Mobil 1 and NASCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know Mobil 1 is now the official lubricant of assc... er I mean Nascar?
grin.gif

I saw it on a commercial.

Now I wonder, do all nascars run it? I doubt it but I'm curious
smile.gif

In some of the literature that I received from Amsoil a while back, they said that most (I think it was supposed to be 75% but I can't remember) Nascar teams used Amsoil.Of course, that was a while back and who knows?

quote:

I think it was supposed to be 75% but I can't remember) Nascar teams used Amsoil.

I don't think so. I've read the same thing though. Not that it isn't capable, I don't think Amsoil has the $$ or marketing to beat out Mobil 1 for Nascar. I thought many oils were involved in Nascar?

Prestone anti-freeze is also the official anti-freeze of NASCAR.

That's all fine and dandy but the problem is that ethylene glycol is outlawed on the track because in case of a spill (oh and there will be lots of spills w/ a radiator puncture) the EG makes the track ultra slippery.

One person I know in NASCAR says some teams run 50/50 of water and Redline Water Wetter. No word on whether this is true or not but water is indeed the coolant, NOT the green/orange/yellow stuff.

Just because its official doesn't make it mandatory to use!!

I.e. Budweiser is the sponsor for Little E, it doesn't mean they all drink Bud during the race!

Also if they're sponsored by Pepsi, Coke, etc... they have to use their sponsor's cups but they can fill it with whatever beverage they want. Like drink Coke in a Pepsi cup - that's really being a rebel! Britney spears should have done that.

[ July 03, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

if i remember correctly, the only thing that beats water as a coolant is liquid mercury.

but i dont think it works properly with imprllers and such.

@ mobil1, i believe most if not all the nascar teams run proprietary custom blended oils.

When you get to that level in auto racing, there is no telling what they do. I have heard all kinds of stuff-special oil formulations for just one race, secret additives, Redline, Schaeffer's. Mobil 1, Torco, Amsoil, and special racing motor oils from Europe.

However, another question. Where does all this stuff come from to the effect that 75% of Nascar is using this synthetic oil, or that synthetic oil? If it is untrue, where did it come from?

We've discussed this before here so you might want to try a search.

I won't repeat myself but I have it on pretty danged good authority that teams that are sponsored by oil companies use their oil. Exactly what oil is used by those teams is a secret. I know for a fact that teams sponsored by Quaker State and Valvoline get a good deal of technical/engineering support from those oil mfr's.

Teams use products that are supplied by their sponsors. I guarantee you that if Dale Jr or someone on the #8 team wants a beer, he's gonna have a Bud. Why wouldn't he? Its free and there's tons of it!! Same with the other beer companies. And the soda companies. And the sports drink companies. And so on and so on.....

quote:

Teams use products that are supplied by their sponsors. I guarantee you that if Dale Jr or someone on the #8 team wants a beer, he's gonna have a Bud. Why wouldn't he? Its free and there's tons of it!! Same with the other beer companies. And the soda companies. And the sports drink companies. And so on and so on.....

I agree - I never said anything otherwise, HOWEVER that does not mean they always drink their sponsor's products all the time. Dale Jr can drink Pepsi, Coke, Gatorade, or have a cocktail - how? Just pour it into the sponsor's cup.

Notice almost ALL racers immediately chug gatorade at the winner's circle and not some soda product? BUT they make sure to place their sponsor's products in a way to get enough public attention/photoes.

Pepsi sponsored race car drivers and teams can very well choose to drink water, Coke, or Walmart's own soda if they would like - they just have to cover it up.

Same with their motor oils - they'll use whatever they need to win the race. No one watching the race will be the wiser. How are you going to see if your favorite racer changed to Amsoil or Mobil 1 on race day? So long as the teams are winning the sponsor could care less so long as they do not violate their contract. I.e. Drinking a can of Coke and getting your photo taken when you're CLEARLY being sponsored by Pepsi. That's a no no!
nono.gif

The Official product of NASCAR is just a advertising promotion. It does not mean they are use it. Mobil paid a huge some of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to be able to say this. Just about any product you can think of can be the Official whatever of NASCAR, even toilet paper. These companies provide complimentary products but no one is required to use them.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

quote:

I agree - I never said anything otherwise, HOWEVER that does not mean they always drink their sponsor's products all the time. Dale Jr can drink Pepsi, Coke, Gatorade, or have a cocktail - how? Just pour it into the sponsor's cup.

