Mobil 1 AFE Users - Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pour point depressants can contribute substantially...but surely nothing wrong with the use of either along with
the other additive goodies stirred in....bottom line is....
"only da Shadow".....er.... XOM chemists really know.

In looking at the UOA you posted, the oil didn't shear very much, the flashpoint is high and there wasn't that much fuel in the oil. Wear metals seemed pretty low considering it's still really early in the break-in stage.

All of that would seem to suggest that this engine isn't particularly hard on oil. Still, given that you've probably posted the only UOA on a Tau, I'd probably do one at 7.5K and one at 10K, both w/TBN, then decide on the OCI. 10K may be easy for this engine, but it's still an unknown quantity so I'd want to be sure. Nice ride, BTW.

Just ran the 0w30 AFE to Florida and back in a 2008 Ford Explorer, 4.0L V6, me, wife, 4 kids, luggage on top and still made 20 mpg (may not sound like much but an improvement).

Nice mileage bump, smooth operation, and still clean as a whistle. If it wasn't for the OLM/warranty etc.I would run it easily to 10K.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Pour point depressants can contribute substantially...but surely nothing wrong with the use of either along with

Exactly. The men in white coats
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: sullytex
Just ran the 0w30 AFE to Florida and back in a 2008 Ford Explorer, 4.0L V6, me, wife, 4 kids, luggage on top and still made 20 mpg (may not sound like much but an improvement).

Nice mileage bump, smooth operation, and still clean as a whistle. If it wasn't for the OLM/warranty etc.I would run it easily to 10K.

Just curious, any reason why you ran 0W-30? I though Ford's spec 20 grade?

I would run up to 10k and do an analysis. If anything, motor oils get better. I would not care what group the base oil is, as long as it is better than the previous generation. One thing to take into account with extended ODI protocols is the particulate accumulation. Yet, with modern engines and cleaner combustion, it may be not so significant. From what we see, 0Wxx oils from Mobil are of the highest quality.

So far the new SN 0w20 M1 has lowered my oil consumption and made the Honda a tad more quiet. I expect the new stuff to be better than the old in wear protection and still offer superior deposit resistance.

Tbn retention is better according to XOM.

Is it just me or is it really hard to read the dipstick with a new oil change on 0W-20 AFE. The only way I can describe it, is that it doesn't stick to the dipstick very well. It's a very thin film, and since it's new oil, there's no real color to it.

Originally Posted By: buster
So far the new SN 0w20 M1 has lowered my oil consumption and made the Honda a tad more quiet. I expect the new stuff to be better than the old in wear protection and still offer superior deposit resistance.

Tbn retention is better according to XOM.

How can you tell if you have the newer formula, what exactly will it say on the bottle?

+1 on the dipstick! Hard to read even with 4000 miles on the oil.

Buster is referring to the SN vs the older SM version.

On the back there is a round, donut symbol on the back of the bottle, jug, side of box, etc.

API

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM

Exactly. The men in white coats
grin.gif

Now, if only I can remember where I put my coat last...
thumbsup2.gif

Oh, and regards the dipstick with ultra thin layer or 'new' oil? Just tilt you hard on an angle with the light source from a few different angles while holding the dipstick level, and you should be able to see the film's point on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Now, if only I can remember where I put my coat last...
thumbsup2.gif

Oh, and regards the dipstick with ultra thin layer or 'new' oil? Just tilt you hard on an angle with the light source from a few different angles while holding the dipstick level, and you should be able to see the film's point on the dipstick.

Yeah I did that, but the dipstick is a charcoal color which makes it tough to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back