Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 or Vanilla Mobil 1 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2011 Ford F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I've used Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 for the past three years. Prior to that I used Amsoil Signature Series 0W30. I use Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 primarily because it's cold in the winter (typical Canadian prairie winters) and because it meets the appropriate Ford spec. I also noticed that the back of the jug has two check marks for high temperature protection vs. one for vanilla Mobil 1 (marketing, I know). Some on this forum also suggest that Mobil uses better base stocks in the AFE line compared to regular M1.

The AFE seems to work well for me. Little to no consumption over six-month oil change intervals and the truck starts right up the odd time I'm not able to plug it in during the winter months.

Do folks think I should keep using AFE? Or is there a reason to switch to regular M1 5W30? I could use the EP version, but I prefer to change my oil before and after winter (and this engine apparently dilutes oil, especially in the winter) so I get nowhere near 15,000 miles per oil change.

I'm likely to purchase a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost next year so I guess I'm thinking of the future as well.

Thanks

I find that AFE is the best of the lot--even better than EP. I would keep using it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I find that AFE is the best of the lot--even better than EP.

Based on what?

Valid question to compare both the AFE 0W30 vs. the 5W30 : UOA comparison ? , PQIA comparison? , any Mobil info on base stock comparison ? , Which one has the lower NOACK ? , better additives ? etc.

Not sure I understand how the 2018 purchse fits in. Are you intending to buy a 55 gallon bulk drum of the stuff or something?

If the AFE is working for you keep using it, it's a quality lube and found easily OTC, I use it in just about everything including my hard worked K3500 454 year around.

I like AFE. Get a UOA though, Magnetec 5w30 seems to be a home run for the 3.5 EB.

I would definitely go AFE over the normal M1, but I wonder why everyone is suggesting AFE over EP ?

I change every 4-5 months at 10k miles

I believe the OP is keeping the oci relatively short because of fuel dilution so he wouldn't get the full benefit of longer oci with EP.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I find that AFE is the best of the lot--even better than EP.

Based on what?

2015_PSD has posted several UOAs (in a spreadsheet) of both AFE and EP and concluded that AFE might work better for him...look them up.

Why change what's working well? Especially in that climate where you probably actually NEED the 0w several times per year

I have been concerned about M1's published data showing significantly lower Phos and Zinc in AFE than their other oils. I can see how this could aid cold flow. And yet, there is no explanation as to how AFE is formulated to make up for this. Anyone have a good explanation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back