Mobil 1 delvac 1 5w40 tuned 535d

One of my German engineers has a C7 Vette with the 4 pipe bypass system.
Said they hooked on to the wrong pipe during his test and were amazed at how clean it ran.

Originally Posted by HDoilDude
Originally Posted by edyvw

Nah, the US emission testing pales to EU. Not getting caught in the US is a breeze. Many states do not do testing at all, and in some that do, not all counties do it. I still cannot believe that in Sweden they are not checking diesel vehicles physically for DPF/SCR delete when in numerous EU and other European countries not only they check what is coming out of pipe, they also check whether all stuff like EGR, DPF etc. is in place + all that is stored on video in central server.
In Colorado when I got BMW X5 35d, guy from public health checked all my SCR and DPF equipment physically. Later they instituted emission testing where besides pipe testing again, all emission equipment had to be accounted.

Sheesh, that's wild! Sorry to hear that.

Not living in Sweden, I can only guess that it may depend based on where you live. I know in certain EI Countries you can get away with plenty, just like in certain US states.

Out in the sticks it might be more lenient than in Stockholm.

The Swede himself said they don't check, so I'm guessing he's good to go where he lives.

Yeah, that is why I said "I cannot believe it," especially considering Sweden was always tough on that.
As for emission testing in CO, more power to them. I am sick of running coal people, which kind of disappear in the last few years.

Originally Posted by 4WD
One of my German engineers has a C7 Vette with the 4 pipe bypass system.
Said they hooked on to the wrong pipe during his test and were amazed at how clean it ran.

Yep, that will do it.
But, I personally was in vehicle when Police in Germany just popped out similar to DUI check points and checked emissions. They do not joke around that there.

OP, this is a VOA of D1 CI-4+ of 2013 (the formulation has not changed) from oilclub.ru
[Linked Image from oil-club.ru]

Cat DEO-SYN 5w-40 was rebranded Delvac 1 5w-40 in its CG-4,CH-4 and CI-4+ formulations.
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/PEHP7062-04

AFAIK the HT/HS visc. is 3.9cP for the CI-4+ formulation.Was used in ...everything,pretty sure you can find some old UOA's from bikes,sportscars,light and HD diesel too.

Originally Posted by henrika
So, how emission testing works in Sweden without DPF?

no problem, they dont do emission test on newer diesels, just Reading the OBD for fault codes
cool.gif

Thanks again guys.. will change the oil next week. This winter i have been running on Mannol 5-30 Energy premium , 55 USD / 20L .

link: https://mannol.de/imgbank/Image/public/images/bilder_chemie/msds/Energy_Premium_5W-40_tds.pdf

real cheap oil but i dont like the push my car really hard on summer with this in.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Ravenol 5w-40 may be worth a look. POA based.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/product-r...1/ravenol-ndt-nord-duty-truck-sae-5w-40/

Have been looking for that to , maybe try that out next time. Little bit better flashpoint (good for 35D-> with twinturbo setups i guess). and better pour point. Delvac got better TBN. But here i south sweden we got maybe 14 degrees Fahrenheit as lowest so i guess delvac is gonna do its job even at winter.
I have also read about that ravenol varies much in quality even if its the same oil.. So i dont really trust them to be honest.

OK, however, I cannot picture that being legal in Sweden. So what happens if they determine you deleted DPF and SCR?

99% of the cops here dont know anything about cars and often you just empty your DPF then its impossible for them to see also. I have a 3" downpipe w/o DPF so little bit more risky . And as i said they dont check emissions like old days in the exhaust flumes here. WE have no SCR on any E6* / E9 models in sweden / EU. Police cannot check emissions along the road here.

Anyway if u get caught by police u just need to re-inspect your car, then u can remove DPF again. no big fine or so.

Thanks for the VOA Rollins but i dont understand Russian, is there any moly in delvac 1 ?
smile.gif

Have a good day!

