Mobil 1 - Constant oil leaks on a new truck??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 13k on the clicker now in the 2500hd sierra. 6.0 engine.

Seems that Mobil 1 is having its way with the truck. I'm seriously thinking of switching back to dino if this keeps up.

Rear main has been replaced now twice, the oil pan gasket has been replaced once. The oil pan gasket will need replacing again, as well as the rear main again.

I had these same problems in my last truck running mobil 1. Front cover, oil pan, rear main, front main leaked like crazy until I changed back to dino then the leaks stopped.

I figured with it being a new truck and having M1 since 500 miles it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I should go back to dinoooo.?

Have any suggestions as to why its leaked on 3 trucks from 3 different makers?

I'm using the correct weights, etc.

that is an odd situation. my family has never had a problem with synthetics in new cars (mine, my sisters, dads, moms) i even put syn in my fiances beetle with 70000 miles on it with no leakage. sorry about you situation but it is definetly an oddity.

I have a 2002 GMC with 5.3 thats had MobilOne since it had 500 miles on the clock! I have 44000 on it and have had no oil leak or comsumption problems and I tow a fifth wheel RV with it.

boxcartommie22 >>>"its a chevy"

Try reading, he said it has happened on three different makes. If you can't read, and can't be a help, don't post your spam.

Mighty HD, just use dino, unless you can get the dealer to put aftermarket seals on it, I figure better seals would fix the incompatibility issue you are seeing.

My dads ford did the same thing with a rebuilt crate motor, except with just semi-syn, switched to dino and it stopped. He didn't feel like changing the seals.

I've only once sen any evidence of M1 leaking in a previous leak free engine. After my father-in-law passed away, I changed the oil in his 96 Explorer when it was next due. He was a religious Quicky Lub type but he never went longer than 3k w/ Pennzoil.

Anyway, I changed the oil and the truck didn't get driven any in the following months. But a couple months later, there was a massive puddle of oil on the ground. I know I was careful, tightened everything, didn't spill, etc. Only thing I can think is that perhaps his oil pan gasket or some other major seal couldn't take the PAO. That goes against everything I've always read here about it being a non issue b/c of the balance w/ esters but I can't seee how it knocked any crud loose just sitting there. Just a little insight w/ my ONLY experience w/ a synth "leak."

YOU definitely have an ODD situation though if you've lost 2 rear mains in such short mileage. You may want to see if there's a TSB on the subject.

Schism: "Try reading, he said it has happened on three different makes. If you can't read, and can't be a help, don't post your spam."
sleeping.gif

I think that was just a little humor dude.

It isn't the 'engine' guys it is the seals. Ofcourse it isn't the oils fault, however unless he wants to put on aftermarket seals or if he can get the dealer to use a "sealer" in conjuction with the factory seals, there isn't much that can be done besides use dino. The oems obviously aren't compatible with the synthetic oil for whatever reason.

Mighty HD, Do as you wish, but if you can't get it fixed to accept syn, use a good dino, and know that it will still last a long long time.

Mighty HD, another guy on this board (grbr95) had the same trouble with his Caravan. M1 punched holes in it like it was cheese cloth. After he drained out the M1 thoroughly, and poured some Maxlife in, the leaks quit.

Horror stories I've read on BITOG as the result of using M1:

> Unexplained sudden leaks.

> Increased valve train noise

> Engine pre-detonation (pinging).

> On thin side of labeled viscosity range.

Good stories I've read about M1:

> Cleans very well.

You can draw your own conclusions guys; I'm just mentioning the stuff I've read on this board about M1 oils.
dunno.gif

I think there is a big difference between "the stuff I've read on this board about M1 oils" and what the truth is. I don't believe 5 percent of what I read on internet oil sites. I read them just for laughs.

Chances are that the area of shaft sealing has a problem. There might have been dirt and the shaft area is scored. There might be excessive runeout or alignment problems. The shaft may be bent. There could be an imbalance problem.

I can almost guarantee that there is a problem with the engine in this area. Get the dealer to have a "Zone Representative" evaluate this. You have a problem and its not the oil.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to clean everything off again today and see what happens when I take the 500 mile trip later this week.

I keep the engine clean as a whistle so dirt shouldn't be an isssue--on the top or bottom end.

I wasn't sure if it was the engine or Mobil 1 to be honest with you. I was always under the impression that the additives in Mobil 1 and other things such as it being slick as eel snot makes it easier to get past seals.

As far as the other two trucks I had --a Jeep and a Ford...I replaced the gaskets myself with aftermarket parts and a few thousand miles later it was leaking. I am using the correct weight, correct amount, pressures look good, etc.

In the GMC its not a massive leak but I got under the truck to check everything out and saw the oil between the block and transmission, and on the oil pan getting damp. Between the block and transmission @ the rear main its got a small leak.
To most people this would be nothing but I think for what I paid I shouldn't have anything like this before 100k. Ah well time to test the warranty in a few weeks.

Thanks again

The GMC Sierra 2500HD is a very nice truck. I know exactly what I would do if it were my truck; but concidering the current atmosphere of this thread, I'm saying nothing. The End.

Geez! That is incredible! I am not sure whether the original seals were defective or not, but it appears the work they are doing under warranty is. They have ruined your truck! I would claim LEMON and give it back.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 24600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 103100
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back