Mobil 1 ATF vs Pennzoil Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Pennzoil Mercon V in my Tribute. I was thinking about changing out to Mobil 1 Syn ATF, but looking at the specs, the Mobil doesn't look all that much better (for more than double the cost).

The Pennz. Mercon V has a pour point/flash point of -67f/385f vs -41f/392f for the Mobil.

I think when the older-spec Mobil 1 was labeled as a true Mercon V, it was a much better ATF than the current "all makes, all models" flavor today.

I'm leaning with sticking with the Pennz. Mercon V and maybe just change it a bit more often.

Yeah, I had a studder from 1->2nd in the HL about once a week. Went from T-IV to M1 to see if there was a difference. 66 miles into it, all city, and I felt it again.

M1 is probably great stuff, but I don't think there's the big difference everyone thinks there is. So if I were you I'd stick with the Pennzoil if you're happy with it, though I bought M1 for 4 bucks a quart so I did't think it was an issue.

For what it's worth, the "new" M1 is absolutely the worst smelling stuff I've ever dealt with, and that must mean it's good!

Never used Pennz. but I have used M1 ATF since they first invented the stuff and have never lost a tranny or PS pump.
I change tranny fluid every 40,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I think when the older-spec Mobil 1 was labeled as a true Mercon V, it was a much better ATF than the current "all makes, all models" flavor today.

I agree, the latest M1 ATF looks unimpressive on paper, especially considering the price. If you want a truly top notch synthetic ATF look at RedLine. They have avoided the "one size fits all" approach and have some of the best ATF specs anywhere.

Slightly off topic but while at Walmart I noticed that ST Mercon V is labeled as "suitable for Toyota IV and Honda Z-1". This means that ST Dex VI, ST Mercon V and their Import ATF are all listed as good for Toyota IV. Which would you choose for this application? Also, would you use their Mercon V in a Honda that called for Z-1?

If they left out some of the PPD's to make a more robust ATF in a narrower temp range, then its a better fluid.

There has to be some give/take when comparing paper spec's with performance requirements of all of these:

Allison C-4
Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
JASO 1-A
Honda ATF-Z1*
Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi SP-II, SP-III
Idemitsu K17, Nissan Matic-J, Mazda ATF-MV
JWS 3309, Toyota T-IV, Nissan Matic-K
Nissan Matic-D, Subaru ATF, Toyota T-III,
Mazda ATF-III, Volvo 97340
Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
BMW LA2634
Esso LT 71141
ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C

Find an ATF spec that has a pour point requirement and feel free to post that requirement. Can anyone guess which ATFs have a flash point requirement?

Its all about ATF durability.

If I lived in Canada or Alaska, I'd go with RP, RL, or Canadian M1, since they claim better cold flow/pump-abilit/pourpoints.... unless you're under -40c, its not going to make a difference.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If they left out some of the PPD's to make a more robust ATF in a narrower temp range, then its a better fluid.

I'd love to believe that. Is that the actual reason the pour point was so low before?

I'd like to hear some more arguments. Anybody think the Pennzoil is a better fluid for a Ford? I'm going to change mine soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back