Mobil 1 5W30 vs. Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flip a coin, your engine will not care.

I am at the point that my oil choice is based on lowest price API certified oil. Synthetic preferred.
Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Chevron/Havoline, Shell/Rotella, Warren (Supertech/Amazon), makes no difference to me.
Only exception would be if it required a specific cert (like BMW or VW ), but I don't own any of those vehicles.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by wemay
Had M1 EP 5w30 in my kia and didn't like it - the car felt sluggish, changed it after 4 months and poured Magnatec in - it feels like I've bought a brand new car now, way way smoother and easier running. Between those 2 I would try Valvoline

Mobil1 feels just fine in my 2.4L, so did Valvoline Syn for that matter.
smile.gif

I wonder if EP works differently from the vanilla M1

Yeah, that may be, SlavaB. I'm just notorious for not being able to tell the difference.

For the Hyundai, I would go M1 as well. I have ran Valvoline in my gf's Kia with the 1.6 GDI non turbo, wasn't really that impressed. I liked the M1 in it.

However, for the last 3 OCI I have ran QSUD 5w-30 and really liked it. Not sure how it stacks up against the M1 EP in NOACK, HTHS numbers etc.

The QSUD just feels good in it. I always stick with the Hy/Kia OEM filter.

Last edited:
I cannot, for the life of me, tell the difference in "feel" between any in-spec oil in my vehicles.

Now fresh transmission fluid or diff fluid after a long interval? Yeah, things can feel a little different, but that's probably just my own placebo bias.

Originally Posted by BLND1
I cannot, for the life of me, tell the difference in "feel" between any in-spec oil in my vehicles.

I totally agree.
I rarely use the same oil twice in row in an engine and have never heard, felt, smelt, tasted or seen any difference with different oils.

Maybe I need to get a butt dyno adjustment?
21.gif

Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 runs quieter in the 5.0L Coyote than Motorcraft 5W-20. The new Advanced formula also has moly now. I'm going from Mobil 1 full synthetic to Valvoline Advanced (both 5W-30) in my 4.0L V6 Tacoma at the next oil changr (due soon). Will be interesting if I notice any running or noise differences.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 runs quieter in the 5.0L Coyote than Motorcraft 5W-20. The new Advanced formula also has moly now. I'm going from Mobil 1 full synthetic to Valvoline Advanced (both 5W-30) in my 4.0L V6 Tacoma at the next oil changr (due soon). Will be interesting if I notice any running or noise differences.

My next OCI will be done using Napa oil and I just keep telling myself that it's [almost] the same as the new VAS and has moly as well (which I have no idea if it does since there was no recent VOA, but it feels reassuring)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I just switched from Mobil1 to valvoline advanced synthetic in my 4L Tacoma. I didn't notice a single thing. Valve noise is so variable depending on surroundings that it's impossible to tell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Mobil 1 because there is a rebate...

Which doesn't work. It's been 16 weeks since I've submitted the previous M1 rebate, recently used their form "research request" or smth and asked what's the status.
Their response was literally a link to the same website where you can check the rebate status, which finds 0 entries for my submission.

Which doesn't work. It's been 16 weeks since I've submitted the previous M1 rebate, recently used their form "research request" or smth and asked what's the status.
Their response was literally a link to the same website where you can check the rebate status, which finds 0 entries for my submission.

Resubmit your rebate!

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I run a severe duty OCI pretty much (suburban driving )- over 4K to 5K miles my average speed is 25 MPH . In my case , it probably doesn't matter . In the past I ran Valvoline white bottle and in my '97 Dodge Caravan with 3K mile OCI's it sludged up pretty badly . M1 EP 5W30 sounds like a good oil for extended OCI's but for me with a DI engine probably not good to run past 5K miles in any driving condition .

What engine was in your '97Caravan? I ask because, I had a '95 Caravan with a 3.0 v6 that I bought new. With the exception of maybe 6 oci's it ran 250,000 miles on VWB 5w30. It still ran great when I sold it. I had the valve covers off at around 170,000 miles and saw only light varnish.

Then call them, or stop getting a rebate and returning your oil to walmart, which is the reason 90% of the gripers here don't get rebates...

Then call them, or stop getting a rebate and returning your oil to walmart, which is the reason 90% of the gripers here don't get rebates...

Dude, you jumped to your conclusions so fast, do you still have any real world friends?

Dude, you jumped to your conclusions so fast, do you still have any real world friends?

I'm not the one [censored] and moaning on the internet about how the bad guys won't give him a rebate...

If you didn't get a rebate, you're lazy because you didn't call, you're incompetent because you can't follow the rules and procedures, or you did something to be blacklisted...

I'm not the one [censored] and moaning on the internet about how the bad guys won't give him a rebate...

If you didn't get a rebate, you're lazy because you didn't call, you're incompetent because you can't follow the rules and procedures, or you did something to be blacklisted...

I hope screaming on a monitor does help with your problems. Would suggest seeing a doctor as well, but it's up to you

Last edited:

I hope screaming on a monitor does help with your problems. Will suggest to see a doctor as well, but it's up to you

Wow. *****. Children these days...

Maybe take your Ritalin and stop crying about the big bad Mobil 1...

I hope screaming on a monitor does help with your problems. Will suggest to see a doctor as well, but it's up to you

Wow. *****. Children these days...

Maybe take your Ritalin and stop crying about the big bad Mobil 1...

Sure old man, so old and wise don't even know how to communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back