Last edited:
So, how emission testing works in Sweden without DPF?

no problem, they dont do emission test on newer diesels, just Reading the OBD for fault codes
cool.gif

Thanks again guys.. will change the oil next week. This winter i have been running on Mannol 5-30 Energy premium , 55 USD / 20L .

link: https://mannol.de/imgbank/Image/public/images/bilder_chemie/msds/Energy_Premium_5W-40_tds.pdf

real cheap oil but i dont like the push my car really hard on summer with this in.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Ravenol 5w-40 may be worth a look. POA based.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/product-r...1/ravenol-ndt-nord-duty-truck-sae-5w-40/

Have been looking for that to , maybe try that out next time. Little bit better flashpoint (good for 35D-> with twinturbo setups i guess). and better pour point. Delvac got better TBN. But here i south sweden we got maybe 14 degrees Fahrenheit as lowest so i guess delvac is gonna do its job even at winter.
I have also read about that ravenol varies much in quality even if its the same oil.. So i dont really trust them to be honest.

OK, however, I cannot picture that being legal in Sweden. So what happens if they determine you deleted DPF and SCR?

99% of the cops here dont know anything about cars and often you just empty your DPF then its impossible for them to see also. I have a 3" downpipe w/o DPF so little bit more risky . And as i said they dont check emissions like old days in the exhaust flumes here. WE have no SCR on any E6* / E9 models in sweden / EU. Police cannot check emissions along the road here.

Anyway if u get caught by police u just need to re-inspect your car, then u can remove DPF again. no big fine or so.

Thanks for the VOA Rollins but i dont understand Russian, is there any moly in delvac 1 ?
smile.gif

Have a good day!

You see, I am from Bosnia and in former Yugoslavia in schools we had to learn both Latin letters and Cyrillic letters. One week we would use Latin, other week Cyrillic.
So, no there is no Moly in it. It is designated as (Mo) just above Phosphorus that is listed at 1332.
As for emissions, I missed it is E61 when I was reading your post. Actually I owned E61 525d with single turbo M57 in Bosnia. Yes, no SCR, but I had DPF. I still would not venture so far as you did, but I also drove a lot through Austria and Germany, and Austrians especially could be meticulous about emissions.

Hello om looking for a good oil for my tuned 535d e61 lci EGR/DPF off. ~400hp / 600lb .

I looking for some heavy duty oil like deivac 1 5w40.

Is Api CI-4 plus ok? Has it lost its cj-4 ?

See specs:

https://www.mobil.com/en-us/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-delvac-1-5w40

What u guys think? Maybe to thick oil? Or shall i just put some LL04 oil in? I drive my car relativly hard.

Cannot get rotella T6 here in Sweden

Personally i would use shell helix ultra ect 5w-30 or Castrol edge 0w-30 c3. Tuning Bmw and MB diesels is common in Finland and they do pretty good with those oils.
Mvh. Björn

Yes, no SCR, but I had DPF. I still would not venture so far as you did, but I also drove a lot through Austria and Germany, and Austrians especially could be meticulous about emissions.

Drove a lot trough EU in "old days"....especially trough Austria and Germany....never saw any "asfinag" emission controll in Austria.....I once was overweight and they fined me....

But in Germany...BAG inspectors can be "SS" meticulous
smile.gif
Guy Just puts his "tywek" on and he is all over your vehicle... Like a spyder...

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Hello om looking for a good oil for my tuned 535d e61 lci EGR/DPF off. ~400hp / 600lb .

See specs:

https://www.mobil.com/en-us/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-delvac-1-5w40

What u guys think? Maybe to thick oil? Or shall i just put some LL04 oil in? I drive my car relativly hard.

Personally i would use shell helix ultra ect 5w-30 or Castrol edge 0w-30 c3. Tuning Bmw and MB diesels is common in Finland and they do pretty good with those oils.
Mvh. Björn

I have been looking at shell helix 5w30 also, i think i try that one out after my delvac oil is used, or maybe try the shell oil in winter. Depends on how many km i put on the car until then
smile.gif

See specs:

Mvh. Björn

I have been looking at shell helix 5w30 also, i think i try that one out after my delvac oil is used, or maybe try the shell oil in winter. Depends on how many km i put on the car until then
smile.gif

Castrol Edge 0W30 would be my choice. That is excellent oil.
Last two days I was looking at Motul line up and their new Gen2 oils have excellent HTHS.
X-Clean+ 5W30: 3.6
X-Clean Gen2 5W40: 3.8
X-Cess Gen2 5W40: 3.9

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Yes, no SCR, but I had DPF. I still would not venture so far as you did, but I also drove a lot through Austria and Germany, and Austrians especially could be meticulous about emissions.

