Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs 0w40 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
On paper, the 5w30 appears to be the better oil. Mobil 1 5w30 ESP has always been a strong formulation for it's intended application. I wonder why Mobil chose the 0w40 when the 5w30 was available, and arguably just as capable as the 0w40?

We've already witnessed the confusion over 0w-40 dexos 2 versus 0w-40 A3/B4. Imagine the confusion over 5w-30 dexos2 versus 5w-30 dexos1 in a gasoline engine in North America? The Mobil help desk people would be calling the stress hotline.
wink.gif

Partsource is having a save the tax event here right now, so I pulled the trigger and bought some 5w30 ESP to go in my Corvette on it's next oil change! I'm only 1000 miles into the current OCI though, so this oil isn't going in there right away but with spring here now I'll be putting a lot of miles on the car so it shouldn't be too long.

Interestingly enough, they had two versions of the 5w30 ESP at the store, they had some with and some without the dexos2 certification on it (I made sure to get the dexos2 stuff) I wonder if there is a difference in formula at all between the two of them? Both say made in France.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Partsource is having a save the tax event here right now, so I pulled the trigger and bought some 5w30 ESP to go in my Corvette on it's next oil change! I'm only 1000 miles into the current OCI though, so this oil isn't going in there right away but with spring here now I'll be putting a lot of miles on the car so it shouldn't be too long.

Interestingly enough, they had two versions of the 5w30 ESP at the store, they had some with and some without the dexos2 certification on it (I made sure to get the dexos2 stuff) I wonder if there is a difference in formula at all between the two of them? Both say made in France.

In looking at the data sheet for the version that is Dexos 2, I see no difference from the previous typical properties.

Did not read all posts, but I noticed immediately that HTHS is lower for 0W40 ESP then 5W30 ESP when I first learned from Quattro Pete few months ago about this new oil.
Also, 5W30 ESP carries slew of manufacturers approvals, while this new 0W40 ESP does not (New, as there is European version of 0W40 ESP made from VISOM base).
Also, take into consideration that that Russian oil site states that 5W30 ESP has NOACK of 5.6%. That is remarkable for oil of that grade.
I guess that is why I am using it in BMW. Never had issues with it, does not burn a drop.
I get it at ecstuning for $7.99 a liter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Is this move to 0w40/dexos2 for all Corvettes from 2019-on, or just the special variants like the Z06 and ZR1?

All versions of the Corvette are now factory filled with this oil.

Quote:

There are a few dexos 2 5w30 oils available, such as PP Euro L at Walmart for about $25/jug

I have also considered the PP Euro L 5w30 too, I read on here that it might have an HTHS as high as 3.68.

That is old pds that states HTHS of 3.68 in PP Euro. They changed formula soon after. What is interesting about PP Euro L is very high NOACK of 11% in that league of oils.

Repeating from the M1 AP PQIA thread:

MSDS data:

M1 FS 0W-40: 40% - 70% GTL, 10% - 20% PAO
M1 ESP Formula 0W-40: 60% - 70% GTL, 5% - 10% PAO

Calculation using PDS data:

M1 FS 0W-40: A_Harman index = 0.865
M1 ESP Formula 0W-40: A_Harman index = 0.845

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Repeating from the M1 AP PQIA thread:

MSDS data:

M1 FS 0W-40: 40% - 70% GTL, 10% - 20% PAO
M1 ESP Formula 0W-40: 60% - 70% GTL, 5% - 10% PAO

Calculation using PDS data:

M1 FS 0W-40: A_Harman index = 0.865
M1 ESP Formula 0W-40: A_Harman index = 0.845

Why is M1 0W40 FS relevant for this topic?

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
How do the two oils compare in cold flow for winter or colder climates.

They are both good. If you live in climate with regular temperatures below -35c, then obviously 0W40 Formula ESP is better then 5W30 ESP.

I read through this whole thread and have some Q?'s.
I notice that when most of the Canadian members post anything about oil they sometimes complain about it being expensive. Why is oil so expensive in Canada? Those that are near the border, can't you just drive to an American WM and buy the oil there? I have a 5 qt. container of Castrol 0W40 that reads it's made in Belgium, and a 1 qt. container of Castrol 0W40 that reads it was made in Germany. Why (2) different countries for the same oil? Also, are the additive packs in each oil the same?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Why is oil so expensive in Canada?
A lot of things are more expensive in Canada, not just oil.

Quote:
Those that are near the border, can't you just drive to an American WM and buy the oil there?
They can, and some do. But one would have to decide if it's worth spending their time going through a border crossing twice just to save a few bucks.

Quote:
I have a 5 qt. container of Castrol 0W40 that reads it's made in Belgium, and a 1 qt. container of Castrol 0W40 that reads it was made in Germany. Why (2) different countries for the same oil? Also, are the additive packs in each oil the same?

