Mobil 1 AP 5w-30--what happened? Can't find any.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
It is the casualty of the BITOG paradox; Members will change filters and oil 3 times more often as "cheap insurance" but won't pay extra to insure they don't have to.....

All of which is fine, but double the price for 33% longer OCI? And only if you keep it under a year.

For the record I do use long-drain oils but not for my vehicles. Besides my own I also maintain my daughter's vehicles and it can be a year and many miles before I see them in between OCI. In this case it makes sense, at least to me. And I did look at the AP product for this application, but decided against it on the basis of the price. They don't drive over 15,000 miles in one year so the "extra to insure" didn't mean anything to me. If it was two years, maybe.

I'm using AP in my friend's tundra for several reasons (some similar to yours)

1) I can't control the # of miles driven / year (there have been 18K OCI in the past)
2) I only see the vehicle occasionally, and it is not sure I can really schedule an OC when i do.

tongue in cheek, the oil doesn't stop working after a year; i am running a two year OCI in my B2300 as the previous year, the vehicle saw < 1000 miles. It was not short tripped, it wasn't driven.

Many BITOG'rs tout the EP value, but often it gets drained at 7, or 9K

I'm looking for the most robust formulation because of the inconsistent use and not too frequent maintenance. But yes, not an oil for everyone's situation

The xtra headroom is worth the $$ for me.

Last edited:
I wrote Mobil about this issue and got this response:

"Clarence,

Thank you for writing to us. Mobil 1 Annual Protection has never been a big seller, and retailers prefer to stock items with healthy turnover rates. Those retail sales rates in turn impact production. For the moment we still make Mobil 1 Annual Protection, but it seems destined for retirement in the near future.

As an alternative, Mobil 1 Extended Performance has long been positioned as a 15,000 mile oil. Over the next month or two, you're going to start seeing a new Mobil 1 Extended Performance label upgrading it to a 20,000 mile change interval and warranty. It's been determined that the 15,000 mile maximum for this product was excessively conservative. Based on years of product testing, we can stand behind it for a 20,000 mile interval when the new labels reach store shelves.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil."

Last edited:
Walmart let me put 9 quarts in the basket … but at near full price …

Originally Posted by phoneman91
I wrote Mobil about this issue and got this response:

"Clarence,

Thank you for writing to us. Mobil 1 Annual Protection has never been a big seller, and retailers prefer to stock items with healthy turnover rates. Those retail sales rates in turn impact production. For the moment we still make Mobil 1 Annual Protection, but it seems destined for retirement in the near future.

As an alternative, Mobil 1 Extended Performance has long been positioned as a 15,000 mile oil. Over the next month or two, you're going to start seeing a new Mobil 1 Extended Performance label upgrading it to a 20,000 mile change interval and warranty. It's been determined that the 15,000 mile maximum for this product was excessively conservative. Based on years of product testing, we can stand behind it for a 20,000 mile interval when the new labels reach store shelves.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil."

I was told the same, although both guys from the industrial tech support said it is officially done this year.

So when they blow out AP, grab it. I have 3 jugs of it still left.

I wanted to try the Mobil 1 5W-30 AP in my 2019 Mazda CX 5 with the turbo GDI engine because of its low sulfated ash content. I make a lot of short trips and only put around 5-6 thousand miles a year on the car so I was OK with changing it yearly at 5K miles. But I have not been able to find any at the closeout pricing.

It will be interesting to see how the new EP oil compares in SA content, if comparable that will be my new go to oil.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I wanted to try the Mobil 1 5W-30 AP in my 2019 Mazda CX 5 with the turbo GDI engine because of its low sulfated ash content. I make a lot of short trips and only put around 5-6 thousand miles a year on the car so I was OK with changing it yearly at 5K miles. But I have not been able to find any at the closeout pricing.

It will be interesting to see how the new EP oil compares in SA content, if comparable that will be my new go to oil.

The SA is the same for both oils. They are very similar. You can find AP on Walmart.com.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye

The SA is the same for both oils. They are very similar. You can find AP on Walmart.com.

Yep, free shipping is available with $35 purchase.
I like buying oil online. No need to keep a paper receipt. Just store the info in a computer folder and back-up or sync it, for later retrieval.
Filters too.

^great points. You're right.

Like I said a year back: Nothing brought more attention to EP than AP did … !

Originally Posted by 4WD
^great points. You're right.

Like I said a year back: Nothing brought more attention to EP than AP did … !

4wd you had that very rare occurence where a blind, deaf and non sense of smell squirrel who happened to have found a couple of nuts...
lol.gif

Seriously... You hit that right out the ball park. And what I saw happen in my local Walmart stores verified exactly what you said awhile ago.

Well, kinda like PUP vs PP … why pay more for something hard to find when PP is already up for the same applications …
There's never been any serious attempts to quantify ?

Originally Posted by GMguy84
I have my last 5-10 quarts of M1 AP 5W30 saved for a "Special vehicle".........If I ever get to buy it
frown.gif

Dave

Let me guess..... a Humvee?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I have my last 5-10 quarts of M1 AP 5W30 saved for a "Special vehicle".........If I ever get to buy it
frown.gif

Dave

Close......... a Police package Tahoe
grin2.gif
Im sure AP helps a tid bit with the DOD 5.3 lol

And I have a thing for cop cars and they seem to make people driving a tiny bit safer on the roads
wink.gif

Dave

Last edited:
frown.gif

Dave

grin2.gif

And I have a thing for cop cars and they seem to make people driving a tiny bit safer on the roads
wink.gif

Dave

Try to hunt down a FBI Tahoe in Washington DC. Then reach under the back seat, for any remnants left by one of the Obama girls. Heck, find a real old one and there may be a McDonald's bag wrapper from the Clinton years. He used to scarf-down Big Macs weekly there.

Mobil-1 AP in SN Plus has become a hot item. Start an online auction and triple your investment.

frown.gif

Dave

grin2.gif

wink.gif

Dave

Try to hunt down a FBI Tahoe in Washington DC. Then reach under the back seat, for any remnants left by one of the Obama girls. Heck, find a real old one and there may be a McDonald's bag wrapper from the Clinton years. He used to scarf-down Big Macs weekly there.

Mobil-1 AP in SN Plus has become a hot item. Start an online auction and triple your investment.

crazy.gif
lol.gif

Ya FBI Tahoe's go for BIG $$$ at auctions. I'm looking for ones here in Texas
thumbsup2.gif
And i don't want any Clinton era gov vehicle unless its a 9C1 LT1 caprice
grin2.gif

Checked the brick and pretty much ALL the M1 AP 5W30 is BYE BYE from my local Walmart shelves. And besides I can get EP M1 for $11 a 5qt any day @ O'reilly's with a TSC price match
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Back