Mobil 1 AP 5w-30--what happened? Can't find any.

I am unable to find any M1 AP 5w-30 in the stores. Especially in the 5 Quart bottle. I am able to find it on the internet--but only at high price.

Has it be discontinued? Anyone knows of a retailer that offers it at a reasonable price?

Yes it is being discontinued, I thought I seen something about them bumping Extended Performance to 20,000mi, but can't find a source on that now. But Walmart clearanced out their stock of AP, it can still be found in some store for $17-25 but pretty much it's gone.

Though... Buster spoke with someone in the know from Mobil 1 and they are going to use AP oils in the EP line up.... So it's really not totally going away.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Though... Buster spoke with someone in the know from Mobil 1 and they are going to use AP oils in the EP line up.... So it's really not totally going away.

I have talked to them 2 times and both times was told AP formulation dead / obsolete, with no change to the EP formulation ( except the change on the label to 20,000 miles ).

Hmmmm opposite what he was told...

Ohh well...

Bad idea on their part to try and sell $50 five qt container of oil at Walmart....

I have said for a long time now... Anything over $24.97 was a tough sell in there. And going two times as much was really never going to sell.

AP is being discontinued. EP has been increased to 20k miles. I don't know if the formulation of EP has or will be changing.

Originally Posted by buster
AP is being discontinued. EP has been increased to 20k miles. I don't know if the formulation of EP has or will be changing.

Great News as long as they don't jack the price up on EP.

And yet AP is still listed on Mobils website with the new SP/GF-6A ratings in the PDS's.

Originally Posted by farrarfan1

And yet AP is still listed on Mobils website with the new SP/GF-6A ratings in the PDS's.

The 0w20 doesn't have the new designation. Once the inventory is gone, it's done.

AP was a more robust formulation.

Originally Posted by farrarfan1

The 0w20 doesn't have the new designation. Once the inventory is gone, it's done.

AP was a more robust formulation.

I just looked at the 5W-30 AP since that's what the OP inquired about, wonder why they show it and the 5W-20 as meeting SP/GF-6A but not the 0W-20?

I'm not sure either.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
EP is excellent oil. But I would never ask any of my engines to go 15-20k on an OCI. The longest OCI in my entire driving life has been 8k.

My longest was 250,000 mi. With Delvac 1 and a Bypass Filter. Drained it to get the sediment out if the oil pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Hmmmm opposite what he was told...

Ohh well...

Bad idea on their part to try and sell $50 five qt container of oil at Walmart....

I have said for a long time now... Anything over $24.97 was a tough sell in there. And going two times as much was really never going to sell.

I'm in very expensive New Yorkistan about an hour and a half north of NYC. Normal EP is 28.99 5qt and about every quarter there are sale sod EP for $24.99. That's when I stock up. Is it really $50?? by you? Maybe confusing EP with AP?

Back