Mobil 1 Delvac Elite 222 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a case of this oil, as the local bulk plant claimed the xd3 0w30 i was looking for was discontinued and replaced by the delvac. Ive done some digging and found the oil to be nearly identical in specification to the xd3. Its also CJ-4. I plan on using it in a newer maxima (gas, 3.5L). Does anyone have more info on this oil? I havent been able to turn up much sofar. Attached are related spec. sheets.

Delvac Elite 222

XD3

It's kind of "lite" with a TBN of only 7.7. Not appropriate for long distance OCIs. But too much zinc and phosphorus to be used in a low SAPS application like 229.51.
Might be OK for your application....for a while.

Charlie

If low SAPS see how TBN holds up. Using new VW 504/507 MB 229.51 oils, though goo specs like ACEA A3, TBN just dropped like a rock. The oils protected well, but would not have much longer given the TBN losses.

The issue is the sulfur in gasoline. Diesel is 15 ppm max, and we usually see 5-7, gasoline can be 50ppm.

Now if you get fuel that comes from one of the Irving refineries in Canada, they do a good deal of hydrotreating on their fuel, and it may be a non issue!

ALL this new Delvac oil is is a re-labelling of the XD-3 oil - the exact same thing happened with the XD-3 0W-40, it's now Delvac ESP 0W-40.

The 'Esso' brand is beind replaced by the Mobil brand in Canada - notice you don't see Esso Extra or Ultra conventional oil anymore, you just see mobil Special oils.

I don't see how it's just a re-brand.

Mobil Delvac 222 0W30 is made up of "...from high quality petroleum base stocks"

Delvac 222

While Esso XD-3 0W30 (and 0W40) "...are synthetic since they use polyalphaolefin (PAO) as the base stock"

Esso XD-3

Last edited:
The specs are literally the exact same to a 'T'. That's why it's the exact same product.

I think they are using the basestock terms very generically - I think the statement on the Delvac 222 sheet is a generic one used on all datasheets, and it means any high-performance basestock.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The specs are literally the exact same to a 'T'. That's why it's the exact same product.

Frank did make a good catch. My first thought was that it's obviously the same. Further, how many non-synthetic 0w-30s are out there, particularly in HDEO. Aside from what Frank pointed out, something else just gave me pause.

All the Delvac HDEO synthetics that I've seen are named Delvac 1, as in Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. All the conventional ones don't have the "1" such as Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, Mobil Delvac 1200, and so forth.

Now we have this new naming scheme of Delvac Elite. The sheet does say synthetic, and the specifications match. It wouldn't make any sense for Esso-Mobil/Exxon-Mobil to eliminate the XD-3 to reformulate something from the ground up to meet the same specifications and purpose. I agree it's the same; the naming caught me off guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back