has an API SN or equivalent rating.

I know some Subaru drivers out there like to use Shell T6 5W40 and they come away with some great results but its not rated for gas engines and an email from their company confirms it. I guess the problem is the catalytic converter and a nonrated oil can wear it down prematurely.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/what-the-inside-of-a-torture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html&ved=2ahUKEwjZmcnp4sfmAhV-IDQIHQKDDaMQFjAOegQIAhAE&usg=AOvVaw0gslrIdyjWGuq3e1jhkk3T

Once again you are not working the Ecoboost any harder than Ford testing with 5W30. If Ford determined 30 grades are not viscus enough Ford would step up the grade just like Ford does for other models and power trains.

Originally Posted by Navi
Its not that Ford products are bad...the first 3 model years of any vehicle are usually bad. 1st year especially. From experience I highly suggest to avoid.

That's not always true, the first year the Hyundai Kona came out is its best year in 2018. The next 2 years have issues more then the first year.

If you use an HDEO than I would suggest that, on the bottle, it says it can be used with gas engines and it has an API SN or equivalent rating.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is dual rated, for both spark and compression engines. So is their 5w30. Here's are the links

5w40 LINK
5w30 LINK

I did exactly as Ford suggested. I changed my oil every 7000 miles with Valvoline 5W30 Full Synthetic Maxlife. In fact that goes beyond their suggestions. They tell you to use a 5W30 Semi Synthetic and change when maintenance minder is at 0% which is 10000 miles. The result was my truck being away from me for so long that I had to buy another car to keep on hand as a backup vehicle. So Im done with what Ford suggests. Also Ford never intended this vehicle be used for livery.

I did a lot of research and looked into what others who push their engine do...people like Subaru racers and pickup truck towers. They use 5W40 and get great results.

Ive tested both Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and now Mobil Delvac 1 5W40. Both oils made the engine run smoother and both oils had glowing above average reports from Blackstone.

Im not certain if it matters what 5W40 you use whether it be Delvac or Castrol or even the AmazonBasics 5W40. Any 5w40 will deliver better results and is better suited for severe service than any 5W30. Thicker is better.

I also might point out the cst. It ended up well in 5W30 territory whereas all 5W30s end up 5W20s. This oil did its job and resisted the dilution.

Last edited:
If you are really sold on 40's … Mobil 1 0w40 Euro was on sale at Costco the other day. Several German car approvals. That should run good in your German Ford engine.

F2363FB8-EB3C-4D23-8D97-930F229B9085.jpeg

Last edited:
You have posted about Mobil 1 0W40 a few times in other threads with that same picture.

I would NOT suggest anyone use 0W40 and specifically NOT Mobil 1 0W40 for turbo charged direct injected engines like Subaru or Ford Ecoboost.

Ive examined all the UOAs out there and for some reason 0W40 seems to come back with higher than average iron wear rates. Mobil 1 0W40s viscosity "CST" gets torn down to 0W20 levels in Ecoboost engines. So thats not the best oil for this.

This oil and Ecoboost issue has been going on a while now. There was one post I found most helpful and thats this one by Ron AKA alias. BTW Ron also likes Chevron Delo too.

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-oil-report-259723/index4/#post3740494

I went with Delvac which is the top of his list.

Any UOA Ive seen involving a 5W40 there are never any issues and Blackstone always has great things to say.

They are well known for fuel diluting and long timing chains - I'd never run out to Ford's OLM no matter what oil they are on.

Well, if you do a google search for Mobil 1 FS 0W40 UOAs you will come up with quite a few high iron readouts. Also in Ecoboost and Subaru turbo engines this particular oil seems lose its viscosity. Castrol 0W40 seems to fare better but its not great results coming out of Blackstone.

All of the 5W40s Ive seen handily beat Blackstones averages, keep their viscosity and get praised by Blackstone analysts.

Everyone can do their own homework on this one...

Well, if you do a google search for Mobil 1 FS 0W40 UOAs you will come up with quite a few high iron readouts. Also in Ecoboost and Subaru turbo engines this particular oil seems lose its viscosity. Castrol 0W40 seems to fare better but its not great results coming out of Blackstone.

All of the 5W40s Ive seen handily beat Blackstones averages, keep their viscosity and get praised by Blackstone analysts.

Everyone can do their own homework on this one...

It must be the 0w then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back