Mobil 1 and valves clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Bror Jace:
[QB]Guys, I'm surprised that no one volunteered this info already. The noise you describe is CLASSIC "piston slap."

This is especially true when it is cold. Once the engine begins to warm up, the piston expands and the noise disappears.

No this is not so. This sound continues even when the engine has been warmed up and run for over a hundred miles. It is not that pronounced and the sound comes from the top, light valve clicking sound.
It is a sound peculiar to this engine (3.1).
You have to be outside the car and near the front to hear it, do not hear it inside when driving, the car is nice and quiet inside (and it zips right along with no hassle).

Good Day,
Steven

But if you change the oil with another kind and it goes away - wouldn't one conclude the engine does better on the new oil?

Mobil1 for me = valve clatter. It might be good oil for the engine but it just sounds bad on a cold start (no matter what the temps are).

Not to mention the oil pressure on my car runs around 55-60 when warm at idle on Mobil1, and more like 70-75 when warm at idle on the Valvoline.

The LS1 guys I know who have the piston slap problem say the problem is there even when hot. Sometimes the change to a different oil will help, but in a lot of cases it does not. It's a design flaw. I got lucky when I had my Ls1 Formula, as it didn't make any noises like that, hot or cold.

icruse, if you read "Liquid's[/b] 1st post, he says the noise goes away after 2-3 minutes ... which is exactly what my Honda Civic does. With Mobil 1 Tri-Syn, my car sounded like it had a terminal rod-knock during initial start-up in the wintertime. And I know from talking to others that the Civic's problem is piston slap.

Currently, Honda coats some of the piston skirts with molybdenum to cut down on this problem.

Anyway, piston-slap is not terminal ... merely highly annoying ... and an indicator that wear is taking or has taken place. I used Mobil 1 tri-synth for most of my car's life but it seems to have piston slap REALLY bad.

--- Bror Jace

Another possible cause is carbon buildup on the valves. Try a good fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techtron or BG44K) and see if that helps.

I'm sure that there is so much Fram bashing that no one here is using that filter, but to repeat Tim's question-- are you???

That was my first thought upon reading this Fram+GM= piston slap.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
I'm sure that there is so much Fram bashing that no one here is using that filter, but to repeat Tim's question-- are you???

That was my first thought upon reading this Fram+GM= piston slap.

WRONG!... I'm using a fram at this time.. but it's a ford.(what can I say). Also, I'm using a regular mineral based oil only also.

I also used to use Fram filters on my older Nissan truck with a 2.4l 4cyl...had the valve train startup noise for years and thought it was normal...until I read about the filters.
I changed only the filter one day to an AC filter, did not change oil....and no more noise.
I've never used Fram since then.
If the noise happens and you change filter type and the noise continues, at least you have eliminated the filter being the cause. If you then change oil type or wt and the noise continues then you have eliminated the oil...
Fuel cleaner can help if its carbon buildup.
Using a long screwdriver like a stethoscope can help track noise locations....I also have a Blazer that has a noisy intake manifold (the fuel pressure regulator is inside and is also noisy, makes a ticking noise too.
Good luck
Rando

If lifters are getting old changing viscosity is only a temporary solution. If they tick in winter, a thinner oil should be used. In summer a thicker oil is used to quiet the lifters, since the oil is more susceptible to thinning due to higher temps. My VW ticks a liitle in summer but It can wait for the sport camshafts for the lifters to be swapped. no big deal.

quote:

Originally posted by 2533a:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
My next door neighbor has over 200k on his 3.1L Pontiac Sunbird, and a friend in my car club has about 240k on his 3.1L Grand Prix.

Does the "k" refer to kilometers or miles?

I was speaking in miles, since I know 99% of the people here talk in miles. I was speaking with my next door neighbor yesterday and he says he is only a few months away from hitting 400,000km (250k) on his Sunbird! I know he uses Mobil 1 in it, not sure on the oil change intervals though.

I experienced "valve chatter" with M1 0w30 on my 1.8T engine. The noise would go away after about 10-15 seconds after cold start. After switching to M1 5w30, I no longer hear the noise at startup.

[ November 06, 2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

I'm surprised that nobody has not mentioned fuel injectors as a possible source of this noise. I know that on my two vehicles, '87 Mustang GT and '97 CR-V, these items are as loud as heck. These are the sources of my 'ticking' sounds from both engine compartments, warm or cold.

quote:

This sound continues even when the engine has been warmed up and run for over a hundred miles.

THAT would worry me!

quote:

mentioned fuel injectors as a possible source of this noise

I agree.

Another possible source of startup noise in my Ford 4.6L V8 is the timing chain slapping around if you have a defective tensioner.

As for Mobil1 SS, all their xW30 are the thinnest 30wt oils out there! Just a hair over 20wt! I'm thinking of using M1 0W40 next time. Currently using Equilon Havoline Synth. 5W30.

I alwasy felt that MOBIL1 was a bit low on detergent and my own admittedly unscientifc experiments have borne this out.

This may be related to extra deposits and extra noise?

MOBIL1 has in my ciorcle of offline and online friends often been a culprit in mystery noises as evidenced by these noises going away (sometimes even on the first oil change), when switching to another oil such as my (formerly favorite) ValvolineSynPower.

Fred...
smile.gif

Is the metallic tapping sound due to worn valves/valve seals/guides or simply deposits from other oils used in the past? Will it go away with time and/or many cold starts?

My wife has a '99 Malibu equipped with the 3.1 liter V-6. She got it brand new with less than 100 miles. Her's has that very annoying "valve clatter" too. I've used Mobil 1 10W-30 and 5W-30, as well as Amsoil 0W-30 AND various oil filters, such as Mobil 1, Hastings, Amsoil and AC Delco Gold. Still , cold, and warm, "valve clatter" for 45 to 60 seconds after start up. It could be piston slap, but it sure sounds as though it's coming from the valve train. Although I've considered the possibility, I don't think it's the fuel injectors. I've finally learned to live with it, but I certainly don't like it!

quote:

Originally posted by M Smith:
My wife has a '99 Malibu equipped with the 3.1 liter V-6. She got it brand new with less than 100 miles. Her's has that very annoying "valve clatter" too. I've used Mobil 1 10W-30 and 5W-30, as well as Amsoil 0W-30 AND various oil filters, such as Mobil 1, Hastings, Amsoil and AC Delco Gold. Still , cold, and warm, "valve clatter" for 45 to 60 seconds after start up. It could be piston slap, but it sure sounds as though it's coming from the valve train. Although I've considered the possibility, I don't think it's the fuel injectors. I've finally learned to live with it, but I certainly don't like it!

I had a 94 Grand Am GT with the same engine and the exact same problem. It sounded like a diesel on a cold start! Every GA rental car I have driven with that engine has the same sound too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back