Drove a lot trough EU in "old days"....especially trough Austria and Germany....never saw any "asfinag" emission controll in Austria.....I once was overweight and they fined me....

But in Germany...BAG inspectors can be "SS" meticulous
smile.gif
Guy Just puts his "tywek" on and he is all over your vehicle... Like a spyder...

I would always stumble in Austria on something, especially if I exceed speed just a little bit.

laugh.gif
bosnian language has 👌 saying for people like you....but "your" expressions are to sofisticated to be properly translated into english (a lot is lost due to the translation)....
lol.gif

10.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
laugh.gif
bosnian language has 👌 saying for people like you....but "your" expressions are to sofisticated to be properly translated into english (a lot is lost due to the translation)....
lol.gif

10.gif

LOL true

See specs:

Mvh. Björn

smile.gif

Castrol Edge 0W30 would be my choice. That is excellent oil.
Last two days I was looking at Motul line up and their new Gen2 oils have excellent HTHS.
X-Clean+ 5W30: 3.6
X-Clean Gen2 5W40: 3.8
X-Cess Gen2 5W40: 3.9

castrol edge 0w30 I also think is good, but very low flashpoint.. Think maybe not good with this type of advanced turbo-systems that 35D and above has.. Think i read something about that bmw had problems with boiling oil-lines on these machines.

X-clean 5w40 i have been using 20L of , working good but engine start leak from valve cover gasket.. Just pulled the intake and injectors and change the gasket.. maybe too good at "cleaning" xD .. no but, its a good oil and maybe i use it again in future. I think X-cess with the higher saps / TBN is better for a engine withot dpf/egr ? .

castrol edge 0w30 I also think is good, but very low flashpoint.. Think maybe not good with this type of advanced turbo-systems that 35D and above has.. Think i read something about that bmw had problems with boiling oil-lines on these machines.

X-clean 5w40 i have been using 20L of , working good but engine start leak from valve cover gasket.. Just pulled the intake and injectors and change the gasket.. maybe too good at "cleaning" xD .. no but, its a good oil and maybe i use it again in future. I think X-cess with the higher saps / TBN is better for a engine withot dpf/egr ? .

Mobil uses ASTM D92 method to determine flash point, Castrol uses ASTM D93. Castrol Edge 0W30 C3 is premier product by Castrol, and only one with 10W60 Supercar that is majority PAO. There is no way turbo lines in 35d are going to cook that oil. Take into consideration that oil temperature in M57 with twin turbos is around 90-96c. I have never seen my X5 35d running hotter than 116c, and that is going full throttle uphill above Denver at 8% grade, at around 2.2km altitude while doing DPF regeneration. Once DPF regeneration is over, even going uphill full throttle temperature drops to around 100-105c.
Idk that Motul would be particularly problematic for gaskets. BMW 2018 update of LL 01 and 04 specifically addresses this issue and it is now probably toughest approval to get.

Last edited:

Mobil uses ASTM D92 method to determine flash point, Castrol uses ASTM D93. Castrol Edge 0W30 C3 is premier product by Castrol, and only one with 10W60 Supercar that is majority PAO. There is no way turbo lines in 35d are going to cook that oil. Take into consideration that oil temperature in M57 with twin turbos is around 90-96c. I have never seen my X5 35d running hotter than 116c, and that is going full throttle uphill above Denver at 8% grade, at around 2.2km altitude while doing DPF regeneration. Once DPF regeneration is over, even going uphill full throttle temperature drops to around 100-105c.
Idk that Motul would be particularly problematic for gaskets. BMW 2018 update of LL 01 and 04 specifically addresses this issue and it is now probably toughest approval to get.

Ok understand! I Think the oil getting hotter around the turbos than Whats shown by the temp sensor that is placed after oil cooler? I dont know but anyway I also think its a good oil, what is 200c ATSM93 in ATSM92?

What do u mean BMW changed in the 2018 update of LL approvals? Cuz motul 8100 x clean and xcess seems to lost their approvals and Only adress "Bmw LL01 and LL04 before 2019"

Ok understand! I Think the oil getting hotter around the turbos than Whats shown by the temp sensor that is placed after oil cooler? I dont know but anyway I also think its a good oil, what is 200c ATSM93 in ATSM92?

