Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W20, 5,400miles, Honda HR-V 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my past UOA showed a 4% fuel dilution @ 9800miles - LINK TO OLD ANALYSIS

This latest UOA shows a 4.8% fuel dilution @ 5400 miles.. Sent the oil to Polaris Labs this time so it's accurate.

Do you guys think the high dilution could be caused by a heavy throttle and occasional idling (5-10mins a few times a week)? Or is there a good chance a component has gone bad?

The car has been driving in very cold temperatures the last 4 months (down to -22F/-30C).

I wanted to see if I could come close to M1's 20,000mile interval but it looks like any extended interval, is NOT for this engine.

Oil Used: Mobil 1 AP 0W20
# of miles on oil: 5,400
# of months oil was used: 4 months
# of miles on the car: 47,845
Air Filter: OEM
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 Extended

Code

Wear Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 8

Chromium (Cr) 0

Lead (Pb) 0

Copper (Cu) 0

Tin (Sn) 0

Aluminium (Al) 5

Nickel (Ni) 0

Silver (Ag) 0

Vanadium (V) 0

Contaminant Metals (ppm)

Silicon 20

Sodium 3

Potassium 0

Multi-Source Metals (ppm)

Molybdenum 48

Antimony 0

Manganese 0

Lithium 0

Boron 44

Additive Metals (ppm)

Magnesium 199

Calcium 1380

Barium 0

Phosphorus 580

Zinc 683

Contaminants

Fuel Dilution 4.8%

Soot
Water

Fluid Properties

Viscosity 100C: 6.9 cSt

Base No. 2.16 mg KOH/g

Oxidation 14 abs/cm

Nitration 12 abs/0.1mm

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The fuel is certainly screwing you. Is this engine DI? If so, that explains the fuel. Also, cold operation doesn't help, so that's certainly a contributing factor.

Silicon looks high, what's your intake tract look like?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Not very impressive for $40 to $50 oil.

This engine is not very impressive allowing this kind of fuel dilution. 4.8%!!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The fuel is certainly screwing you. Is this engine DI? If so, that explains the fuel. Also, cold operation doesn't help, so that's certainly a contributing factor.

Engine is not direct injection. Another contributing factor could be short trips. I'm not so sure the cold operation is the main cause as the 4% dilution from the last UOA was during the warmer months.

I was told to check air intake in the last UOA because the silicon was also high (23ppm). It looked fine to me and my mechanic. I will re-check it and update y'all.

Last edited:
I can't say I am impressed with Honda's fuel dilution numbers as of late, however they don't appear to be affecting wear which is good to know. Time will tell!

Originally Posted by michael007

Engine is not direct injection. Another contributing factor could be short trips. I'm not so sure the cold operation is the main cause as the 4% dilution from the last UOA was during the warmer months.

I was told to check air intake in the last UOA because the silicon was also high (23ppm). It looked fine to me and my mechanic. I will re-check it and update y'all.

Both the fuel and the dirt ingress, if that's indeed the source of the silicon, won't be helping. How long were the trips during the summer months? If you were getting 4% during the summer then yeah, it wasn't going to get better when it got cold. Are you using an OEM air filter?

How long were the trips during the summer months? If you were getting 4% during the summer then yeah, it wasn't going to get better when it got cold. Are you using an OEM air filter?

The majority of the trips are very short but some are long.

OEM air filter is being used. I changed the filter after the UOA that showed 23ppm Silicon to make sure everything is sealed properly.

Maybe check the PCV and vent plumbing too? With the mileage you have on the vehicle, it shouldn't be leaching from seal/gasket material at this point, so it certainly points to foreign entry of unfiltered air. It certainly sounds like your long trips are nowhere near making up for the short ones, ergo i doubt you'll be able to run long intervals on this vehicle, this looks about the limit.

M1 AP is a 20k mile oil but only if all the conditions are right. A GDI engine will not let that oil go for 20k without some serious fuel dilution. Constant short tripping would be another condition that will hinder this oil. The engine must also be in good working order.

If you are on the highway all the time with a non GDI engine then you may have a chance.

Originally Posted by PimTac
M1 AP is a 20k mile oil but only if all the conditions are right. A GDI engine will not let that oil go for 20k without some serious fuel dilution. Constant short tripping would be another condition that will hinder this oil. The engine must also be in good working order.

If you are on the highway all the time with a non GDI engine then you may have a chance.
ei

Agree and that's what we are seeing. Short trips, fuel dilution and cold weather is, IMO, a reason to shorten intervals to 6 months max...on any oil.

Hmm it's still a low mileage engine. Good news is it doesn't look like the engine suffered elevated Wear.
Can't see a good reason to keep using an expensive oil like AP until you can hopefully address the fuel issue??
I guess I would do short 4k ocis or so??

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Hmm it's still a low mileage engine. Good news is it doesn't look like the engine suffered elevated Wear.
Can't see a good reason to keep using an expensive oil like AP until you can hopefully address the fuel issue??

I agree and to reiterate what I posted on your previous thread, I would go with M1 EP or AFE or even plain M1. Or, you can use any major brand of oil that meets specs.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Pinoak

I agree and to reiterate what I posted on your previous thread, I would go with M1 EP or AFE or even plain M1. Or, you can use any major brand of oil that meets specs.

This!

I am assuming that you are in Canada(Ca) and not California(CA)
Looking at the lab sheet, it seems as though you are doing more idling and short trips.
After you have idled for 5-10 min, how far is you daily commute?

My wife lets the car warm up for 10 minutes and then drive 5 miles, 4X/day. This type of driving will show lots of fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Cut your OCI in half. Use regular Mobil-1 for that and raise viscosity by one. Move to a 5W20.

I agree, however I think Triple really means move up to a 5W30.

Yes, that's significant dilution but to play devils advocate for a minute, It hasn't effected wear numbers in the least. The wear numbers are excellent.

My biggest concern would be the Si number which I don't attribute to the dilution.

One thing I agree with the others on, don't waste your money on M1AP and try M1 (or any other brand) next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back