Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs 0w40 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman

I have also considered the PP Euro L 5w30 too, I read on here that it might have an HTHS as high as 3.68.

Interesting....?!?
I got a bunch of it on clearance.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Patman,
I'd use the 5W30 any day over the 0W40...

What's the main reason you'd choose the 5w30 ESP over the 0w40 ESP? For me the great thing is it's available right now, while the 0w40 has barely made into any Chevy dealers service bays just yet (despite the fact that it was promised to be widely available there by Feb 1) Definitely on paper it looks like the 5w30 is the better choice, but I'm curious if you know even more info about it Shannow? Is this oil popular down under?

Per OVERKILL, much less apparent VII effect in the 5W30 versus the 0W40....less opportunity for permanent shear.

Higher density in the 5W30 (probably) less volatility also.

Is there any evidence that they took an existing formula and Corvettised it ?

If there is, then what issues were with the existing formula in the Vette engine, and what did they do to fix it ?

Does that make it back compatible to the Euro engines ?

I saw a video a few months that was given at a Corvette event in Florida where they had a rep from Mobil 1 and one from GM talking about the new oil and one of them mentioned that the US formula came about after they took the UK formula and reformulated it. They didn't reveal what those changes were, perhaps reducing calcium levels or something like that?

I also heard that this new oil might be recommended for use in some European cars, but that's just a rumor at this point.

OK, so it's joint advertising fluff at the present time.

Behind that stand the marketing people of both companies.

Behind that stand the beancounters and legal teams

Behind that stand their respective engineering depertments

Originally Posted By: Shannow
OK, so it's joint advertising fluff at the present time.
Behind that stand the marketing people of both companies.
Behind that stand the beancounters and legal teams
Behind that stand their respective engineering depertments

Us engineers have to stand behind everybody else because WE'RE UGLY!!
We tried to take a pic of our team recently and the phone's image sensor committed suicide.
The phone called 911 on its own to report a severe outbreak of facial maladjustment.

;^)

I saw a video a few months that was given at a Corvette event in Florida where they had a rep from Mobil 1 and one from GM talking about the new oil and one of them mentioned that the US formula came about after they took the UK formula and reformulated it. They didn't reveal what those changes were, perhaps reducing calcium levels or something like that?

I also heard that this new oil might be recommended for use in some European cars, but that's just a rumor at this point.

EU formula. UK has the same as other eu countrys.

Another bonus for the 5w30 ESP is that it's noack is supposedly 5.6%. Not sure what the 0w40 is though, but I'm guessing it's not going to be that low. I've pretty much talked myself into using this oil, I just need it to go on sale, as I'm not paying $16.79 a liter for it! Does anyone know if Canadian Tire ever puts this stuff on sale? (40% off like they often do with the more common M1 choices would be nice)

I believe they do once in a while, but sales on Mobil (and Castrol for the matter) 1 L bottle specials have really diminished since the A3/B4 0w-40 offerings became available in jugs. That left the C3 products out in the lurch.

Yep, $11 Oz here too for Penrite C3 Dexos 2.

I burned through all my "Calibre" 5W30 synthetic back in the day, it was Supercheap's home brand, and rebottles Caltex C3 Synthetic...those were the day.

A search on NAPAs website shows that they carry 5w30 ESP in a drum for $3715! They don't list it in the 1L bottles but they do list the 0w30 ESP for $11.33 per liter. That's not Dexos2 certified though. I'm going to pop into a store and see if they might actually have some 5w30 ESP in stock. M1 is on sale there this month for 35% off although in the flyer it does say for the 4.4L jugs, so chances are even if they do have 5w30 ESP in the single bottles, it will still be full price.

Another alternative would be to wait for a CT or Partsource deal where they give you $25 off when you spend $50 (Partsource had a sale like that in December for example)

On paper, the 5w30 appears to be the better oil. Mobil 1 5w30 ESP has always been a strong formulation for it's intended application. I wonder why Mobil chose the 0w40 when the 5w30 was available, and arguably just as capable as the 0w40?

Originally Posted By: buster
On paper, the 5w30 appears to be the better oil. Mobil 1 5w30 ESP has always been a strong formulation for it's intended application. I wonder why Mobil chose the 0w40 when the 5w30 was available, and arguably just as capable as the 0w40?

I think they chose to come out with a completely new oil just to avoid confusion for Corvette owners. They would have a hard time convincing owners to switch from one 5w30 to a different 5w30, especially when they are promoting this oil as "one oil for both street and track use"

Was not recommending for a C7 … seems like an MB oil … I used to buy formula M 5w40 oil … think it went away with all the 0w40 movement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back