Mobil 1 5W30 vs. Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found both oils on sale for close to the same price - which 5W30 synthetic would you use for a summer fill in a Hyundai 2.4L DI (non turbo) engine ? The NOACK of the Valvoline Advanced 5W30 is 9.3 (not sure about the M1) . KV rating of the Valvoline @ 100 degrees C. is 10.2 while the M1 is over 11 . The Viscosity Index of the Valvoline 5W30 is 158 while the M1 is 172 which might make for a longer OCI on the M1 5W30 ?

Seems to me you are leaning to the M1.
thumbsup2.gif

Vanilla M1 5w-30 Noak is 9.7. I used Valvoline synthetic products (engine and rear axle oil) a few years ago and was not impressed.

In the past I have not been impressed with Valvoline synthetics in the 30 grade range, though the 0W20 have been good for a few years.and ran best in the subaru - for an american marketed pseudo-synthetic premium oil.. The Advanced has a new non-sodium add pack. I did find just before I sold it, that the 5w30 advanced was one of the best three oils I've used in over a decade that went in the "noisy" 2014 Rogue Select.

The other two are not marketed anymore. One was Semi-Synthetic Magnetec ( not the full synthetic) The other was Pennzoil HIgh Mileage 10w30 Bronze bottle - NON DEXOS.

In the VW I'm stuck with vW 508/509. But, whatever is in that sump from the factory is stupendous.

Id try the Valvoline, but if the car spec 20 grade better yet run a real synthetic euro-spec 20 grade year round.

If the car runs on a 20 grade in the winter it will run on 20 in the summer - or its broken.

Last edited:
Try both at different time to see if you can notice any differences in either of them.
Go with the M1 now and VAS next time. Those who like one over the other just stick with that oil.

Why would a higher viscosity index in a finished oil make for a longer oil change interval?

I think either would be fine but I'd choose Mobil1 if I were extending my OCI past 7K....just my opinion.

I run a severe duty OCI pretty much (suburban driving )- over 4K to 5K miles my average speed is 25 MPH . In my case , it probably doesn't matter . In the past I ran Valvoline white bottle and in my '97 Dodge Caravan with 3K mile OCI's it sludged up pretty badly . M1 EP 5W30 sounds like a good oil for extended OCI's but for me with a DI engine probably not good to run past 5K miles in any driving condition .

Valvoline. It's higher HTHS 3.2 is perfect for summer hot weather, and I like Valvoline's use of titanium in its AW/FM package. This is a close call though. Either would be OK, as both are dexos1 Gen2.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I found both oils on sale for close to the same price - which 5W30 synthetic would you use for a summer fill in a Hyundai 2.4L DI (non turbo) engine ? The NOACK of the Valvoline Advanced 5W30 is 9.3 (not sure about the M1) . KV rating of the Valvoline @ 100 degrees C. is 10.2 while the M1 is over 11 . The Viscosity Index of the Valvoline 5W30 is 158 while the M1 is 172 which might make for a longer OCI on the M1 5W30 ?

Frankly they are so close the first thing that comes to mind is on sale, rebate and availability. Either one will serve you well. In fact even a 10w-30 would do well.

Last edited:
Had M1 EP 5w30 in my kia and didn't like it - the car felt sluggish, changed it after 4 months and poured Magnatec in - it feels like I've bought a brand new car now, way way smoother and easier running. Between those 2 I would try Valvoline

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Had M1 EP 5w30 in my kia and didn't like it - the car felt sluggish, changed it after 4 months and poured Magnatec in - it feels like I've bought a brand new car now, way way smoother and easier running. Between those 2 I would try Valvoline
The Placebo Effect is strong with this one.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd choose Mobil 1 over the Valvoline synthetic products.
27.gif

Why are you hiding under a chair. It's your choice...no biggie.

Mobil1 feels just fine in my 2.4L, so did Valvoline Syn for that matter.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The Placebo Effect is strong with this one.

Being an engineer, I don't only rely on my gut feeling.
You can measure certain things, like 0-60 time and other stuff.
I'm pretty confident in my results, and it's up to you what you believe in
smile.gif

Originally Posted by wemay

Mobil1 feels just fine in my 2.4L, so did Valvoline Syn for that matter.
smile.gif

I wonder if EP works differently from the vanilla M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back