Mobil 1 Annual Protection

I recently scored three (3) 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 Annual Protection for $10.00 each at Walmart. I also got a 5-quart jug of Rotella Gas / Truck 0W20 for $7.50. The Rotella jug has a lot date on it...fall of 2018. The Mobil 1 containers have no markings. How can I tell when this oil was made?

Thanks!

Dang, I was smiling like the guy who screwed the neighbor's cat knowing I got a jug of 0w20 AP for 18 bucks. Now I feel like I got ripped off! Lol!

Good score!

I got 6 jugs of Mobil1 5w30 in that 6 for the price of one pricing error on walmart.com a few months ago, the lot codes on all of them start with 10219, I assume that may mean they were bottled the 102nd day of 19.

I have NEVER seen any oil on sale at Wal-Mart !
Is this a South thing?

I wouldn't worry about the date or S whatever.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Is this a South thing?

All clearance Mobil 1 and Rotella oils are yellow tagged.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Is this a South thing?

All clearance Mobil 1 and Rotella oils are yellow tagged.

Major city Walmarts rarely offer these-type sales.
Now go into a small hick-town Walmart and you will find these-type closeout sales.

Happened the same way to the Autozone clearance sales that started around November 2019. By Spring 2020, the only leftover bottles of RGT were all found in Autozone towns with a population of 180.....lol

Anyone finding Mobil-1 AP in their needed 0/5/10w's for $20 or less, is one lucky dawg.

All those tv adverts with Harvick and Bowyer couldn't get it done.
Very difficult to sell what the typical consumer sees as basically the same product for twice the cost.

Dust collectors.
lol.gif

https://www.thedrive.com/article/12395/why-did-mobil-1-fail

Same thing you have posted 10 times … You are so amazing because you use Pennzoil Wow, man, wow

Originally Posted by Donald1953
I recently scored three (3) 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 Annual Protection for $10.00 each at Walmart. I also got a 5-quart jug of Rotella Gas / Truck 0W20 for $7.50. The Rotella jug has a lot date on it...fall of 2018. The Mobil 1 containers have no markings. How can I tell when this oil was made?

Thanks!

The date code is stenciled on the back lower right. The first three numbers/letters are the factory code and the following numbers are the year and month, which is the letter corresponding chronologically (i.e. April=D), IIRC. The jug of 0W-20 AP I bought last month was from 2019 (SN+). The two qts. were from 2017 (SN). The later gen of AP will be SN+...

I called that way, way in advance.... No way typical shoppers are going to pay $48+ or even $39.98 for a 5 qt container of oil.... I believe that the vast majority of people will not want to pay more than $24.99 for a 5 qt container.

Again and again people complaining about price of oil, yet AP can be run 2 times longer than regular oils. Cheapskates are the reason why add packs are becoming weaker and certain adds being removed. Why bother when joe blow only buys oil at 1.99 a qt. You spend 50 k on a vehicle all want the best protection but want to pay dollar store prices. Do this site a favour and call it bob is the budget oil guy.

I think one major problem with the long range oil is that when the oil looks dirty or dark, people don't feel comfortable and want it changed even though some (experts?) say color doesn't matter ...

I think people prefer to change the oil twice and pay more overall than changing it once. I've used M1 EP many times but when it gets dark, it is out and that's before 7-8K miles. I never allow ANY oil to 15K miles.

Until oil companies can figure out a way to keep the color clean, these kind of annual oil won't have a huge market.

Conclusion:
Color matters
shocked2.gif

When an aircraft maker comes out with a plane, they want to take sales from the competition but try not to cut into their own offerings. In this vein, M1 AP had an M1 EP problem sitting right next to it on the shelf … and the EP remains a seller at a small amount more than M1 AFE or others.

Back