What do u mean BMW changed in the 2018 update of LL approvals? Cuz motul 8100 x clean and xcess seems to lost their approvals and Only adress "Bmw LL01 and LL04 before 2019"

Motul Gen2 has LL01 (X-Cess) and LL04 (X-Clean). All vehicle manufacturers update their approvals. LL01 from 2018 is far more stringent than LL01 from 2001 when it was introduced. LL04 initially was only covering diesel vehicles. Once Europe moved to ULSG, LL04 could be used in gas engines. However, BMW had to add some tests to LL04 to address specific issues related to gas engines. So, these approvals are evolutionary, not static.
Temperature around turbo is extremely high. However, oil is not static, it circulates and cools off. Also, talking about temperature, do not forget that thicker oil means higher temperature. Also, you are in Sweden, you would be better of with 0W30, not bcs. of start as any 5W will do OK there too, but W30 will run much thinner at 60c, or 70c. In really cold days in Sweden, you might not achieve operating temperature at all during commute. In that environment, W30 would do much better.

Motul Gen2 has LL01 (X-Cess) and LL04 (X-Clean). All vehicle manufacturers update their approvals. LL01 from 2018 is far more stringent than LL01 from 2001 when it was introduced. LL04 initially was only covering diesel vehicles. Once Europe moved to ULSG, LL04 could be used in gas engines. However, BMW had to add some tests to LL04 to address specific issues related to gas engines. So, these approvals are evolutionary, not static.
Temperature around turbo is extremely high. However, oil is not static, it circulates and cools off. Also, talking about temperature, do not forget that thicker oil means higher temperature. Also, you are in Sweden, you would be better of with 0W30, not bcs. of start as any 5W will do OK there too, but W30 will run much thinner at 60c, or 70c. In really cold days in Sweden, you might not achieve operating temperature at all during commute. In that environment, W30 would do much better.

thanks for information! Now in summer month we have around 86.0c F in sweden. 5w40 is kinda common to run here year round, but I usually change my oil to a thinner oil in winter months, and then back to a thicker oil in summer months.

Castrol Edge 0w30 also lost its LL04 approval, the new oil for bmws seems to be castrol edge M 5w30? A HC oil (but for sure very good).

I know that a 5w30 or 0w30 will work with my engine but for maximum performance i think a higher saps oil like delvac is better but thats just my opinion. I Think i will by 20L of helix 5w30 or edge 0w30 also for cold weather use.
smile.gif
But here where i lives its never getting cold enough to justify a 0w oil. They putting 5w oils in everything here. Bmw, audi etc etc

I think the OEM BMW twin power turbo 5w30 also is very good, but cannot find any PDF or specs of this oil.. do u have any?

Last edited:

thanks for information! Now in summer month we have around 86.0c F in sweden. 5w40 is kinda common to run here year round, but I usually change my oil to a thinner oil in winter months, and then back to a thicker oil in summer months.

Castrol Edge 0w30 also lost its LL04 approval, the new oil for bmws seems to be castrol edge M 5w30? A HC oil (but for sure very good).

I know that a 5w30 or 0w30 will work with my engine but for maximum performance i think a higher saps oil like delvac is better but thats just my opinion. I Think i will by 20L of helix 5w30 or edge 0w30 also for cold weather use.
smile.gif
But here where i lives its never getting cold enough to justify a 0w oil. They putting 5w oils in everything here. Bmw, audi etc etc

I think the OEM BMW twin power turbo 5w30 also is very good, but cannot find any PDF or specs of this oil.. do u have any?

So, BMW TPT 5W30 is Shell made. There are differences. I know Noack is very, ver good, running around 6.8%.
80f temperature is nothing. Do not forget, BMW turbo engines are running on 0W20 oils here in the parts of the US where temperature goes to 120f sometimes in summer. Your oil temperature will be constant as thermostat and heat exchangers will regulate that.
Yes, Edge 0W30 lost LL04, why? Not sure. It seems that a lot of 0W oils lost LL01 and LL04. What is so specific about updated tests I do not know, but it seems that 0W oils do not fare well. Since you do not have DPF, you can run SAPS heavy oil. Though Delvac is definiately good option.
Why not going Delvac 5W30?

Back