Mobil 1 ATF now at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Yesterday I saw (and purchased) Mobil 1 Dexron lll ATF at my local WM for $5.36 a quart. This is a pretty good deal considering its about $7 elsewhere and usually hard to find. Since regular Dexron lll ATF (H spec'd) should be good for 30K minimum do most of you feel you can double the interval with this full synthetic?

super! I hope mine has it too.

It also makes dandy cold-weather power steering fluid in a lot of cars.

It is also rated for Mercon (not Mercon V).
I use Mobil 1 ATF, and still keep the same change interval.
I am very happy with it.

The newest Mobil 1 ATF is now approved for use in Dexron-IIIH applications, and is recommended for use in all Chrysler ATF+3/ATF+4 applications and Mercon-V applications by ExxonMobil. For $5.36/quart, that's an excellent price.

Personally, I don't have a problem with running the Mobil 1 ATF (or any Dexron-IIIH ATF) for 60K under normal driving conditions, provided that you replace the filter and 60-70% of the old fluid. However, if the fluid discolors badly or starts smelling burnt at any point during the drain interval, I'd change it immediately.

-

-

The Mobil 1 Syn ATF does not specificaly state that it is approved for Chrysler ATF+3 or +4. It stated that it is recomended for use in GM, Ford, Chrysler and many imports. Keep in mind that many of these makes and models required at one time, DexronII or III. Many Chrysler 3speed autos required Dex/Merc as well as many other vehicles such as BMW, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and countless other vehicles. Now, every MFG since the late 90's has gone brand specific with their own ATF's

Char Baby,
For this newest "Multi-Vehicle" Mobil 1 ATF, ExxonMobil does recommend its usage in ATF+4 applications. I too originally had the same suspicion as you did...perhaps ExxonMobil meant it was recommended for Chrysler transmissions running Dexron-III.

So, I went e-mailed them, and received the following responses:

quote:

Thank you for your inquiry,

The new formulation of Mobil1 ATF is already in the market at retail stores however, it will be mixed on retail shelves due to the back supply that retailers have in stock. This is the reason why I have stated to make sure the label reflects that the product meets the Ford MerconV requirement. The product that states Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is a synthetic blend that meets the GM DexronIII, DexronIII-H specification, Mercon, MerconV, Chrysler ATF+3 and ATF+4, the new Mobil1 ATF will meet the same exact requirements as well. Mobil1 ATF and Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF are two different products (meets the same requirements but, Mobil1 ATF is a full synthetic and Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is a synthetic blend). Neither one of these products stated above will meet the Honda ATF Z-1 requirement (dealer product). You can perform a normal transmission fluid change, what is left in the torque converter will mix just fine. You can perform a complete transmission flush if you would like which will ensure 100% of the Mobil product being in your transmission. The GM Dexron VI requirement is only used on 2006 models and Mobil will produce and market a product will demand constitutes such an action.

-Matt

quote:

It is not a Chrysler licensed product. The Mobil product is tested by ExxonMobil to meet/exceed the performance requirements of the Chrysler ATF+4 requirements. ExxonMobil stands 100% behind our products if used in appropriate applications. Chrysler ATF+4 is the only licensed product, from the dealer.

I am currently running the previous version
(non H-spec'd) Mobil 1 ATF (at approx. a 75% ratio to the OE fluid since only about 7.5 of the original 10 qts. drained out) in my GM 4T65E. It runs and shifts very smoothtly. I met an older gentleman in WM who told me he put it in his Suzuki A/T and that it shifts like new. I'm hoping that this fluid is good for 50 to 60K because its a pain to change on a GM with no drain plug.

MC5w20: I guess 5.36 sounds expensive but not when you consider its only about double what regular ATF fluid costs. Also I believe that A/T
failure is more common these days than engine failure (in other words I'd rather have the extra protection of a synthetic in my Tranny than in my engine where regular ol' dino does just fine). Also its much more difficult to change out the A/T fluid/filter than the oil and filter so the idea of an extended OCI is appealling.

M1 ATF had the lowest viscosity at -40C that I could find. At -30, with petroleum ATF, my car took 6 seconds for the auto to engage after shifting to D. With the synth, it only takes 3. This would be an excellent product to improve fuel economy in cars that do short trips in very cold weather.

quote:

I guess 5.36 sounds expensive but not when you consider it’s only about double what regular ATF fluid costs. Also I believe that A/T failure is more common these days than engine failure (in other words I'd rather have the extra protection of a synthetic in my tranny than in my engine where regular ol' dino does just fine). Also it’s much more difficult to change out the A/T fluid/filter than the oil and filter so the idea of an extended OCI is appealing.

I just got back from my local Wallyworld. $5.36 is a great price for Mobil 1 ATF, but Supertech Dexron-IIIH/Mercon, which is approved by GM for Dexron-IIIH as service fill, was only $5.36/gallon .
shocked.gif

No offense meant to Mobil 1 ATF users, as Mobil 1 ATF is an excellent product, but I seriously doubt Mobil 1 ATF will last 4x longer than the Supertech Dexron-IIIH/Mercon.

If I remember correctly, synthetic ATF does have better oxidation resistance and heat resistance compared to conventional ATF. But if one is not towing, and operates their vehicle under normal service, I doubt synthetic ATF will bring a drastic increase in the service life of the transmission if drained at the same interval as conventional ATF.

Of course, if I lived in Maine, I would definitely be using Mobil 1 ATF or the correct synthetic ATF purely for the better cold temperature performance. But this certainly isn’t necessary in areas where the temperature is not extremely low in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back