Mobil 1 and wear numbers upon UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that many, if not a majority of UOA reports for Mobil1, show a bit more wear numbers over dinos, especially bearing wear. Is this actual increased wear from Mobil 1 or is the Mobil 1 simply dislodging burned on crud with encapsulated wear from previous oils? How can you tell the difference short of tearing the motor down and measuring? Or am I totally off base with my assumption? This 3,000 mile oil change crap on 3 vehicles is starting to **** me off, and I want exteneded drains with an over the counter oil. Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
It seems that many, if not a majority of UOA reports for Mobil1, show a bit more wear numbers over dinos, especially bearing wear.

Unless you're comparing Mobil 1 and some other oil in the exact same engine, and under controlled conditions, your observation is misleading at best and totally erroneous at worst. There are simply too many variables that go into what causes wear metals to show up in a UOA. The type oil used is just one of them.

[ July 29, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Many times, the conventional oil is run for a shorter time than they synthetic, so you have to look at wear per mile, even when using the same vehicle. Also, driving conditions have to be looked at, winter, summer, city, highway,...

Well you may come up with some. I think in general there is little difference. But n addition to the reasons cited above- Many oil changes with Mobil 1 run over say 6K miles and in terms of contaminates per mile-it may well be that a conventional oil changed at 3K may give better results per mile than a synthetic changed at 6K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
BINGO AL!!!
smile.gif
That's what I had thought all along in reviewing UOA's the past months. I was not really impressed with syn's vs. dino's. Seemed to me dino's, on the average, were better. But, this is a GREAT point. I wonder why nobody else is jumping all over it. Common' all you SYN lovers out there, let's here your rebuttal.........
wink.gif

This no big point in the debate between syn and dino. The only valid comparison would be where the ONLY variable was the oil. Engine, conditions, everything else would have to be the same. But, in general, if you are going to compare the UOAs from syn and dino oils, just divide the wear metal ppm by the miles driven to get a ppm/1000 miles for each. At least then you're approximating a level playing field by keeping the mileage comparison the same.

BINGO AL!!!
smile.gif
That's what I had thought all along in reviewing UOA's the past months. I was not really impressed with syn's vs. dino's. Seemed to me dino's, on the average, were better. But, this is a GREAT point. I wonder why nobody else is jumping all over it. Common' all you SYN lovers out there, let's here your rebuttal.........
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back