Mobil 1 AP 5w20 (10,155 mi) 2010 3.8 Genesis Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
With 0's for lead across the board, one can infer this engine uses aluminum bearings.

With that in mind, I don't like the Al values at all for ANY of these reports - we 'usually' see single-digit Al, even with 10-15k intervals.

I'd say you are doing some bearing and/or piston damage, and would use a thicker oil to 'cushion' this hard-worked engine more.

...of course, you've made it to 180+k on this plan, so feel free to keep doing what is working! ;P

Considering the universal averages are for around 6,400 miles if I remember correctly, and none of the reports are more than a few ppm above those averages at significantly more miles (except for that sample using the Pennzoil Ultra...not using that again) I'd think it is wearing pretty decently, no? I would think BLackstone would have flagged something by now. Keep in mind the engine sees a WOT pull to the redline every time it is warm, and typically sees many miles cruising around 100mph in the Texas heat on the toll road. Still runs perfectly smooth and doesn't consume any detectable amount of oil. Once it starts to, I'll switch to a higher mileage oil (I see M1 has an EP version with HM).

Originally Posted By: Konstantine
Those wear metals are out of control. The only thing to do is use some gear oil on the next change. I think that will get the wear numbers back in check

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Konstantine
Those wear metals are out of control. The only thing to do is use some gear oil on the next change. I think that will get the wear numbers back in check

So who are you now? What reconstituted member is this?

Your suggestion of gear oil is both inane and potentially dangerous. No one should follow that advice.

And wear metals are not out of control. Another silly piece of advice.

Just a joke, or is that not allowed. I'm not a reconstituted member, just a regular new member. I'll be sure to check in with you before I make the next facetious comment. If I potentially damaged someones vehicle ill be personally responsible for the repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back