Mobil 1 5w30 ESP - What is the correct application???? Benefit/Harm?

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about Mobil 1 5w30 ESP, what is the correct application for this oil? I realize that the oil has the VW 504/507 rating as well as other OEM manufacturers approvals, but is it a good oil to run in a "run of the mill" engine that requires regular 5w30?
Is there a benefit to using ESP vs regular 5w30 Mobil 1, in a regular engine? Is there a harm to using it in a regular engine?
How does the ESP compare to regular 5w30 oil? Is the ESP a step up in quality from the other synthetic oils in the Mobil 1 line ?

Thank you,
Zack

Yes you can, it’s an API SN oil. Use it and decide for yourself. Personally, I’m sold for life. Get it via Napa when on sale

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about Mobil 1 5w30 ESP, what is the correct application for this oil? I realize that the oil has the VW 504/507 rating as well as other OEM manufacturers approvals, but is it a good oil to run in a "run of the mill" engine that requires regular 5w30?
Is there a benefit to using ESP vs regular 5w30 Mobil 1, in a regular engine? Is there a harm to using it in a regular engine?
How does the ESP compare to regular 5w30 oil? Is the ESP a step up in quality from the other synthetic oils in the Mobil 1 line ?

Thank you,
Zack
I used it in my highly thrashed on turbo car before I switched to Redline Euro 5w-30. Why spend the money with this oil if you are not abusing or pushing your oil. It costs close to double of regular. Mobil 1. I may go back to it if I can’t get my Redline on sale as I did for 3 oil change worth, with a 15 qt on sale buy.

Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Zack
It is developed for engines with aftertreatment emissions systems (DPF/GPF). It is good for engines with direct injection, if low sulfur fuel is used.
It is heavy W30 oil, borderline W40 oil, so it is not energy conserving oil like regular M1 5W30. It is top of the line product, and it will do good in any engine, if everything is ok. If there are issues with fuel dilution etc. it might not do full OCI as TBN is on lower side.
IMO, any turbo engine should use oil like this or similar. Now would I put it in my Toyota Sienna? No. Would I put it in my Tiguan? Yes, next week, just 0W30 version. It is waiting on shelf in garage.

It is developed for engines with aftertreatment emissions systems (DPF/GPF). It is good for engines with direct injection, if low sulfur fuel is used.
It is heavy W30 oil, borderline W40 oil, so it is not energy conserving oil like regular M1 5W30. It is top of the line product, and it will do good in any engine, if everything is ok. If there are issues with fuel dilution etc. it might not do full OCI as TBN is on lower side.
IMO, any turbo engine should use oil like this or similar. Now would I put it in my Toyota Sienna? No. Would I put it in my Tiguan? Yes, next week, just 0W30 version. It is waiting on shelf in garage.
Well cost aside, would it harm the Sienna in terms of emissions equipment, etc? Would it be beneficial, even slightly, in the Sienna?

I was thinking of running the Mobil 1 5w30 ESP in my 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with the 2ZZ engine. The Celica is just a summer toy and at this point it only has 29,000 miles, but it is a very high reving engine, so I figured the ESP "might" offer a touch extra protection over the regular Mobil 1 5w30 that has been run in the car for the last twenty years. At this point if I put 400-500 miles a year on the Celica, that's a lot, so cost is not a big deal.

To be honest, it was developed for diesel vehicles with Diesel Particulate filters. (DPF). Then the marketing guys ran down to the lab and asked what else can it to.
“ Well, it can reduce harm to your catalytic converter.” “OK, we’ll put that in the ad”.:D
So, basically it is a HDEO that was approved for PCMO use? Isn't there a Shell product that does something similar?

To be honest, it was developed for diesel vehicles with Diesel Particulate filters. (DPF). Then the marketing guys ran down to the lab and asked what else can it to.
“ Well, it can reduce harm to your catalytic converter.” “OK, we’ll put that in the ad”.:D
The specification is 504 (GAS) / 507 (DIESEL)

It was developed with gasoline engines in mind from the start.

The specification is 504 (GAS) / 507 (DIESEL)

It was developed with gasoline engines in mind from the start.
They gave it away in their product guide. Read column 5 across from 5w30 ESP. But really, who cares. It’s big brother, 0w40 ESP is the Corvette oil. They are both Dexos 2.
D2FDD9B7-6511-4CB0-BD58-3F5093FDA737.png

Last edited:
I have enough confidence in this oil to run it in my Corvette, even though technically it's not the oil specified in the owner's manual (it calls for a dexos1 5w30) The updated recommendation from GM allows for my Corvette to run the 0w40 ESP Formula, which is dexos2, so I'm sort of splitting the difference between the two by running a 5w30 dexos2 oil. I'm still running the previous formula of it though, when it was called ESP Formula 5w30 (now it's simply called ESP 5w30, they dropped the Formula name) The version I'm running is slightly better, I still have 5 more oil changes worth of it in my stash thankfully.

Well cost aside, would it harm the Sienna in terms of emissions equipment, etc? Would it be beneficial, even slightly, in the Sienna?
It cannot hurst emission system. It is design to further protect emission system. I am not sure about benefits compared to M1 5W30 EP in this particular engine. I did UOA on 10k OCI using EP and it was stellar.

No.
It reduces dramatically deposits on intake valves in direct injection engines. It is VW504.00/507.00, dual gas/diesel specification from the beginning of development. I worked on development of VW504.00/507.00 oil. Specification was developed for dual use from beginning since VW at that time was introducing FSI and TFSI engines in Europe (2003-2005 timeframe). It is very tough specification wear wise, and hardly anything surpass it in that discipline.

Back