Mobil 1 and Oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you using Mobil 1 noticed an increase in oil consumption over other brands? Also, for the LS1 study, do you think it's more due to the lighter viscosity of the oil, or it's volatility?

When I switched to both Mobil and Amsoil many years ago I noticed a decrease in sumption-probably because of the decrease in volatility. More recently-the consumption of 10W-30 Mobil 1 is a little less than the Schaeffers 5W-30 Pure Syn. That's probably due to the 5W vs 10W .

The consumption is about a quart per 4K miles with the Schaeffers vs 5 or 6 K with the Mobil 1.

It seems M1 5w-30 was quite volatile in the 3MP study. I'm not too impressed with 5qts of makeup being used. That is way too much IMO. I think Mobil's VI's are more volatile then some other brands, such as Amsoil who probably uses Lubrizol's. M1 0w-30 is another one that comes to mind with consumption issues. It does depend on the car however, bc I know people that have Vettes and run 5w-30 and use very little. There is also a guy at work who ran M1 0w-30 in a new Accord and had zero consuption for 7,500 miles.

[ June 21, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It seems M1 5w-30 was quite volatile in the 3MP study.

I think it has far more to do with 3MP's LS1 being a typical "oil burner," which LS1s are known for.

As I stated in another thread, I have a Olds minivan with over 140,000 miles on it and it has never used a drop of Mobil 1 5w30 between 7500 mile oil changes.

quote:

think it has far more to do with 3MP's LS1 being a typical "oil burner," which LS1s are known for

True, plus, it really only used 3.5 qts over 12k miles if you factor in the filter change. Or maybe more like 4 qts.??

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
As I stated in another thread, I have a Olds minivan with over 140,000 miles on it and it has never used a drop of Mobil 1 5w30 between 7500 mile oil changes.

A "drop of oil"! That's far fetched. If you want to really know, measure the oil after you drained it. I always have less coming out than I put in accounting for the oil filter too. Also smell your oil. If it has very strong gas oders, there is measureable amounts of unburnt gas in there. Also if it comes out thinner on a cold drain you know it has mixed with gas.

Leo

quote:

A "drop of oil"! That's far fetched

Um, figure of speach....
rolleyes.gif

quote:

quote:

Um, figure of speach....
rolleyes.gif

Probably only looking at the dipstick which is very inaccurate. Hi also can have a stuck PCV valve, not allowing the crankcase vapors out. I find it highly improbable not to burn at least a qt in 7500 miles.

Leo

If the PCV was stuck there would be more oil usage, right? The pressure in the crankcase would force oil past the rings and burned.

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:

quote:

quote:

Um, figure of speach....
rolleyes.gif

Probably only looking at the dipstick which is very inaccurate. Hi also can have a stuck PCV valve, not allowing the crankcase vapors out. I find it highly improbable not to burn at least a qt in 7500 miles.

Leo

lol.gif

quote:

quote:

Um, figure of speach....
rolleyes.gif

Yes, it was just a figure of speach. Like most "normal" people, I judge whether or not my engine needs oil based on the dipstick. The oil level on my dipstick never moves off the "full" mark.

As for the comment about "measuring" how much comes out vs how much went in, OF COURSE it will be less. Some old oil always remains in the engine, plus the filter holds quite a bit.
rolleyes.gif

As for the comment about the stuck PCV valve...well, I've already commented on that.
lol.gif

Dipstick measurement is not accurate!
This is how I measure how much oil my car lost. When I drain my engine, I fill up the empty oil bottles with my drained oil. Please try it and then comment how much your car lost really lost.

Leo

Dipstick measurement may not be "accurate", but It's got to be consistent. I mean if it's at a given level when you check it, and at that same level later on, then the volume is the same. I see your point about the unburned gas, water etc.

BTW, I ran Amsoil 5W-30 for 10K miles in 6 months in a Chevy with the 3.4L. Tons of nice long highway runs to keep the oil clean. Burned MUCH less than a quart (don't know exactly since I hadn't discovered this board yet so I wasn't that careful about it
wink.gif
)

I measure by the dipstick, like the rest of the world. There will always be some oil left behind. Don't know how much, don't care.

I've been using M1 (first the TriSyn, now SuperSyn formulation) since the first oil change on my car (after the factory oil was drained). At 5K mile change intervals, I have not noticed any oil consumption.

1/4 quart was always sufficient to keep the oil topped off between 10k miles oil change intervals, regardless of the oil I used (OEM break-in mystery oil, first dealer service: 20W-50 dino, after that Castrol 5W-50 until about 80k miles, since then M1 0W-40).

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
Dipstick measurement is not accurate!
This is how I measure how much oil my car lost. When I drain my engine, I fill up the empty oil bottles with my drained oil.
Leo

lol.gif
This just keeps getting better and better!

Hmm, I figured the dipstick method would be the most accurate method of calculating oil consumption. Keeping track of how much oil needs to be added to keep the level the same (max mark) between oil changes should yield a very accurate figure.

Hi,

well this is an interesting area !!

Yes, my MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 used more M1 10w-30 than both M1 0w-40 and now Delvac 1 5w-40. It never sounded right on the 10w-30 oil - rattled when started cold and was "noisy" when hot. It uses no oil now at 75000 kms on Delvac 1. Using the dipstick of course!

The "real world" sump level surely is via the dipstick, cold, on level ground
Please, please confirm this or I have lost 55 years of my life

As for engine size and oil consumption - well that really opens a door!
I will not go thru that door except to say that my 12.7 ltr truck motors use oil at about the same rate as some of my 2.5 ltr cars!
Without wear factors factored in, oil consumption is primarily a design issue - combustion chamber design, piston, ring/ring land design and position, valve and ignition factors, emmission requirements, metallurgy, etc. - sorry I went thru the door a bit!

I sure as **** won't be getting the old engine oil in my trucks - Delvac 1 - after 62000 miles -put into containers to measure oil consumption more accurately. I will just go off my computer records of input against distance - using their dipsticks! Currently averaging about 4000m/ltr after 500 000 miles

Regards

I always thought that oil should be checked cold and on level ground.. Well with my present car the level ground is very important, I can get an erronous reading by being on a slight incline.. BUT for some reason I get more accurate reading after my car has warmed up. Ie, I'll check it in the morning and it will show low by .5-1 quart. If I drive for 1 hr, the let the car sit for 10mins and then check the oil, it shows full to .5 quart low.
dunno.gif

Btw, with the TriSyn 10w30 my car was using almost 4 quarts in 6,000miles. Now with my first 0w40 SuperSyn interval so far I burned 2quarts in 6,000 miles and most of it was in the first 2K.. it looks to have stabilized..
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back