Apparently there was some change to add pack when production shifted to Belgium again:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...on_#Post4673596

But this thread is not about Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I am aware of this. It is a 0W40 oil though. If I had started a post about it (Castrol) I'm sure some might not have liked that.
I apologize for hijacking this thread.
Thank you for the link to the Castrol thread.
smile.gif

I read through this whole thread and have some Q?'s.
I notice that when most of the Canadian members post anything about oil they sometimes complain about it being expensive. Why is oil so expensive in Canada? Those that are near the border, can't you just drive to an American WM and buy the oil there?

My wife and I drive across to Niagara Falls, NY about once every 4-6 weeks actually, and that's where I have been buying most of my oil and oil filters for the past few years. Oil prices are crazy in Canada but when you find some good sales you can get better deals up here. For instance I got 5L of Castrol 0w40 the other day for $29.69 CDN which is about $23 US so it was cheaper here than what I could have bought it for at Walmart in the US (plus I get slightly more by getting 5L vs 5 quarts)

It's always worth it for us to make the 2 hour round trip to the US, with all of the things we buy there, including filling up our car with gas, we still save money (even taking into account the cost of the gas and the cost of the toll to cross the bridge)

I drive across for oil and filters when I have other things to pick up at my shipping receiver there. For regular MSRP pricing, oil is definitely cheaper in the US. When there are good sales here the prices are decent. I got 8 jugs of PP5w30 on sale, and with the $10 MIR from Pennzoil they ended up costing just over $20 a jug. Mobil1 rarely goes on sale to that extent though.

I am aware of this. It is a 0W40 oil though. If I had started a post about it (Castrol) I'm sure some might not have liked that.
smile.gif

0W40 that OP asked about )Mobil1 Formula ESP) and 5W30 ESP are not same category as Castrol 0W40.
Castrol 0W40 is made for European gasoline engines, Mobil1 5W30 ESP is primarily developed for new diesel engines with DPF and SCR system, though in Europe is used also in gas engines due to low sulfur content in their gasoline. Mobil1 0W40 Formula ESP is also lower-SAPS oil (not quite like 5W30 ESP). So while Castrol is 0W40, that is THE only thing in common between Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 Formula ESP.
Why more expensive? Castrol 0W40 that you mentioned is around $70 for 5 liters in Madrid, Spain. I was 10 days ago in Madrid in Wal Mart style store (Carefour) and they have bunch of oils, and Castrol 0W40, Made in Belgium is 55 euros for 5ltr. Some Low-SAPS oils are close to 20 euros just for one liter. They do have sale of some oils, but regular price is high. Take into consideration that is tax included and VAT in Spain on oil products is 21%.

Oil prices are crazy in Canada but when you find some good sales you can get better deals up here. For instance I got 5L of Castrol 0w40 the other day for $29.69 CDN which is about $23 US so it was cheaper here than what I could have bought it for at Walmart in the US (plus I get slightly more by getting 5L vs 5 quarts)

As an admin, you should delete that post before WM Canada and CT stumble across it and jack the oil up even more.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

smile.gif

0W40 that OP asked about )Mobil1 Formula ESP) and 5W30 ESP are not same category as Castrol 0W40.
Castrol 0W40 is made for European gasoline engines, Mobil1 5W30 ESP is primarily developed for new diesel engines with DPF and SCR system, though in Europe is used also in gas engines due to low sulfur content in their gasoline. Mobil1 0W40 Formula ESP is also lower-SAPS oil (not quite like 5W30 ESP). So while Castrol is 0W40, that is THE only thing in common between Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 Formula ESP.
Why more expensive? Castrol 0W40 that you mentioned is around $70 for 5 liters in Madrid, Spain. I was 10 days ago in Madrid in Wal Mart style store (Carefour) and they have bunch of oils, and Castrol 0W40, Made in Belgium is 55 euros for 5ltr. Some Low-SAPS oils are close to 20 euros just for one liter. They do have sale of some oils, but regular price is high. Take into consideration that is tax included and VAT in Spain on oil products is 21%.

No to get off topic, but what is the advantages of either oil 0-40 esp or 0-40 fs in a gas engine say a GM 6.2l EcoTec either the Corvette, cammaro or truck engine being that they are nearly identical.

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
Originally Posted By: edyvw

smile.gif

No to get off topic, but what is the advantages of either oil 0-40 esp or 0-40 fs in a gas engine say a GM 6.2l EcoTec either the Corvette, cammaro or truck engine being that they are nearly identical.

Compare to? 5W30? Higher HTHS.
Obviously GM thinks that Corvette engine needs higher HTHS.
While in the US Corvette was specd. for ILSAC GF-5 5W30 oils, in Europe Corvette was always specd. for ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils, with minimum HTHS of 3.5cp. That is due to higher strain on European roads (speed). Maybe GM is getting better results on European engines, who knows.

I was wondering what the difference in say add package would be between the two 0-40 oils. As to which would be better suited for the 6.2 gm gas motor and being a GDI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back