Mobil 1 Bentley GT 198 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another mark for Mobil
smile.gif
and it appears that new synthetic blends will be built in the future in an effort to rejuvenate the marketplace for the blends .

Mobil has a nice blend currently but it's rarely spoke of here .

How many Bentley GT owners are going to try to hit 300,000 miles though!
tongue.gif

I'm not saying Mobil 1 isn't good oil, just that they get a lot of factory fill contracts, and it's not necessarily because they are the best oil out there.

I don't know, but you'd think other companies would be wooing Bently for that very lucrative contract and that they simply picked out the best. You have to admit, more and more companies are going with M1 at factory fill so they must be on to something.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I don't know, but you'd think other companies would be wooing Bently for that very lucrative contract and that they simply picked out the best. You have to admit, more and more companies are going with M1 at factory fill so they must be on to something.

Performance of brand synthetics are so similar that the price becomes the main factor, especially now. This is like with tyres: tyre companies sell to OEMs with "nearly zero" margin. They need to decrease the price due to OEM pressure and competitors' environment, but at the same time expect that later end-users will buy the same tyres again. And this really works. Thus, the replacement market allows tyre companies to recover their earnings.

It comes down to performance, price and marketing. Primus makes a lot of good points. Mobil 1 is tough to beat though. They make the additives/PAOs, test many oils in racing and are always developing new technology. Others do this also, but EM takes pride in Mobil 1 as their flagship product. They are the only mass market PAO based oil. This gives them the edge of the grp III players who take shortcuts and don't sell true synthetics to the retail market. Mobil 1 has proven to be among the best oils out their, even beating RL in many cases. When you consider what you get for $4-$5qt, it's an incredible bargain.

[ May 05, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think some of the negitivity is normal human nature to "bash the big guy" and Mobil is it. Everyone wants to see the little guy make the best oils and keep repeating the only reason Mobil is used in these cars is advertising, well guess what, that make **** good oil and I have yet to see consistant proof there is better and I do not mean one Used Oil Analysis that "appears" to be better than the Mobil. Beside, who are the experts? Us? I don't think so, it all a matter of opinion what make a great oil based on oil analysis'. It is all "it would be better if..."

Believe it or not, M1 0w-40 is my second favorite PCEO right behind M1's own 15w-50 (well, 0w-40 would be my first choice in many applications where 15w-50 isn't the ideal viscosity).

I really like the stuff...

I'm pretty sure ExMob paid a pretty penny for that endorsement. For everyone involved, the volumns here are miniscule. How many of these cars are they going to build a year, 500? That the daily output of one of Fords medium sized plants (okay, I'm guessing that). Even if every one who ever buys a Continental GT always uses M1. This is going to make a 0.0001% difference to the bottom line of ExMob lube business.

However, it is a significant marketing benefit. Now everyone who wants a Conti GT, but can't afford one, can have a little bit of it in their crankcase, even if that crankcase is on a '92 Taurus.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
I'm pretty sure ExMob paid a pretty penny for that endorsement. For everyone involved, the volumns here are miniscule. How many of these cars are they going to build a year, 500? That the daily output of one of Fords medium sized plants (okay, I'm guessing that). Even if every one who ever buys a Continental GT always uses M1. This is going to make a 0.0001% difference to the bottom line of ExMob lube business.

However, it is a significant marketing benefit. Now everyone who wants a Conti GT, but can't afford one, can have a little bit of it in their crankcase, even if that crankcase is on a '92 Taurus.
grin.gif

Yep, getting Mobil 1 into the Vette and the Viper here has a big marketing impact I think also. My jugs of 10-30 are visibly labeled that this is the "VIPER" factory fill.

I expect most factory fills to be Exxon/Mobil or Castrol at the high end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back