Mobil 1 and "thin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread about Mobil 1 going on right now, someone made the comment about 0w-40, "That stuff thins out to [sic] much." He goes on to recommend Delvac or something else, I don't recall.

I thought that the principal criticism of this brand of oil was that its viscosity is on the "thin" side of the range allowable for the various weights, not that the oil has a tendency to "thin" out. Don't we have pretty good trended analyses that Mobil 1 stays in grade?

Your right, Mobil's oils, mainly the 30wts. are on the thin side of the 30wt scale. Mobil's 0w-40, being such a large gap, tends to thin a bit then will thicken as the other guys have said. 0w-40 is a great oil, just depends on what car it's in etc. I think it's the volatility of the VI's they use but then again, the NOAK is good so I really don't know. They more knowledgable guys could answer this...sorry.
dunno.gif

Then again, if Apple made it, it would only work in 2% of vehicles and would cost 10 bucks per quart.

Back to Oil Talk,

"check guages" light --- Thin Oil
confused.gif

I switched a company truck (It's an 2003 3.9 v6 Dakota) to Mobil 1 10w-30 and a Napa Gold filter and now when I start up first thing in the morning, I get the "check guages" light for about a half second because the oil pressure is still bottomed out. Then it starts moving. Other starts during the day are fine, it's just when it sits overnight.

Before when I'd start, the guage would jump to the first line right away and then start to move up after about a second or so.

I changed the filter back to Delco which is what I had been using before. It still reacts the same way in the morning which leads me to think it may be the oil. Can't see how but it was fine before.

Anybody ever have this happen to them when switching to Mobil 1.

NO, but it doesn't mean oil isn't there at the bearing, it has moved, just hasn't built up enough pressure to tun off the idiot light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back