Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M vs 0w40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 meets the Volkswagen 507.00 specification.
http://www.avlube.com/mo1espfo5wvw.html
I do not think it would be sold at Chrysler dealerships.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40 meets the MB 229.51 spec for Mercedes Benz and Chrysler engines.
http://www.avlube.com/mo1espfom5wc.html

Even though it does not meet the specification for the 2009 VW TDI, because of its higher viscosity it may turn out to be a superior choice for TDI owners -- but probably not until after the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

It is, check my post above for the Mopar part number. I buy mine from a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds these specifications...

ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4
ACEA (Meets Engine Test Requirements) A5/B5
API (Meets Engine Test Requirements) SL / SM
API CF

It has these manufacturer approvals...

BMW Longlife 04
Mercedes Benz MB-Approval 229.31/229.51
Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504.00 / 507.00
Peugeot Citroen Automobiles E06-N3 / D06-N3

And it is recommended in these applications...

Volkswagen (Gasoline) 502 00 / 503 00 / 503 01
Volkswagen^ (Diesel) 505 00 / 506 00 / 506.01
^All VW engines with the exception of Unit-Injector /
Pump-Duse TDI without Longlife Service and without
DPF between 1999-2003 and R5/V10-TDi before model
year 2006

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter

It is, check my post above for the Mopar part number. I buy mine from a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer.

That is interesting. I wonder if/how many other Chrysler dealers carry it, or only the one near you? It would certainly make things easier for those TDI owners who want a 507.00-spec oil.

That is interesting. I wonder if/how many other Chrysler dealers carry it, or only the one near you? It would certainly make things easier for those TDI owners who want a 507.00-spec oil.

Actually there are four or five dealers near me who stock it. I just do all my business with the one because they happen to be both the least expensive and closest. How can you beat that?

Go here and enter your zip-code in the dealer locator at the top of the page. Then just call the dealers on the list, give the parts department the Mopar number and request their price and availability. If they don't have it in stock, and they're nice, they'll tell you which dealers do have it in inventory.
wink.gif

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 isn't that hard to find. It's available from any Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Freightliner dealer. It is listed as Part No. 68001334AA. It is the specified oil for the 3.0L CRD (WK) and Sprinter 3.0L OM642 (VB) Mercedes-Benz diesel engines. I pick it up for a little over $6 a liter.

I discovered that your information is not only correct, but also that it's been out there for some time -- I totally missed it.
(not sure if this link will work for everyone)

Okay, the link doesn't work, but you can go here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2375861&postcount=23

(cut and paste, do not just click on link.)

I found a discussion of the availability of the M1 ESP Formula 5w30 -- someone who tried to order some from his local Mopar dealership was told that it was on backorder, that 28,000 liters were on backorder nationally, and Chrysler was switching to a Pennzoil product in the future. No idea if any of this is true. Another source said the shortage was a Mobil production problem that was or has been resolved.

The folks who were able to buy it off the shelf at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Sprinter dealerships were paying $9-11/liter. One guy reported paying $7/liter. http://www.avlubricants.com charges about $8.50 plus shipping.

Originally Posted By: daman
great info, do we have a VOA on this oil? and how much are you guy's paying for this???? qts,gals???

Here's a VOA and a UOA > http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2351703&postcount=835

I'm sticking with M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. And if I was looking for one of the Mobil 1 ESP oils, I'd probably go with the Formula M 5w40 instead of this 5w30. But I don't have an engine that requires a low-SAPS oil.

I like that the ESP Formula 5w30 has a little moly in it, but wish it had more zinc. I'd add a little ZDDP, maybe one ounce each oil change, just to be safe.

great info, do we have a VOA on this oil? and how much are you guy's paying for this???? qts,gals???

Here's a VOA and a UOA > http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2351703&postcount=835

I'm sticking with M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. And if I was looking for one of the Mobil 1 ESP oils, I'd probably go with the Formula M 5w40 instead of this 5w30. But I don't have an engine that requires a low-SAPS oil.

I like that the ESP Formula 5w30 has a little moly in it, but wish it had more zinc. I'd add a little ZDDP, maybe one ounce each oil change, just to be safe.

sweet thanks for that TR,wow only a 5.1 TBN is that right?? must be SM?? thought adds would have been a little stronger for this oil. calcium is sad!!!!

adds would have been a little stronger for this oil. calcium is sad!!!!