Notice almost ALL racers immediately chug gatorade at the winner's circle and not some soda product? BUT they make sure to place their sponsor's products in a way to get enough public attention/photoes.

Pepsi sponsored race car drivers and teams can very well choose to drink water, Coke, or Walmart's own soda if they would like - they just have to cover it up.

Same with their motor oils - they'll use whatever they need to win the race. No one watching the race will be the wiser. How are you going to see if your favorite racer changed to Amsoil or Mobil 1 on race day? So long as the teams are winning the sponsor could care less so long as they do not violate their contract. I.e. Drinking a can of Coke and getting your photo taken when you're CLEARLY being sponsored by Pepsi. That's a no no!
nono.gif

Corporate politics play a big part in this issue. I don't want to continue to belabor a topic in which none of us (I assume) are privvy to. I'd love to see a copy of the promotional contract a sports drink company has with a specific driver, just to know what the details really are.

But I think I'm safe in stating that if a Pepsi Cola sr. exec discovered Jeff Gordon was really drinking Coke poured into a Pepsi bottle, there'd be an interesting phone call come Monday AM. The incentive to dump out one product and pour in another is virtually zero. Especially since there are Pepsi reps all over the place handing drivers cold drinks the moment they step out of a race car.

And speaking of Gatorade, next time Matt Kenseth wins a race and pulls into victory lane, watch him carefully. You might see something interesting. And keep in mind Gatorade sponsors most Victory Lane celebrations.

Firms like Shell & Bridgestone send a team of experts to each Formula 1 team to provide help and assistance at ever race, test session etc.

At lower levels of racing, I can see the promotional stuff not necessarily being the same stuff used during the race. At the highest levels, partnerships are created from the development stages through to the end product ie engines. The characteristic of a type of oil will be used in the design and development of the engine package. This is not a case of pouring in a brand of oil and hoping for the best.

You also have to look at Nascar's sponsorship power this way: Nascar is basically sucking the pool of auto racing sponsor money dry. Everybody wants a piece of the pie in Nascar. Teams aren't out looking for sponsors; the sponsors come to them and the Teams charge a small fortune for publicity. So when they say that X product is the "offical" product of Nascar; that doesn't mean crap as to what the teams actually use in their cars. They don't have to because the sponsors are getting their money's worth no matter what when the great majority of people in the US (and **** that's sad
rolleyes.gif
) are watching a Winston Cup race. 2 laps is enough to bore me to death
lol.gif

Because of Nascars ability to suck out sponsor money and because of the way they promote US patriaticim etc., many other more worthy racing organizations are practically going banckrupt (CART and IRL).

[ July 05, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Wonder if this means that Mobil will encourage or endorse the use of Zmax products with their oils?
(Zmax being a subsidiary of Nascar)

That's incorrect. Z-Max is a brand mfr'd by Oil Chem Research Corp. which is a subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports Inc. (SMI). SMI's chairman and CEO is O. Bruton Smith and SMI owns Lowe's Motor Speedway, Bristol, Texas, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Sears Point (aka Infineon Raceway) and, if IIRC, has ownership interests in New Hampshire Int'l Speedway in Loudon, NH.

NASCAR is a separate entity from the above mentioned companies and they have no connection to Z-Max.

The incentive to drinking a non-sponsor drink is personal preference.

I don't have a personal soda preference but I will not drink alcohol - it numbs the senses. So if I were in Dale Jr's position, would I be force fed Budweiser during the race? Would I HAVE to drink it after hours? What if it was against my religion or personal beliefs? Yes I understand there's a LOT of $$ at stake - but would the corp exec be REALLY pissed at me if I drank water/soda in a Budweiser cup/container/can in public where ppl are taking photos of me drinking what appears to be Bud? What the public doesn't know won't hurt the corporation that's sponsoring me. Right?

