Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs 0w40 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems strange to me that a 6.2L LT1 would have an oil recommended by the mfgr based on better gas mileage, a low HTHS 5w30. are the owners really buying that engine for gas mileage? I know i did not, it was not a consideration. the .gov requirements have paved this path i guess. and then reading the performance track guide, recommending that the owners use heavier oils; so it sounds like that the gas mileage argument/requirement went out the window, replaced by the need to properly protect the engine.

the new oil recommendation seems like a move in the right direction to me; although 0w is kind of extreme for my use; don't really see -10F, -20F and below outdoor temps. a 5w40 or 10w40 would make more sense to me. just sayin...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theeagleflies
it seems strange to me that a 6.2L LT1 would have an oil recommended by the mfgr based on better gas mileage, a low HTHS 5w30. are the owners really buying that engine for gas mileage? I know i did not, it was not a consideration. the .gov requirements have paved this path i guess. and then reading the performance track guide, recommending that the owners use heavier oils; so it sounds like that the gas mileage argument/requirement went out the window, replaced by the need to properly protect the engine.

the new oil recommendation seems like a move in the right direction to me; although 0w is kind of extreme for my use; don't really see -10F, -20F and below outdoor temps. a 5w40 or 10w40 would make more sense to me. just sayin...

It is CAFE requirements.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: theeagleflies

It is CAFE requirements.

I have a cousin that has some "different" POV's about the oil that is used in an engine. If it reads XWXX, XXWXX on the oil cap, you BETTER use that wt. or he says the engine will freeze or blow up! Also, he believes if you don't stick with the same brand name oil the same will happen. And, if you switch from conventional to synthetic it will cause major oil leaks to the tune of at least a minimum of a qt. every 500 miles or less!
grin.gif

Oh, and don't get me started on his beliefs about oil filters. SMH!

I'd like to know more about the 2 years of testing that went into this oil/engine while we are on the topic of Corvettes.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back