Mobil 1 AP at $25 for 5 qts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw it at WM. Not sure if it might be worth trying in my wife's 2002 Civic. Right now it's on Chevron Supreme 5W-20 and I have enough left for the next oil change. I'd say most miles are freeway, but most trips are fairly short. Even as short as less than 2 miles to a store and back. So I'm targeting 5000 mile OCIs and a filter every other OCI.

However, I was thinking maybe trying the Mobil 1 AP 0W-20 since it seems to be almost closeout prices (if it's not already gone). The plan would then be to just let it go an entire year even though I probably would have gone through at least two OCIs in that time.

The other issue would be what to do with 5 quarts since it takes about 3.4 with a full OCI including filter. I guess it might work to buy two. It really doesn't seem to consume any appreciable oil between changes.

I'm not surprised the price has dropped that far. They priced it way too high when released, but I"m sure it was some sort of marketing experiment. Regular M1 is capable of a 5000 mile (or 10,000 miles) oil chance once yearly.

Most people do not want to go an entire year on oil if they drive the same vehicle every day. It probably was a slow seller and the only way to increase sales is to lower the price. I am not a big fan of going that long on oil.

Good buy with EP back to 28 ... keep thinking they will roll the AP inventory into the EP bottles and give it's (rightful) gold cap back ...

It's not at all Walmarts though, I was just in a Niagara Falls NY Walmart last weekend and AP was still $35. The vanilla M1 wasn't even at the $22.88 price it's often sold for, it was $25 and change there.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Hey y_p_w, was this a clearance price?
I wonder if the current M1 rebate would still apply...

Not sure if it was clearance. I've bought stuff on clearance before at WM, and it usually has a clearance sticker applied to the packaging. I've seen clearance stickers in various colors though - white/red, white/yellow, yellow/orange.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Most people do not want to go an entire year on oil if they drive the same vehicle every day. It probably was a slow seller and the only way to increase sales is to lower the price. I am not a big fan of going that long on oil.

10k/1 yr for "normal" is the recommendation for this car on just API SJ 5W-20, so I figured a year wouldn't be too bad. And this car gets most of its miles on the freeway, so going the conservative 5k miles/6 months is probably overkill.

Not sure how it would handle 0W-20 though. I know it's back spec'ed by Honda and Mobil 1 AP 0W-20 is probably better than what it has now.

0w20 is interchangeable with 5w20 for your civic. You won't notice any difference. 0w20 is preferable if you drive up to Tahoe in the winter too. I use the EP version in an Accord V6 and run 18 mo 12-14K OCI with no issues. AP is probably fine for 2yr/20K in your application, civics are easy on oil (just check the levels frequently). Get the M1 filter (or similar synthetic long life, like Fram Ultra) , get an analysis if you are concerned. There is also a $12/$17( w filter) rebate on through September.

Last edited:
I was at Walmart last week because of the Mobil 1 rebate and they had Mobil 1 on roll back. I use plain Mobil1 5W-30 for our 2.3 EB Explorer but they didn't having left so I got 2 jugs of 5W-30 EP for $25.xx each, $3 more than the plain Mobil 1 5W-30. But with the $12 rebate I still only paying $13.xx/jug. I'll run the 5W-30 EP in the winter when the Explorer shows a bit more fuel dilution due to the wife using the remote start quite frequently
lol.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back