Mobil 1 AFE Users - Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. Can I extend OCI on this oil? If yes, what is safe? 10k?

2009 Hyundai Genesis V8 - 24k miles
Factory OCI recommendation - 7500mile or 1yr 5W-20 Dino.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If under warranty, stick to 7.5k.

IF not under warranty, 10k should be fine.

+1....I'm using this in my 2011 Mazda3. Follow owners manual until warranty is up.

How does the car being under warranty or not affect the performance of motor oil? I don't see the correlation.

Originally Posted By: TJPark01
How does the car being under warranty or not affect the performance of motor oil? I don't see the correlation.

If there were ever a problem, the manufacturer can pretty easily say "well you didn't follow the oil change requirements".

There's no doubt the oil can go longer than 3750.

I am using M1 0-20 in both Fords and doing 10K OCIs with ease according to the "One Drop Test". Here is the link. As I said tomorrow I will be leaving for Florida for a couple of weeks and the presant oil has 5400 miles on this run.

http://www.acustrip.com/specs/onedrop.html

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the performance of oil, its about not voiding your warranty. Why not run it to 7500 miles then get an oil analysis done and make an educated decision from there.

Originally Posted By: dparm
If there were ever a problem, the manufacturer can pretty easily say "well you didn't follow the oil change requirements".

There is no OCI light or reminder on this car. There is no way for the manufacturer to know when you changed the oil.

Original question:
Can M1 AFE OCI's be extended?

Originally Posted By: dparm

There is no OCI light or reminder on this car. There is no way for the manufacturer to know when you changed the oil.

Original question:
Can M1 AFE OCI's be extended?

As I already said,"yes". See my post above. For most engines 10K with any M1 oil is fine. I've been doing it for 33 years.

I just switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. Can I extend OCI on this oil? If yes, what is safe? 10k?

The ability to extend your OCI will depend heavily on your driving habits. Given the right conditions, 10K should be a snap.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

The ability to extend your OCI will depend heavily on your driving habits. Given the right conditions, 10K should be a snap.

That's a very good point. I drive 50/50 city highway. I don't think it's a severe service interval. I do see heavy traffic, but no freezing temps here in Los Angeles

If your car is under warranty and you are changing you own oil, you'd best keep accurate, documented records along with receipts showing you've purchased the oil and filters to accomplish the changes you've documented. If you don't keep good records, the manufacturer can easily state that the damage they observed occurred due to inadequate oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

If your car is under warranty and you are changing you own oil, you'd best keep accurate, documented records along with receipts showing you've purchased the oil and filters to accomplish the changes you've documented. If you don't keep good records, the manufacturer can easily state that the damage they observed occurred due to inadequate oil changes.

I use OEM filters, so I have the dated receipts for those. But there wouldn't be any way to document the mileage other than good faith. I know the service manager at the Hyundai dealership on a personal level so I'm not worried about any warranty claims. Not to mention this car has been mechanically flawless in 2.5 years.

I always follow OEM OCI recommendations, in or out of warranty.

Oil changes are cheap whilst engines aren't.

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question. Just because someone's been "doing 10K with M1 since the beginning of time", it doesn't really mean much to you; different driving habits, different oil (M1 formulations have hardly remained the same for 30 years) and a different vehicle.

For me, the big variable is your car's motor. I had no problem going to 10K with a GIII synthetic, but I've seen a TON of UOA's on my particular engine (and the whole Duratec V6 family of engines) to support that decision. I don't know much about the Tau V8 though, and I doubt anyone else on here does, either. I haven't seen a single UOA on it.

Personally, in absence of any other information, I'd keep it to the mfg recommendation of 7.5K, and do a couple of UOA's to see if extending the inteval makes sense. M1 0W20 is certainly capable of doing 10K or more in the right circumstances, but it's only one of the variables in play here.

Originally Posted By: Iain
[/quote]

I hear you. However, a big selling point for M1 or any quality synthetic is extended OCI's. Considering it's 2-4X more expensive than dino.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I don't think there's an easy answer to your question.
M1 0W20 is certainly capable of doing 10K or more in the right circumstances, but it's only one of the variables in play here.

Thank you! Very concise and informative response. This UOA was done with 7k miles on the car. I think I probably have to do another now that the car is fully broken in.

blackstone1_0001.jpg

Originally Posted By: Iain

I hear you. However, a big selling point for M1 or any quality synthetic is extended OCI's. Considering it's 2-4X more expensive than dino.

That selling point is a common misperception:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-20.aspx

Quote:
Oil Change Interval: Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long 15,000 miles on some new cars. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual. With Mobil 1’s high-performance reserves, you can have the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

Standard Mobil 1 isn't designed for extended OCI. If you want to go that route, use Mobil 1 EP.

I know the service manager at the Hyundai dealership on a personal level so I'm not worried about any warranty claims.

Before you make this assumption, remember that big money warranty claims cannot be authorized by the dealer. Hyundai will send out a service technician and the service technician will make the decision. Also, Hyundai has a reputation for denying large warranty claims on almost any pretense.

But, it's your car. Do as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back