Mobil 1 and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I never claimed to be a scientist or anything, but here is what I have noticed. I have in the past, taken synthetic oils like Amsoil, and Mobil 1 and taken them to a metal pan with high heat. The always withstand the heat well, barley beginning to bubble, and No smoke.

However, I just took the Mobil 1 0w40 and did the same thing, and it bubbled pretty fast and started to smoke. I don't know if it is because it was on a gas stove this time and the others were electric, but I always heated the burners up before hand. I don't know if this means anything, but I just wonder if the Mobil 1 10w30 and 15w50 and the Amsoil 10w30 and 10w40 are better suited to deal with heat. I hope I am wrong, as I have Mobil 1 0w40 in my truck now.

ANY oil will smoke if you get it hot enough. The burner on a gas stove turned on hi could easily get Mobil 1 up to its flash point.

Not sure how the pan test relates, all I can tell you is I recently changed three cars from Mobil-1 to Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) and the oil consumption has dropped, especially in my Suburban.

OMG,,, I tried the exact test except I used some Castrol mineral oil. I was slowly heating it up to try to repeat the Mobil-1 commercial and suddenly it burst into flames. It warped my wife's skillet instantly so it was creating some serious heat.

I had a very difficult time explaining to my wife why there were little black soot balls hanging from the ceiling and why her favorite skillet is now used for a oil drip pan in the garage. She doesn't appreciate the smell of burning motor oil as much as I do either.

She won't let me in the kitchen anymore to experiment.
grin.gif

The frying pan test alone tells you nothing unless you measure the exact temperature of onset
of smoke and ignition temperature. If you had that data, you could compare that to published specs.

Stick to Olive oil next time!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back