Mobil 1 5w40 truck&suv or Delvac / Shell Rotella 15w40 - BMW & Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI to all,

I have 2 old cars since new, for 30 years, in my family. A 1976 Buick Electra 225 LTD, 455-V8, 104000 miles. Uses 1qt. of 20w50, Castrol GTX, every 500-600 miles, throughout it's history from new. Next, 1979 BMW 733i 3.2 I6, 205000 miles, 15w40 Shell Rotella T, in this last change, but have used a good 10w30 oil, used 1 qt. in 3000 miles or due at change time, of whatever was on sale at Murray's, in Ann Arbor, MI. when I could do my own servicing. I am in the Michigan Masonic Home, in Alma, and have found a great local MECHANIC, to help me keep my old cars alive. I trust them to go anywhere at anytime, after getting them back in shape. I was paralyzed for 2 years and couldn't drive or walk. Doing better, but not without a wheelchair and walker for me. The cars are swell, better than I thought.

I am doing a MMO treatment on both cars, which I posted in the additives section of the forum and have had a nice reply from Doug Hillary, from OZ, on his 928S4 Porsche, great car!

I need your thinking on what oil to use with my old Buick and BMW, when I am done with the MMO treatment.

I decided that Mobil 1 5w40 truck&suv oil, would be ideal for both cars. The question remains will the Buick, guzzzle this oil and start popping leaks on me? The Buick has been using Kendall GT1 20w50, most of it's life with a case of Castrol 20w50 GTX, on occaision. The BMW has Shell Rotella T 15w40, and really likes this oil. It hasn't used enough to add before the MMO treatment.

Other chuices are Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40, Shell Rotella T 15w40 or 5w40 Synthetic. Depends on what happens with consumption and the costs at the oil change places. There is a Wal-Mart, here so I can buy the Mobil 1 5w40 t&suv, 5qt. for under $20. OK, what do you think?

First, I hope you continue on the road to recovery. You sound pretty chipper about it all.

Nice cars. I always thought it would be fun to have a 1960s-70s 225 convertible!!

My initial reaction is, due to the oil consumption of the Buick, to go with Delvac 1300 with that car, and the BMW, which seems tighter, to go with the M1 T&SUV.

actually, chevron delo 400 seems to work best with BMW engines in older cars. Id say to use it or delvac 1300, maybe just pick one and use it in both cars.

JMH

Well, guys ..given the age and the mileage on these two fine vehicles ..I don't think I'd worry about expense of consumption.

I would say try them both on M1TSUV and see what happens. If consumption is reduced or increased ..act accordingly.

Assuming that either of these vehicles are driven in the winter, then I'd say that the advantages of a synth would be worth any marginal increase in consumption ..if any.

Brothers, Thanks for the replies. It shows my thinking is in the right direction.
dunno.gif

The cars don't get driven in the Winter and have been garaged, when I had my home in Ann Arbor. They have a sentimental value for me, kinda like a pair of old family dogs, if you know what I mean. They aren't daily drivers, but I use them for pleasure and happiness, when I can drive.

With the low mileage that I drive these days, if I can drive 5000 miles before Winter, comes back again, but I'll be driving them on day trips 200-300 miles a day. I'll try the Mobil products as a first choice and the Shell products, as plan B, if the Mobil products are too aggressive in their cleaning and oil leaks start. I think the high viscosity oils, ie. 15w40, will work better in that regard, but since I've been educated by this forum, Cost may be a factor as the quick oil change place, charged me the same for Shell Rotella T 15w40, as for their "house" 10w30! I don't know how much extra the Mobil oil products will be? I want the new technology 5w40 synthetics, available to keep the engines healthier,longer.
burnout.gif

I want to clean the ring packs and intake system of the Buick, all that used 10w40, over the last 20 years, before I went to the 20w50. Never considered HDEO's, as a choice until now, being educated by this fine forum. I only thought that I was the only one who liked to look at motor oils, at the stores
worshippy.gif

Is there an additive that you think would be advantageous for me to use with my driving situation? I use Marvel Mystery Oil, in the fuel, never in the engine until now, because of my past experience with it, in classic cars, and find it to do a fine job, for the long lay-up periods that the cars have. I called MMO and asked their answerman on the correct proceedure for using MMO, in this manner. He told me to follow the directions on the container and that it is OK, to leave it in for my 3000 mile OCI. Any other ideas and products?

If anyone finds themselves up this way, email me and stop by for a visit, Alma, is in the center of the mitt of Michigan.
cheers.gif
Thanks...Paul.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back