Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is cool Søren, here at WalMart I bought a quart of Mobil One AFE 0w-20 about a year ago for $9.00. That is a normal price and maybe a few cents more at a proper parts house (Auto Zone or NAPA). We get alot of oil change specials and WalMart sells very low cost 5 quart jugs all the time it seems.

I used to chase the cheap oils- now I want the good quality ones, not necessarily the top notch oils that are expensive or deplete scarce resources, but like a solid semi-synthetic. I do yearly oil changes pretty much. I now generally pay retail MSRP full price for oil. Conventional oil is about $4-5 a quart. Blend is $5-7 and synthetic is $8-9. So your prices are not crazy. Also your economy and country are obviously very different. It is like 2000 miles coast to coast over here and many folks, I think, average 12,000 miles a year. Truckers generally go (100,000) miles or more a year and I was a courier driving between (50,000-75,000) yearly miles.

I feel us low-balling gasoline retailers and trying to get twenty dollar oil changes is what makes our gas/oil prices jump up and down all the time.

Really, if you think about it- a $75 oil change where they do a decent inspection is a great deal and it is enough for most people to last a year. But, around here it seems everyone will drive across town for a penny cheaper gas and drive for ages on a $20 oil change.

The last one I paid for was before I joined in BITOG (2003 if I recall), I had a little Ford 1.3 liter inline four and the place charged me between $30-35. I left having had good work done, but I was not particular thrilled about the price. I too am guilty of (or having been a cheapskate). But they treated my battery with the red paint, cleaned the glass I think and even vacuumed. And who knows what all they did in the pit underneath the car. Anyway, I usually ran 10w-30 in that car, but once went to the dealer for a battery and picked up some Motorcraft 5w-20 and that little four cylinder purred and churned very smoothly.

My only real experience with 20wts. I love my 30 weight oils. 10w-30 is the best. Just ask Merkava_4!!

Originally Posted By: shDK
Yeah many new cars spec 0w-20 and actually VW just made a new oil spec called 509.00 that is for 0w-20 oils.

But no..our climate here is not that cold.

Copenhagen, which isn't exactly in N Denmark, is farther North than Edmonton in Canada - that's gotta be cold.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: shDK
Yeah many new cars spec 0w-20 and actually VW just made a new oil spec called 509.00 that is for 0w-20 oils.

But no..our climate here is not that cold.

Copenhagen, which isn't exactly in N Denmark, is farther North than Edmonton in Canada - that's gotta be cold.

Copenhagen is a port city and that entire part of the world is also warmed by the terminus of the Gulf Stream. I read an interesting article a while back that suggested that England would be an icebound country if the Gulf Stream somehow failed.

Copenhagen is also just about as far North as Glasgow and Edinburgh, which are not incredibly cold places.

@ Virtus - Yeah, you're right - Copenhagen is warmer than Boston in the winter and cooler than Boston in the summer. Good weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back