Mobil 1 AFE 0w20, 2007 Rav 4 2.4L, 6500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA on this vehicle since we've owned if over the past two years. We purchased it with 110k miles and it's been on a diet of Valvoline MaxLife Blend with 5k OCIs up until this fill. I took over the maintenance and have an interest in hitting 10k OCIs due to the driving style. It's a 95/5 highway trucklet so minus the harsh Ohio winters I think it should be up to the task.

Here are the results of Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 with a M1 EP filter after an unseasonably warm winter. Blackstone picked out the high sodium content but I don't believe it's a coolant leak since it's been on Valvoline Maxlife up until this fill which contains well over 400ppm in the VOA, coupled with the fact that it's not using any coolant. There are 138k miles on the engine at the time of this drain.

34ixLOK.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the numbers here. I've got it on PPPP + Puralator BOSS now and I'll compare results at 8500k OCI. It won't be apples to apples but if things still look good I'm shooting for 10k.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why is there a "?" for antifreeze. I would ask them to test for antifreeze. The sodium is high. Have you had any engine work done recently?

Good question, I just replied to them to get the scoop on that. No major engine work done ever that I know of. I replaced the plugs and both O2 sensors about 3 months ago but otherwise it's been just oil changes.

Here is what I received back from Blackstone:

Quote:
It's because we're not sure if the sodium is from oil additive or coolant. We don't want to make a call one way or the other just yet.

I suspect it's oil additive, now that I know you've been using Valvoline in the past -- but I didn't know that when I was writing your report.

We don't actually test *for* coolant -- we test for potassium and sodium, which are the elements left over when coolant is/has been present. But since sodium has other sources, it's an imperfect system.

If the sodium washes out next time and potassium stays low, you'll see a 0.0% for the antifreeze spot in your next report.

Makes sense. I'm not going to lose sleep over it unless I see high sodium next OCI. I'll keep an eye on the coolant level to be save though.

As you stated Valvoline Maxlife has sodium in its additive pack and it will take more than one OCI to get it out of the system. For example, 50K miles and 4 OCIs later, I still had sodium in my old FX4 after I stopped using MS5K . The fact that you have only 1 ppm of Potassium indicates to me that you do not have a coolant leak and you almost always have to have both for coolant to be present. Blackstone knows this (they should know) and should have stated that instead of leaving you with a question in your mind--especially if they knew about the former use of Valvoline oil.

EDIT - I just saw your post above. So they did explain it in the end. However, you will continue to see sodium for several more OCIs (see my UOA stream).

Sample looks good, but how old was the tested oil? The 1/16 PQIA test of Mobil1 0w-20 showed 1,094 ppm of sodium and 757ppm of magnesium. Yours was quite different: 1,815 calcium and 303 magnesium. (Magnesium seems to be a sodium substitute.)

Low-sodium oils are thought to help prevent LSPI in DI engines, and as Mobil1 is typically low-sodium, some here have gravitated to them.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: stealth17
Sample was less than 7 days old when I received the report back. I'm not sure what you mean by the 1/16 PQIA test and google is showing me this page http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobil1.htm

Can you explain further?
Try this link - M1 AFE 0W-20. Mobil 1 oils do not have sodium in them so I do not know what Danh is talking about.

Brain fade: I meant calcium, not sodium. The PQIA test showed substantially less calcium and more magnesium than the OP's sample. Magnesium and calcium seem to achieve the same objective so more magnesium should allow less calcium. And calcium is the supposed contributor to LSPI in DI engines.

The question about the date was when the oil was purchased or produced. Mobil may have changed the formulation between then and the PQIA sample.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Brain fade: I meant calcium, not sodium. The PQIA test showed substantially less calcium and more magnesium than the OP's sample.
Ah...makes sense. While there is a difference, I will opine that the PQIA sample is a VOA whereas the OPs is a UOA and the previous oil may be affecting the readings. This was the case with my 2010 FX4. Note the difference in calcium after I used MS5K and then switched to AFE and then EP. The calcium readings were a little higher on the first couple of OCs after the MS5K. Not really sure, but it does make me wonder.

Been doing 10K OCIs in my Fusion 2.3 and Focus 2.0 for years now with great results. Just returned from my 19th trip to Florida today in the Fusion. Engine runs great.

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack but I have the same vehicle and am using same oil as you. This engine is prone to consume oil due to premature piston ring wear. Toyota has rolled out a TSB for a courtesy fix regardless of existing miles on your car.

Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine Oil Consumption TSB 0158-14.

Enhanced Warranty Coverage for Excessive Oil Consumption on the following vehicles..

2007-2009 Camry
2007-2011 Camry Hybrid
2007-2008 Solara
2009 Corolla
2009 Matrix
2006-2008 Rav4
2007-2008 Scion Tc
2008-2009 Scion Xb

Getting mine checked this weekend at my local dealership. You might have not received this notice since you recently bought the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Doug051
Don't mean to hijack but I have the same vehicle and am using same oil as you. This engine is prone to consume oil due to premature piston ring wear. Toyota has rolled out a TSB for a courtesy fix regardless of existing miles on your car.

Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine Oil Consumption TSB 0158-14.

Enhanced Warranty Coverage for Excessive Oil Consumption on the following vehicles..

2007-2009 Camry
2007-2011 Camry Hybrid
2007-2008 Solara
2009 Corolla
2009 Matrix
2006-2008 Rav4
2007-2008 Scion Tc
2008-2009 Scion Xb

Getting mine checked this weekend at my local dealership. You might have not received this notice since you recently bought the vehicle.

What is causing the excessive wear? Have they commented on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back