Mobil 1 7,500 Mile OCI on 2008 Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Mustang GT with 37,500 miles. Barring a spike to $5 gas, I'm planning a cross country road trip this summer which I've estimated at between 7,500 and 8,000 miles in total. I usually use either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Synthetic and change the oil out every 5,000 miles.

I do my own oil changes and due to prior experience avoid Jiffy Lube type shops like the plague. Even more so in an unknown city on a road trip. But I'm concerned about running 7,500 to 8,000 miles. However, almost all of these miles will be highway and the trip is only a month in duration.

Here is a link to a post with one of my earlier oil reports for a change done at a 4,400 mile interval. Can any clues regarding the safety of a 7,500 to 8,000 mile interval be interpreted based on this report? Thanks for any input.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...130#Post1692130

You'll be OK since it's pretty much all highway miles. For some odd reason, I want to say that there is someone on here does extended OCIs (10k-12k) with PYB and has never had issues, so you should really be ok with synthetics going that far.

I found it.
PYB Highway OCI

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd run regular M1 in there for that long, but M1 EP (or Penn Ultra if that's your other oil of preference) and the like will more than likely handle the task with ease. If in doubt, use a better oil and never have to worry about it. I'm not the typical "do it for peace of mind" kinda guy, but if you're the type who'll worry about something as small as oil on a fun road trip, then spend the money on a boutique oil and don't spend another second thinking about it.

Hi.

You will be fine. I run approximately 5000 mile oil change intervals with conventional oils in all my vehicles, except my ZX-10R (motorcycle), Acura NSX, Mazda RX-7, and Lotus Elise, because they simply do not get enough miles every year. The oil change intervals for those are approximately 1 year because of moisture accumulation, which I want to avoid.

I have run several oils significantly longer than the 5000 mile interval with my truck, which also does quite a bit of cross country adventures. I use a diesel engine oil (Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc.) because I feel it offers the best protection for the money, and is significantly more flexible than conventional, and significantly more affordable than synthetics, while offering equal engine protection...when longer intervals are required.

Rest assured, there is nothing that Mobil 1 regular variety cannot handle.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict how a longer oil change interval will play out using your attached report. There are always different variables acting upon the situation, such as a greater extent of oil degradation.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably use Mobil 1 EP and then run an oil test when I get back. Who knows I may start running 7,500 mile OCI rather than 5,000 if it looks good. I doubt I'll have problems with it but figured I'd see what everyone had to say.

I ran reg M1 in my Ford 4.6 for 218K. Did 10-11K OCIs and the engine still remained very clean. A friend is using 5-30EP in his Ford 3.8 with 15-16K OCIs with the same result. 140K on the engine. 7.5K is a snap.

Your previous UOA at 4400 miles shows plenty of TBN life left in the oil at TBN = 5.7. Should be no problem running the oil to 8000 miles.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I ran reg M1 in my Ford 4.6 for 218K. Did 10-11K OCIs and the engine still remained very clean. A friend is using 5-30EP in his Ford 3.8 with 15-16K OCIs with the same result. 140K on the engine. 7.5K is a snap.

Yeah the 3.8's will go forever with regular maintenance, can't speak to the 4.6's from personal experience.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
Originally Posted By: tig1

Yeah the 3.8's will go forever with regular maintenance, can't speak to the 4.6's from personal experience.

Yep! My friend does regular maintenance every 15K.

I have to agree that 8k of highway miles in a month will be a breeze for any oil.

Post the results after the trip.

Being lots of highway miles, I think you should be safe. [censored], I've heard of people running 12K OCIs on Castrol GTX, so you should be fine 8k on this fine synthetic Oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back