Yeah, it's not an extended-drain oil. But folks have been getting some great UOA with it. One guy tested at the beginning of an interval and then 10k miles later, and the increase in Fe was only 18 ppm.

Yeah, it's not an extended-drain oil. But folks have been getting some great UOA with it. One guy tested at the beginning of an interval and then 10k miles later, and the increase in Fe was only 18 ppm.

Hmmm good to hear..

It is an extended-drain oil, BTW.

For my purposes, an extended-drain oil is one that I could safely run for much longer than the normal 10k-mile OCI in my TDI -- without a bypass filter and without interval UOA.

When I see TBN between 2 and 3 after 10k miles, IMO the oil might look good then but it will run out of acid-neutralizing agents shortly after. I would not trust it.

For my purposes, an extended-drain oil is one that I could safely run for much longer than the normal 10k-mile OCI in my TDI -- without a bypass filter and without interval UOA.

When I see TBN between 2 and 3 after 10k miles, IMO the oil might look good then but it will run out of acid-neutralizing agents shortly after. I would not trust it.

Ah, I see, you were using personal criteria.

I think Mobil was promoting it as a 20K/km to 30K/km oil in the European market.

cheers3.gif

I think Mobil was promoting it as a 20K/km to 30K/km oil in the European market.

Not exactly. It is approved for vehicles with a variable-interval sensor, that detects degradation and alerts the driver that it's time to change the oil.

So that would take the place of UOA in the US.

What I would call an extended-drain oil is one that can go longer than any other oil in a particular application. Only a handful of HDEO meet that criteria IMO.

Not exactly. It is approved for vehicles with a variable-interval sensor, that detects degradation and alerts the driver that it's time to change the oil.

So that would take the place of UOA in the US.

What I would call an extended-drain oil is one that can go longer than any other oil in a particular application. Only a handful of HDEO meet that criteria IMO.

Yeah, that's what the 20-30K/km long-life automotive oil rating is intended for, flexible service interval usage. I wasn't implying that it was a 20K-30K/km fixed interval, if that's how it seemed. Off hand, I can't recall a recommended fixed interval (in N.A.) of more than 1yr/10K miles in a light-duty vehicle.

If we're discussing HDEO oils, then that's another subject entirely. The problem is that there aren't any that have the necessary approvals. They're certainly capable of extended-drain usage, though. I'm currently running Shell Rotella T 5W-40 on a 40K mile OCI (rated to 50K) on my Volvo VNs. I'm considering switching to TOTAL Rubia TIR 9200 FE 5W-30, however.

My understanding is that the 229.51 spec MB oils are being run up to 30k km in Europe, based on the OLM.

FOr a few years, MB vehicles were on a set 1 yr or 13k mi OCI. We had been running 7500 mi OCI's with M1 0w40 in our e320 cdi, and are now at 10k intervals with the 5w40 ESP

and Chrysler was switching to a Pennzoil product in the future. No idea if any of this is true.
The folks who were able to buy it off the shelf at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Sprinter dealerships were paying $9-11/liter.

just called two Chrysler dealers one gave me a crazy price of $140($11 qt)case 5w30,the other one said they can't get it amymore because Chrysler switch over to Pennzoil,and thats what they send them?,go figure.

is the ESP line much better then TDT??

and Chrysler was switching to a Pennzoil product in the future. No idea if any of this is true.
The folks who were able to buy it off the shelf at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Sprinter dealerships were paying $9-11/liter.

just called two Chrysler dealers one gave me a crazy price of $140($11 qt)case 5w30,the other one said they can't get it amymore because Chrysler switch over to Pennzoil,and thats what they send them?,go figure.

Better for the engine? No. Better if your vehicle has a diesel particulate filter? Maybe. If mine had a DPF, I'd be looking at ways to remove or disable it, and to tune the engine software so it wouldn't produce a MIL if it doesn't recognize the DPF.

Better for the engine? No. Better if your vehicle has a diesel particulate filter? Maybe. If mine had a DPF, I'd be looking at ways to remove or disable it, and to tune the engine software so it wouldn't produce a MIL if it doesn't recognize the DPF.

Thats what i figured..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back