Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30; Have cold weather specs been downgraded?

I bought three jugs of this oil on sale a couple of years ago to use in my wife's Honda Accord. My wife doesn't have access to an electrical outlet at her work's parking lot, so no use of the block heater. On -30 deg C and colder days I really liked the low MRV of 13,250, and pour point of -50 deg C of M1 AFE 0W-30.

Time to stock up again on this oil, but I see on Mobil 1's website that the pour point for M1 AFE 0W-30 is now -42 deg C, and MRV is not listed anymore. Do any of you know, has Mobil 1 downgraded this oil's cold weather performance?

Also adding to my confusion, the website shows M1 5W-30 as having a pour point of -45 deg C (?).

Group 3 Visom swapped for pao?
Mobil I believe has mostly moved on from VISOM and is instead buying GTL, likely cheaper, given the output of Pearl, from I assume SOPUS unless they've managed to start producing it themselves and we are simply unaware.

Mobil I believe has mostly moved on from VISOM and is instead buying GTL, likely cheaper, given the output of Pearl, from I assume SOPUS unless they've managed to start producing it themselves and we are simply unaware.
I'm wondering if QSUD SP is GTL based like PP?

I assume less PAO and more GTL is the reason for the change.

Certainly a possibility ^^^^^↑^

And if it were me... And call me crazy... But I think I'd trust Mobil 1.... :LOL:

Op not trying to give you a hard time here. Not my thought or intention at all. Just having fun and joking around with the second statements there.

It appears to be some percentage of PAO, GTL, III and V (AN's most likely). Noack is 8.7%.

Certainly a possibility ^^^^^↑^

And if it were me... And call me crazy... But I think I'd trust Mobil 1.... :LOL:

Op not trying to give you a hard time here. Not my thought or intention at all. Just having fun and joking around with the second statements there.
No offence taken 😁. It’s just that I was expecting to get the warm & fuzzies from the fantastic cold weather specs on this oil, but was disappointed instead.

The QSUD ( I guess now called "full synthetic") 5w-30 seems to have better MRV specs than the AFE 0w-30, and the same pour point.

The QSUD ( I guess now called "full synthetic") 5w-30 seems to have better MRV specs than the AFE 0w-30, and the same pour point.
Are you comparing them at the same temperature? Because they are measured at different ones for their respective winter ratings. You have to double the QSUD figures to compare them to a 0w-xx.

Yeah I'd bet the Mobil 1 0w30 would still do quite well.

One thing that is tough with typing stuff is how hard it can be at times.. It is amazing how we all can read things and interpret them. Myself included in that.

I believe you will be in good shape with Mobil 1 0w30...

Castrol 0w30 is definitely easier to find up your way. . And that maybe another possibility here too.

IDK, the GTL oils seem to have lower pour points. I think they are using more GTL but still use VISOM and even Group II+...

IDK, the GTL oils seem to have lower pour points. I think they are using more GTL but still use VISOM and even Group II+...
The lighter GTL bases have lower pour points, but GTL still requires PPD's, so the base oil blend has a role. PAO doesn't require PPD's, so it's quite possible that light PAO with heavy GTL to balance it with some PPD's ends up with a higher pour point than a blend that's entirely lighter GTL with more VII dosed with PPD's.

Good point; my mistake. Just for clarity, QSUD advertises 3800 ccs vis at -30c and 12550 mrv at -35c which is pretty good amongst 5Ws. Still has a 100c vis of 11.6.

Going back to Noack, I'm quite surprised it is as low as it is considering the speculated base oils used. Mobil does classify the AFE line as a step up in high temperature performance than standard Mobil 1. I'm not sure what that means though in terms of base oils. Maybe nothing at all.

Seems like the multiple base oil approach has won out. Amsoil also is using some III or GTL in SS. As others have mentioned, III's have their own advantages.

2020-10-15_20-36-59.png.5c0dd27f67ce35e88878382d77d0f7d5.png

Good point; my mistake. Just for clarity, QSUD advertises 3800 ccs vis at -30c and 12550 mrv at -35c which is pretty good amongst 5Ws. Still has a 100c vis of 11.6.

Yes, which explains why it is a 5w-xx and not a 0w-xx as that CCS translates into ~7,600cP at -35C and the MRV becomes ~25,000cP at -40C assuming there isn't a sudden change in wax crystal formation driving it higher.

Back