Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W20, 9,881miles, Honda HR-V 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
The R18 engine Honda's used for the last 12 years starting with the 8th Civic is a good motor and free of the fuel dilution scourge of the L15s.

You named yet another inconsistency in this oil analysis. One was having a nearly new-oil KV100 while at the same time they say it has heavy fuel dilution. This engine is not a turbo-DI type and doesn't usually get fuel dilution. Another was the crazy high TBN of this 10k oil. .... I'm not trusting the lab results here. Sometimes I guess it happens, as in a technician in a hurry or new to the job.

michael007 (OP): Check to see if your oil level rises. That is a sign fuel dilution, as heavy as they claim this engine has, is happening. Also, it would smell like gasoline when sniffing the dipstick.
To check if oil level rises, carefully check it on level ground first thing in the morning. Then check it again in a month, same way.

To be on the safe side, you could choose to run M1 AFE 0w30 (a tad thicker, not much thicker) to make sure any fuel in there, if any, gets countered by reserve viscosity.

Last edited:
Many of you noticed inconsistencies with the oil analysis.

The lab volunteered to re-test the sample and you all were right, there was an error with the TBN.

Here's the new report:
[Linked Image]

They are missing the Fuel data line they had on the first test. Might not matter, since I think the Viscosity looked good at 8.1 indicating little to no fuel in the oil which would have thinned it out. New M1 AP 0w20 has a viscosity of 8.7, not much different, and indicating a (small) normal amount of permanent shear. Iron and copper are probably in line with normal amounts at nearly 10k miles like this. No concerns here.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
They are missing the Fuel data line they had on the first test.

Maybe the fuel % was wrong too and they didn't want to admit two mistakes were made. I've got a fresh batch of M1 AP in the engine so the next UOA @ 10k should reveal the truth.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Please post back on your findings with the filter and intake tract.

The seals in and around the airbox all look fine. I'm guessing the silicon comes from the leaching of sealant material on new engines that StevieC mentioned

Last edited:
Originally Posted by michael007
I'm guessing the silicon comes from the leaching of sealant material on new engines that StevieC mentioned

At 42,000 miles on the unit that seems unlikely.

The virgin will carry 5ppm +/- of Si, at 40k, a few ppm can't be all that unlikely with OCI of ~10k. 10 or so ppm of Si from everywhere else, well, I wouldn't say it's worth a discussion.

LOL!

ZZman, modern oils are using less metallic additives and ashless dispersants. It's actually quite impressive the Mobil 1 line has SA of .8 (ASTM D874), yet can meet the demanding specs it does.

Maybe should just use M1ep and save some money and stick to 10 to 12K or 0 OLM%. At 30k all should be broken in. Dont think 20k is attainable without a few highway trips and warmer climate.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I see no improvement in those wear metals over what you would have gotten on regular Mobil 1 on Rollback.

There is a huge misconception that an oil that lasts longer and an oil that shows less wear are the same.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is a good example of how a oil could go 20k miles but the engine won't let it.

I would run M1 EP or AFE in your Honda with a 7.5k oci
Why EP or AFE instead of the regular advanced M1?

Originally Posted by CT8
Why EP or AFE instead of the regular advanced M1?

Regular advanced M1 isn't available in 0w20.

In my case, it's best to stay with AP if Walmart keeps bringing back the same promotion. I've scored it twice now - 5 quarts for $39.84 and you get a $10 gift card on the spot.

Otherwise, yeah AFE or EP would be better suited if sticking with M1.

AFE is $26.68
EP is $24 (rollback)

I've got a fresh batch in the engine and a prepaid polaris UOA to be used @ 10k miles. Hopefully we'll see the 4% fuel was a mistake and this run can be longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back