Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 - 5300 Miles - 2014 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: larry007
The SAE move from 5.6 to 6.9 looks like just making room for the 16 weights coming in the future. I'll stick with the original spec for now. LOL, I wonder how happy the oil mfgrs. are?

It narrows the range to be similar to all the other grades too, FWIW.

OVERKILL, yep, that's what the SAE said regarding their re-profiling the range...other oils had to be more shear stable to stay in grade than 20s did.

Also
Quote:
The current SAE Engine Oil Viscosity Classification
Standard J300 defines the 100°C kinematic viscosity of SAE
20 grade engine oils to span the range of 5.6 mm2 /s (cSt) toless than 9.3 mm2/s. The Low Viscosity Grade Working Group questioned whether the lower half of this range is used in practice and chose to conduct several analyses of the Institute of Materials Engine Oil Database covering commercial SAE 20 and XW-20 engine oils, as shown in Figures 8 and 9. It is evident that the kinematic viscosities of
more than 90% of the oils were above 8 mm2/s (cSt) at 100°C. Therefore, the bottom two-thirds of the allowable SAE 20 kinematic viscosity grade is essentially unpopulated.

J300 inclusion of sub 20 grade oils.

In other words, and to answer larry007s question, the oil manufacturers themselves already chose the upper part of the spectrum, with the 2.6HTHS minumum.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Still 20 wt and the oil with the tbn of 6.1 has lots of life in it. I would try 10,000 miles if you are running the same operating conditions. I am running 0w-30 in my 96 Toy Tacoma 4 cyl and the engine seems to never have run better {smooth and quiet}.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

A waste of good oil and $$$....if your not extending to 10K.

Sheared out of grade probably due to DI high pressure fuel pump connected to cam shaft. Wear numbers look good but I wouldn't run 10k miles without sampling again.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Sheared out of grade probably due to DI high pressure fuel pump connected to cam shaft.

Haven't seen how Mazda do their (petrol) DI.

Got any pics of this cam mounted pump ?

Originally Posted By: Dominic
Originally Posted By: NeoNoggie
Don't I need to stay with 0W-20 for warranty reasons?

Yes. There is nothing wrong with 0W-20 either. You had 0 fuel dilution and the TBN is very strong. It's a bit thin, but the wear metals look perfectly fine. I think this shows how well AFE can do. A virgin sample shows AFE at 9.0cSt, and the MGMO is around 8.7. The Schedule 1 of 7500 mile or 6 month oil changes will suit your driving style well.

You can see how mine also went down almost a grade in 5800 miles.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3501447/2014_Mazda6_-_Mazda_MGMO_0W-20

cheers3.gif

BTW, Mazda recommends 5W-30 for Mexico. Personally, I'm running 5W-20 in mine.

I like the wear metals. Not comfortable with the sub 7cst, but that's the old guy in me talking.

I find the fuel reported suspect. Flash and viscosity took a hit, typically a sign of fuel dilution.

Insols are getting up there too, so I'm not sure I would extend too far. What oil filter did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back