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
You also have to look at Nascar's sponsorship power this way: Nascar is basically sucking the pool of auto racing sponsor money dry. Everybody wants a piece of the pie in Nascar. Teams aren't out looking for sponsors; the sponsors come to them and the Teams charge a small fortune for publicity. So when they say that X product is the "offical" product of Nascar; that doesn't mean crap as to what the teams actually use in their cars. They don't have to because the sponsors are getting their money's worth no matter what when the great majority of people in the US (and **** that's sad
rolleyes.gif
) are watching a Winston Cup race. 2 laps is enough to bore me to death
lol.gif

Because of Nascars ability to suck out sponsor money and because of the way they promote US patriaticim etc., many other more worthy racing organizations are practically going banckrupt (CART and IRL).

As someone who was directly involved with NASCAR as a primary sponsor of a race team, I would say this statement is more inaccurate than accurate.

Since I directly negotiated sports marketing contracts and agreements with a NASCAR team I can tell you that I want to spend my company's marketing dollars where I get the most bang for my buck. A great deal of racing sponsorship decisions are focused on who the target market is for your product or service. If NASCAR is delivering the target audience, that's where my money goes.

I disagree that NASCAR is "sucking the pool of auto racing sponsor money dry". NASCAR is delivering (not promising... DELIVERING!!) a world class promotional opportunity that is much more desireable than what CART or the IRL is delivering. That does not mean CART and IRL are not providing a great product, its simply that for many corporations NASCAR's product is much more compelling and a better choice for many.

I've also sponsored cars and teams in the USRRC Grand Am Series and ARCA. Both did a poor job of the simplest of sponsor promotions and I was unhappy with both organization's efforts. By comparison, NASCAR does a fantastic job of recognizing and assisting sponsors involved in its many series'.

NASCAR is not the devil you're making them out to be. You may not like the racing or the organization or their rules, but the product they put out there is simply the best IMO and the best choice for many companies looking for a sports marketing promotional vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
The incentive to drinking a non-sponsor drink is personal preference.

I don't have a personal soda preference but I will not drink alcohol - it numbs the senses. So if I were in Dale Jr's position, would I be force fed Budweiser during the race? Would I HAVE to drink it after hours? What if it was against my religion or personal beliefs? Yes I understand there's a LOT of $$ at stake - but would the corp exec be REALLY pissed at me if I drank water/soda in a Budweiser cup/container/can in public where ppl are taking photos of me drinking what appears to be Bud? What the public doesn't know won't hurt the corporation that's sponsoring me. Right?

Anheuser Busch and its Budweiser brand is negotiating to reup its sponsorship commitment to Dale Jr and DEI possibly to the tune of $60 million over 3 years. If true it would make it the largest racing sponsorship package in NASCAR history.

I would venture a guess that if my driver, the cornerstone of my corporation's sports marketing efforts, had a religious or moral objection to my product, I would find another driver and team to give my $60 million to.

[ July 05, 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: bretfraz ]

quote:

I would venture a guess that if my driver, the cornerstone of my corporation's sports marketing efforts, had a religious or moral objection to my product, I would find another driver and team to give my $60 million to.

Well almost anyone in NASCAR would probably drink beer so its a safe investment for Bud.

But my point was that so long as the public doesn't know, I don't see any harm in the race car driver using another company's product in the guise of the sponsor's product.

How is anyone going to know they're using say Amsoil engine oil instead of Pennzoil? Or they drink Coke in a Pepsi cup?

Just my 2 cents worth and that's what I heard from someone who worked at NASCAR.

Don't forget liquid Helium. If you want cold, it's the ticket. It's kind of hard to keep in your engine, not that I've tried it.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
if i remember correctly, the only thing that beats water as a coolant is liquid mercury.

Actually its liquid sodium
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back