Mobil 1 debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those specs they are comparing really don't say too much IMO. You need to see what the UOA looks like to make a comparison. TBN will be higher with M1 and the chemistry will be better.

Mobil 1 is in the top 3 among all synthetic oils IMO.

Yea I'd agree here also. You have to look where the rubber meets the road. That would be UOA. Its certainly no better than Amsoil-that's a given. In my vehicle it appears to be inferior to the Shaeffer's Pure Syn. Other than these oils. You would have to convince me through many UOA's that a given oil is better than Mobil 1 10W-30. And sorry but Manufacture's Specs don't make it for me.

I don't get what Mr. Paul's point is about the fact that oil companies don't tout oil analysis proving that their products are superior
rolleyes.gif
I think he's trying to say that UOA is meaningless and proves nothing! I think he's a moron
itschy.gif

Oh, and you have to read though the messages to see my point. It's basically just a bunch of childish nonsense but that Paul guy who used to be a member here untill no one could take his crap anymore; his posts are sometimes ridiculous!

quote:

And sorry but Manufacture's Specs don't make it for me

I totally agree.

Mobil 1 10w-30 is as good as it gets IMO.. That is why I just picked up a 5qt. jug at walmart for $18! Can't beat that.

Ignore Paul, trust me.
wink.gif

[ May 12, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Oh, and you have to read though the messages to see my point. It's basically just a bunch of childish nonsense but that Paul guy who used to be a member here untill no one could take his crap anymore; his posts are sometimes ridiculous!

There is no way I will wast my time reading those posts. I am too spoiled by being on this board. Even though there is a difference in knowledge among us-we have one thing in common (pretty much): We are all trying to learn and also help others with our varying experiences
smile.gif

I buster while I do not agree that mobile one is as good as it gets it is pretty darn good for the price!! For a daily driver that is not punished often and not a sports car it is hard to spend any more when they have such a good product at that price!! I f on the other hand you want extended drains, punish the car often or have a vechile that is hard on oil(Toyota Siena)then I can see the added money for priemium synthetics like Amsoil, Redline and NEO! I have never had a vechile that I have ever owned burn oil with any true synthetic even well past 200,000 miles. I usualy had problems with oil leaks from age.

Mobil 1 is a good oil @ 18.88/5 quarts right now @ Walmart. But for the last 3-4 months they only carried the quarts for about 4.99. I don't think it is a good deal @ that price unless you have proven with UOA's that it works really well in your engine. If you have a sludge monster then Chevron Supreme @ 1.08/quart with 3oz Auto-Rx is probably the way to go. Dont get me wrong, I ran a Ford F150 for 155,000 miles on Mobil 1 & it ran like brand new the day I sold it. Right now I use Amsoil 5w-30 ASL, which is 4.45/quart(preferred customer) plus shipping but it will have to prove itself with UOA's for me to continue to use it. Amsoil has done great in my wife's Maxima & my Mustang that I drag race so that's why I'm giving it a try in my new F150. I had to add more makeup oil when using Mobil as compared to Amsoil when used in the same engines. Over a long period of time, I just felt that using Amsoil may leave less deposits than Mobil 1 & without much price difference. Just some of my personal experiences with both oils, which are both very good oils if your UOA justifies the expense.

IMHO Mobil 1 is a good oil (not GREAT but good), however we all know there are better oils available. Schaeffer Supreme is cheaper and shows better wear numbers for instance.

But Mobil 1's biggest advantage is availability.

I use Mobil 1 exclusively. Down here in Mexico, we have no Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple or other. Castrol and Quaker State also sell their synthetics. My thinking is with such a big car market, why aren't the above special synthetics sold here? There are certainly enough people willing to pay premium.

Lexmexico... your market is probably not big enough. I'm from Canada
canada.gif
and we're (probably) basically in the same boat. Lots of dino oils but the only really available synths are M1, Castrol and, I think, Quaker.
I've never even seen Amsoil, Redline, Purple, Gold Spec or any of the others that the guys on the board here talk about.

I think, for a "luxury" premium product, our countries are just too small a market to get the variety the US guys have.

Untrue.

M1 = $3.78/qt (Wal Mart 5 qt jugs)
Schaeffer Supreme Oil (blend) = $4.50/qt + freight

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
IMHO Mobil 1 is a good oil (not GREAT but good), however we all know there are better oils available. Schaeffer Supreme is cheaper and shows better wear numbers for instance.

You can get Schaeffer Oil for much less than $4.50 per quart.

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
Untrue.

quote:

Not according to their website's online store. Is there a better source for their products. I'd like to try some of their greases.

quote:

You can get Schaeffer Oil for much less than $4.50 per quart.

quote:

Untrue.

quote:

quote:

Not according to their website's online store. Is there a better source for their products. I'd like to try some of their greases.

Look up to your upper left hand corner, and contact our good friend Tim Mills and he'll set you up with whatever Schaeffer products you need, and at very low prices!

IMO:

For the money= Mobil 1 and Schaeffer's
For ultimate performance= Redline (still sketchy though)
For extended drains=Amsoil (suported by UOA)

gixxerboy and lexmexico surprised you can't get Redline, Royal purple etc. Canada/Mexico have far more people than us (19 million) but we have distributors for NEO, Redline, Amsoil, Motul, AGIP, Torco, Royal Purple, ELF, Lucas, Fuchs, Maxima, along with the usual suspects BP, Shell, Mobil, Pennzoil, Texaco in fact everything bar Schaeffers and PC Duron (unfortunately).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back